New Reef Parameter Monitors - Hydros Maven and Neptune Trident NP

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I'm about a week late to the party... Better late than never!

Read More: https://reefstable.com/blog/announcement-hydros-maven-neptune-trident-np

announcement-hydros-maven-neptune-trident-np.jpg

The Maven has all of the functionality of both Trident and Trident NP, in a mountable package, and no extra head unit needed.

The Trident NP unlocks full Nitrate and Phosphate Monitoring in the Apex Ecosystem!

The prices of these products could really make or break the controller wars! If I had to decide today, with what I know about how the 2 companies do pricing, I know which one I would pick.

Which automated water tester would you lean toward?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
personally, probably hydros. but the price point is ridiculous lol. i'm sure people will still buy either depending on which side they lean to. i'm happy to continue manually dosing/testing if it saves me money to buy other things that are subjectively more useful to my tank.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Trident NP doesn't come in low price, they are definitely going to lose market share. Their big advantage is that they will be on the market first, so they can get a lot of people to adopt the Trident NP with low price and lock them into their ecosystem.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I'm about a week late to the party... Better late than never!

Read More: https://reefstable.com/blog/announcement-hydros-maven-neptune-trident-np

announcement-hydros-maven-neptune-trident-np.jpg

The Maven has all of the functionality of both Trident and Trident NP, in a mountable package, and no extra head unit needed.

The Trident NP unlocks full Nitrate and Phosphate Monitoring in the Apex Ecosystem!

The prices of these products could really make or break the controller wars! If I had to decide today, with what I know about how the 2 companies do pricing, I know which one I would pick.

Which automated water tester would you lean toward?
I would lean towards the Maven being it is a totally stand alone unit, test all 5 things I would test, and capable of being used on 2 tanks.

motoxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might want to check out some of the marketing material. Someone on this site last week posted something from coralvue and looks like only one test per unit at one time. So X5 on the price if you are looking for all 5 tests at one time or do not want to switch reagents. Search for the post on this site for more info. I wish I had time to look for it and add the link. Sorry in advance to blow up any hopes and dreams.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well also with the Maven it is a stand alone unit but it is also a control/ brain that can be added to and built on to.
Easy to use and program I assume since the rest of the Hydros controllers are.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you are knee deep in Neptune gear and it’s working for you the transition to Hydros might be a little scary. I was unable to take the jump based on how much I rely on my Trident controlled dosing. With the release of the Maven and Launch it has changed all of that. The fact every piece of Hydros comes with the brain built in is just incredible. One brain goes down you use another. For me living in the UK I am so grateful that Hydros has built in the ability to run on our voltage with as little as an adaptor. Not a voltage change adapter just literally changing the shape of the plug pins! Awesome. For the record I run 3 large apex systems and was sent a Hydros X3 by a friend in the states to have a go on. Super excited for what Hydros have coming and what competition might mean for us as consumers.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might want to check out some of the marketing material. Someone on this site last week posted something from coralvue and looks like only one test per unit at one time. So X5 on the price if you are looking for all 5 tests at one time or do not want to switch reagents. Search for the post on this site for more info. I wish I had time to look for it and add the link. Sorry in advance to blow up any hopes and dreams.
This is false. One maven will test all 5 parameters. The reef factory smart tester is the unit that can only test 1 at a time.

Also mavens testing schedule does not require you to run a minimum number of tests per day or even per week. If you want to test mag once a week or every 2 weeks, you can. Saves a lot on reagent costs over time compared to trident that forces you to a daily test Minimum. The new trident NP appears to force you to test both nitrate and phos at least once per day, but maven does not have that strict limitation.

Last edited:

rpgraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also Focustronic’s Mastertronic Essential coming. Test 5 parameters like the Maven.
The Maven also is a Controller, it has drive ports and sense ports so you can use it to controlling dosing pumps to dose based on your test resiults.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can gather, both machines work on the same basic principal between the Maven and Trident NP.

Both:
- use a single stepper doser to pull reagents and sample
- use pinch valves to select source or direction of reagents/sample
- use a small vial for the test reaction
- use photo eyes for detecting color changes
- use proprietary reagents
- neither has published accuracy or precision values yet
- both need a waste bucket for post test water
- both dont use RODI to clean the unit
- both dont require calibration of the internal dosing pump
- no mention yet from either on how to calibrate N/P on machine
- have adaptive dosing algorithms to dynamically dose based on tested values
- in theory, both should be quiet testers since based off the same tech concept. X10 stepper dosers are quiet at low speeds and Maven uses the same driver IC as the X10.
- both support out of range alerts
- both have data graphs based on test results
- both have to be co-located to the testing source

Differences:
- Trident/Trident NP have a minimum DAILY testing requirement, Maven does not (unpublished but comments have confirmed its not a daily requirement, most likely weekly or longer)
- Coralvue designed the Maven to be self serviceable, so all internal parts will be available for sale. Neptune does not sell all parts. Only the service kit is available. Pumps/pinch valves are NOT available direct and must send in full unit for servicing, esp if the optical eye gets wet from overflowing.
- Test vial is external on Maven and internal on Trident. Easier to service and clean on Maven in comparison. Maven also isolates the vial from electronics, Trident does not and overflows have caused failures in the past.
- Test vial mixing. Trident uses a stirbar w/ motor. Maven uses an air pump and bubbles to mix the sample. Jury is out which is more effective.
- Back to the air pump. Maven has a micro air pump internal to 1) purge lines during portions of the testing and 2) mix the sample in the vial. Trident does not have this function.
- Need both the Trident and Trident NP to test the same parameters as the Maven.
- Trident/Trident NP needs a Apex brain to function. Maven can be stand alone OR part of a Hydros collective via the command bus.
- back to dynamic dosing, both have it but Apex requires you to use a DOS to perform. Hydros allows you to use any of their dosing options (X10, Minnow, simple drive port hydros doser, or any dumb AC doser)
- Maven is not IP rated, but has a much more protected enclosure. Trident is not as protected.
- Maven must be wall mounted (can make a DIY stand or 3D print something for free standing), Trident must be free standing, cant be wall mounted (unless you DIY a shelf).
- Trident/Trident NP holds reagent bottles internally, Maven's bottles are external.
- Maven supports accessories off the 2 built in drive ports (dosers, pumps, solenoids) or 2 sense ports (temp probe, leak sensor, level sensor). Trident only supports testing.
- Maven is a controller, so it also supports wifi devices like power strips, feeders, and 3rd party items like Sicce pumps. Trident is a module.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely leaning towards adding the Maven to my long list of equipment. I love all the features as listed above by our knowledgeable contributors.

I already have the Trident/Apex system and with the Maven, will have the ability to monitor PO4 and Nitrate, plus a backup/comparison to the readings I get from the Trident on the other three parameters. My experience with the Trident so far is really troubling. It is constantly down and consequently in need of any number of elaborate procedures to get it back on and working, from flushing sample line, to taking it apart and cleaning internal parts, to taking apart (once again) and cleaning the testing vial, not to mention issues on the Apex Fusion interface that need a service call to resolve (which is usually a week out, no bueno on our time sensitive marine reef systems).

I love so much about the Neptune systems (have DOS system and Apex along with many probes) that I've dealt with the Trident issues in stride so far. Time to experience the other side and I have heard so much positive feedback on the Coralvue system, I'm thrilled to integrate it into my aquarium.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait? Capable of being used on two tanks? That sounds awesome!!!
Oh yeah forgot about that one too. It has 2 inputs for sample water. And you can schedule different tests for each input and have results show up separately in the app.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can gather, both machines work on the same basic principal between the Maven and Trident NP.

Both:
- use a single stepper doser to pull reagents and sample
- use pinch valves to select source or direction of reagents/sample
- use a small vial for the test reaction
- use photo eyes for detecting color changes
- use proprietary reagents
- neither has published accuracy or precision values yet
- both need a waste bucket for post test water
- both dont use RODI to clean the unit
- both dont require calibration of the internal dosing pump
- no mention yet from either on how to calibrate N/P on machine
- have adaptive dosing algorithms to dynamically dose based on tested values
- in theory, both should be quiet testers since based off the same tech concept. X10 stepper dosers are quiet at low speeds and Maven uses the same driver IC as the X10.
- both support out of range alerts
- both have data graphs based on test results
- both have to be co-located to the testing source

Differences:
- Trident/Trident NP have a minimum DAILY testing requirement, Maven does not (unpublished but comments have confirmed its not a daily requirement, most likely weekly or longer)
- Coralvue designed the Maven to be self serviceable, so all internal parts will be available for sale. Neptune does not sell all parts. Only the service kit is available. Pumps/pinch valves are NOT available direct and must send in full unit for servicing, esp if the optical eye gets wet from overflowing.
- Test vial is external on Maven and internal on Trident. Easier to service and clean on Maven in comparison. Maven also isolates the vial from electronics, Trident does not and overflows have caused failures in the past.
- Test vial mixing. Trident uses a stirbar w/ motor. Maven uses an air pump and bubbles to mix the sample. Jury is out which is more effective.
- Back to the air pump. Maven has a micro air pump internal to 1) purge lines during portions of the testing and 2) mix the sample in the vial. Trident does not have this function.
- Need both the Trident and Trident NP to test the same parameters as the Maven.
- Trident/Trident NP needs a Apex brain to function. Maven can be stand alone OR part of a Hydros collective via the command bus.
- back to dynamic dosing, both have it but Apex requires you to use a DOS to perform. Hydros allows you to use any of their dosing options (X10, Minnow, simple drive port hydros doser, or any dumb AC doser)
- Maven is not IP rated, but has a much more protected enclosure. Trident is not as protected.
- Maven must be wall mounted (can make a DIY stand or 3D print something for free standing), Trident must be free standing, cant be wall mounted (unless you DIY a shelf).
- Trident/Trident NP holds reagent bottles internally, Maven's bottles are external.
- Maven supports accessories off the 2 built in drive ports (dosers, pumps, solenoids) or 2 sense ports (temp probe, leak sensor, level sensor). Trident only supports testing.
- Maven is a controller, so it also supports wifi devices like power strips, feeders, and 3rd party items like Sicce pumps. Trident is a module.
Great summary, thank you. The only reason to go with the Trident NP is if you are already knee deep in the Neptune ecosystem.

I have a feeling we will start seeing a lot of Tridents hit the for sale forums.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely leaning towards adding the Maven to my long list of equipment. I love all the features as listed above by our knowledgeable contributors.

I already have the Trident/Apex system and with the Maven, will have the ability to monitor PO4 and Nitrate, plus a backup/comparison to the readings I get from the Trident on the other three parameters. My experience with the Trident so far is really troubling. It is constantly down and consequently in need of any number of elaborate procedures to get it back on and working, from flushing sample line, to taking it apart and cleaning internal parts, to taking apart (once again) and cleaning the testing vial, not to mention issues on the Apex Fusion interface that need a service call to resolve (which is usually a week out, no bueno on our time sensitive marine reef systems).

I love so much about the Neptune systems (have DOS system and Apex along with many probes) that I've dealt with the Trident issues in stride so far. Time to experience the other side and I have heard so much positive feedback on the Coralvue system, I'm thrilled to integrate it into my aquarium.
Liked your post. I in the beginning was going to go for Apex 5 years ago or so but the 1st hydros came out at the same time I was looking or at least that's when I noticed it.
I am not good with understanding computer stuff at all and was still going to go Apex but then Hydros came out and I bought it just the control 2 since I didn't really believe it was going to be easy and didn't want to dump alot of money for something I wouldn't use..... correctly at least.
Man I had that rolling by the end of the day I installed it. That was 4 years ago and only problem I had was the leak rope stopped working and that was like 6 months ago called them and they actually replaced it free.
So I am assuming the Maven will be easy and they have so many of how to videos step by step easy to understand one's that it really does make it very easy.
Also their customer service for me atleast is over the top good and nice.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was answered before, so I apologize for the repetitive question if it was.

Can the Maven run as a standalone tester with zero other Hydros equipment. If so I would add this to my Neptune world to have redundant testing on 3 perimeters and the added bonus of nO3 & pO4 of the Maven.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was answered before, so I apologize for the repetitive question if it was.

Can the Maven run as a standalone tester with zero other Hydros equipment. If so I would add this to my Neptune world to have redundant testing on 3 perimeters and the added bonus of nO3 & pO4 of the Maven.
It sure can… and it would test all 5 on its own.. I have a full blown Neptune system and hydros wave engine that’s even stand alone with its own brain. The only downfall I see if someone uses the Neptune assisted dosing I’m not sure how it would work with the hydros but one of those computer people will figure out a hack haha!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back