New reef setup

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my last marine tank about 18 months ago due to a house extension and more hours at work. I am diving back in and have ordered a Red Swa Reefer 425 xl. I have had the longest couple of weeks waiting for a delivery. Only one more week to wait.

I want to keep an ongoing thread to keep track of the progress and to get tips and advice along the way.

Equipment:

2 x AI Hydra hd 26's
1 x Vortech MP40 qd
2 x Rossmont mx9800's mover and Waver
2 x Eheim Jager Heaters
Bubble Magus 7 curve
Refugium Baffle
Aqua Medic 4 x doser pumps.

I'm planning on having an SPS reef once the water has settles and matured. I will be putting small amounts of green star polyps in the meantime.

1 inch sandbed
Unknown quantity of reef rock and fake rock (I've been buying bits over the last two weeks)

20170115_143240.jpg
20170115_143741.jpg
20170115_143309.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my last marine tank about 18 months ago due to a house extension and more hours at work. I am diving back in and have ordered a Red Swa Reefer 425 xl. I have had the longest couple of weeks waiting for a delivery. Only one more week to wait.

I want to keep an ongoing thread to keep track of the progress and to get tips and advice along the way.

Equipment:

2 x AI Hydra hd 26's
1 x Vortech MP40 qd
2 x Eheim Jager Heaters
Bubble Magus 7 curve
Refugium Baffle

I'm planning on having an SPS reef once the water has settles and matured. I will be putting small amounts of green star polyps in the meantime.

1 inch sandbed
Unknown quantity of reef rock and fake rock (I've been buying bits over the last two weeks)

20170115_143240.jpg
20170115_143741.jpg
20170115_143309.jpg
Nice aquascape .. happy reefing .. be the longest week of your life waiting for your tank ..it was for me :D:p welcome too R2R

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

And thanks for sharing your build with us! Make sure you keep us updated as you go!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Welcome to Reef 2 Reef! I have to ask about the rock. Where did you get it?
Thanks for the welcome. I picked much of the rock up from my lfs "Oasis" in Salford. The left side is mainly "holey rock" which is very dense and not that porous. The top pieces seem to be more porous than the bottom. I just really liked the shapes and the large holes and caves etc. £2.50 per kg

The light grey is the fake rock, it's quite heavy (not hollow) and seems to have good surface area. I picked this up from a lfs selling on eBay.
To be honest i overpaid for this stuff.

The tall tower at the back is dry pukani again from Oasis lfs. I drilled and user acrylic rods and epoxi to shape. £6 per kg.

Equipment:

2 x AI Hydra hd 26's
1 x Vortech MP40 qd
2 x Eheim Jager Heaters
Bubble Magus 7 curve
Refugium Baffle

1 inch sandbed

20170115_143240.jpg
20170115_143741.jpg
20170115_143309.jpg

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape .. happy reefing .. be the longest week of your life waiting for your tank ..it was for me :D:p welcome too R2R
Thank Jason. I still don't have a confirmed delivery date yet which makes it worse. I have been told week commencing 23rd Jan. I'm filling up my days off visiting different fish shops dreaming about what I can have.

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170116_092017.jpg
20170116_092045.jpeg

Has anyone ever used these by Rossmont? They are supposedly the world's smallest pumps.

9800 l/h

I managed to pick these up for half price in a shop that was closing down. They were marked at £200 for the movers and £180 for the waver but with all items half price.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Jason. I still don't have a confirmed delivery date yet which makes it worse. I have been told week commencing 23rd Jan. I'm filling up my days off visiting different fish shops dreaming about what I can have.
I'm currently cycling an upgrade tank 90g .. but I still have no lights for it .. I will order next week .. I can't wait too set everything over .. but patience is a virtue ... I just hate waiting :mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:p:p:p

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling an upgrade tank 90g .. but I still have no lights for it .. I will order next week .. I can't wait too set everything over .. but patience is a virtue ... I just hate waiting :mad::mad::mad::D:D:D:p:p:p
Yes the waiting is killer.. plus I find myself spending more in the meantime. Are you posting pictures of your new setup? I'm new to this forum.
What lights are you going for?

ruth howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank set up! What wattage heaters did you get? The reason I am asking is that I have the reefer 350 and the Ehiem 300 watt heaters were too big to fit in my sump. Welcome to reef2reef!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the waiting is killer.. plus I find myself spending more in the meantime. Are you posting pictures of your new setup? I'm new to this forum.
What lights are you going for?
Yes I am posting pictures somewhere on here .. I'm also a newbie here
Here a foto of my current tank .. all this will be going in my 90g .. and a pict of my new tank with my aquascape.. I will be going for 2x 165w mars aqua full spectrum lights

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank set up! What wattage heaters did you get? The reason I am asking is that I have the reefer 350 and the Ehiem 300 watt heaters were too big to fit in my sump. Welcome to reef2reef!
Hi Ruth. I have gone for the same 300 watt heaters. I am hoping that the extra depth on the 425 will be enough, the heaters are huge though!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Coral! What is the coral below?

Screenshot_20170116-120533.png

I really like it.

I will follow your progress

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen one, I will research it. What flow and lighting do they like?
I'm gonna say medium flow and medium light ... I have a easyled light on that tank . Light is on roughly 73% of full strength ..

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! A relatively short break from the hobby but welcome back to it. Nice choice of tanks and looks to be a great start to a new build. Great rockscaping too. I'm definitely following along. Best of luck and happy reefing!

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna say medium flow and medium light ... I have a easyled light on that tank . Light is on roughly 73% of full strength ..
The more I read the more problems I seem to find. I'm not sure if I will have too much flow now? At first I was under the impression that more was better, but a few fish and corals I like prefer medium flow. Great being able to change the settings on led's! I'm guessing it will help with acclimatising of corals too, being able to gradually increase light.

OP
OP
Davies13

Davies13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! A relatively short break from the hobby but welcome back to it. Nice choice of tanks and looks to be a great start to a new build. Great rockscaping too. I'm definitely following along. Best of luck and happy reefing!
Thanks Mike. I found myself researching tanks and equipment for the last 4-5 months. It took some work (and bribery) convincing my partner to change her mind on a tank. She finally gave in! I will post regular updates onto this thread.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read the more problems I seem to find. I'm not sure if I will have too much flow now? At first I was under the impression that more was better, but a few fish and corals I like prefer medium flow. Great being able to change the settings on led's! I'm guessing it will help with acclimatising of corals too, being able to gradually increase light.
You will find those areas with different flow in your tank ... it's more a case of positioning a coral too a certain area

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back