New reef tank questions

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, it is a pleasure to have come across this forum. I had a small saltwater aquarium many years ago but honestly I have forgotten a lot of the information I had at the time. I am now older and have a family and own a home so I felt that now was a good time to return to a hobby that brought me a lot of joy last time I had one. This time however I have a little more money to invest (not a whole lot more). What I have now is a 55 gal. corner tank w/ a stand. I dont have the room to do a sump tank so I am going to use a hang on protein skimmer and filter set-up. Right now I have 50lbs. of crushed coral in the bottom and the tank filled with water. I have added my salt (instant ocean) to the specifications on the bucket and now have the tank running and filtering. Currently the tank is at 79.7° F. Now that I have put all that out there I was wondering what needs to be my next steps from here? Again I had a tank years back but nothing to this size and I am really open to any and all tip or advise I can get. Thanks in advance and I hope to here from you guys soon. I included a picture of my empty tank, lol. Hopefully with your guys help we can make it something my family and I can enjoy for many years to come

20170323_161218.jpg

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next thing you need is some live rock. It is generally suggested that you get about 1lb of live rock per gallon of water. If you want to start with base (dry rock) it can be done but will take longer. The rock is where your biological filtration will live. Once you have that, add an ammonia source (usually a piece of shrimp from the deli) and let the cycle begin.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will need 50lb of live rock as a rule of thumb. I have also heard that the live sand is better than the coral.. of there is any truth to that then I would need to do that before I get to much more in depth with the rock and whatnot. Also, I am still trying to find a good hang on protein skimmer so do I need to get that and install it before I get the live rock?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you've come to the right place, don't hesitate to ask questions or for suggestions :)
And we love pictures :D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to reefing

Live rock and live sand will help with your biological filtration a great deal. Look at good lighting and the biggest thing is to have patients during they cycling of the tank

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will need 50lb of live rock as a rule of thumb. I have also heard that the live sand is better than the coral.. of there is any truth to that then I would need to do that before I get to much more in depth with the rock and whatnot. Also, I am still trying to find a good hang on protein skimmer so do I need to get that and install it before I get the live rock?
I would have gone with the live sand, but there's more then one way.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I need to tear down what I have and do the live sand? I am not to deep into it at this point to turn around and correct a problem. If that is the way go then I want to go the best route possible to have a healthy and beautiful tank.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I need to tear down what I have and do the live sand? I am not to deep into it at this point to turn around and correct a problem. If that is the way go then I want to go the best route possible to have a healthy and beautiful tank.
I'm not sure, you may just be able to add live sand to what you already have. I have a 3" live sand bed in my tank. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people put crushed coral on top of the sand. It helps the sand not move around with flow in the tank. I believe the sand is very beneficial also. I do not do the crushed coral because I like the sand sifting animals. I would also suggest that you put your live Rock on the bottom, then the sand so if you ever get anything that would move sand it doesn't shift the Rock cousing rock to crack the tank or killing your stock
Welcome to R2R. Be careful I have a 55 gallon for 8 months and am know upgrading to a 160 gallon.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, you may just be able to add live sand to what you already have. I have a 3" live sand bed in my tank. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.
Okay, do you mind if I ask what size tank you have? I just checked nine from the outide and I have about 2" crushed coral in my 55 gal already

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people put crushed coral on top of the sand. It helps the sand not move around with flow in the tank. I believe the sand is very beneficial also. I do not do the crushed coral because I like the sand sifting animals. I would also suggest that you put your live Rock on the bottom, then the sand so if you ever get anything that would move sand it doesn't shift the Rock cousing rock to crack the tank or killing your stock
Welcome to R2R. Be careful I have a 55 gallon for 8 months and am know upgrading to a 160 gallon.
Okay, so with that knowledge it would be a good idea to pull the coral and set up the live rock and get sand. Could I still keep the water that's in there or do I need to drain and start from scratch?

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so with that knowledge it would be a good idea to pull the coral and set up the live rock and get sand. Could I still keep the water that's in there or do I need to drain and start from scratch?
I don't think you need to drain the tank. It will get cloudy, but it will settle.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so temporary plan for reef tank 2.0. Remove all the crushed coral from the bottom of the tank. Go to pet store and buy 50lb. live or dry rock and sand. (how much live sand do I need) after rock is placed in tank then replace sand along the bottom. Then continue with the filtering and try to start the cycling process.

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it. It does depending on how deep you want the sand bed. I like about 2 inches. It is possible to go without or have to or 6 inches. I think 1 or 2 inches is great

Blacktank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get dry sand and it will cycle with the tank, it will just take longer. I did 2/3 live and 1/3 dry. If you do use dry, rinse it really well first so it doesn't have as much done stuff floating in the water when you add it.

Use the same water, it is not a problem, as a matter of fact it would allow down your cycling if you replaced it, so keep it going as much as possible

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back