New reef tank setup

MNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This will be my first saltwater tank setup. I have been reviewing the forums and a few sites. I am really excited about getting into the hobby and have many questions. I figured, I better ask the experts.

Tank
The DT is a 60g cube (24x24x24) with 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 holes drilled in the bottom of the over flow.
There is another hole on the top of the over flow box. What is that for or what pipe should be connected to that? I had plan on using a Herbie overflow.

The return hole on the top left is also 1 1/2.
Tank picture and diagram is below.

Sump & plumbing
I have not decided on a sump size, but probably 30-40 gal and it will be located in the basement.

What would you recommend for pipe sizes on drain, emergency and return? PVC or flex pvc for the long runs ?
Should I be getting a 3/4 locline for the return into the tank?

Pump

Any recommendations on a pump with head pressure, I believe is about 20?
Do you recommend a lower gph pump and using powerheads for flow in the tank? I had plan on getting some powerheads anyways.

I was trying to find a lower watt pump. I was looking at Syncra SDC 9.0 WiFi Controllable Pump. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/syncra-sdc-9-0-controllable-pump-1000-2500-gph-sicce.html. The gph is way over kill and I would also need a ball valve to dial back the gph and direct it back into the sump.

Skimmer
Recommended Skimmer?
I was looking at Reef Octopus Classic 150INT 6
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-150int-6-internal-protein-skimmer.html

Lighting

Recommended lighting? I was looking at LED, but read concerns on blue lighting with small children. Not sure if any of that is true or bs.

Controller
I was looking at Apex but not thrilled on the price based on some recent reviews of the systems quality. I was thinking of using Raspberry Pi to monitor and control the device. I am open to any suggestions or what you would recommend for a controller.

Water changes
I was looking to automate water changes and feed water back into the return side of the Sump. The DOS module was one reason I was looking at Apex for a controller.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

DT_Tank.JPG

Tank_Plumbing.gif

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! Welcome to R2R!!

Cool plans on the tank!!

There is another hole on the top of the over flow box. What is that for or what pipe should be connected to that? I had plan on using a Herbie overflow.
The hole on the side of your overflow box is for your return line so that it can go through the box instead of over it.
What would you recommend for pipe sizes on drain, emergency and return? PVC or flex pvc for the long runs ?
Hmm...this article may be helpful on this: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pipe-dreams-the-in’s-out’s-of-aquarium-plumbing.29/
@kschweer and @143MPCo might be able to give some advice as well.
Any recommendations on a pump with head pressure, I believe is about 20?
Do you recommend a lower gph pump and using powerheads for flow in the tank? I had plan on getting some powerheads anyways.
I don't have any pump recommendations. @gcarroll may have some ideas for you. I definitely recommend not relying on your return for in-tank flow--use powerheads for that.
Recommended Skimmer?
I love my Tunze skimmer (I have the 9410). There are lots of good ones out there.
Recommended lighting? I was looking at LED, but read concerns on blue lighting with small children. Not sure if any of that is true or bs.
I use an EcoTech Radion G3 and love it! I have 2 small kids, and we haven't had any issues...I actually haven't heard of anything on this.
I was looking at Apex but not thrilled on the price based on some recent reviews of the systems quality. I was thinking of using Raspberry Pi to monitor and control the device. I am open to any suggestions or what you would recommend for a controller.
I really love my Apex. I have the classic system.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jason, Welcome to R2R. looking like a great setup.

OP
OP
M

MNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Welcome to R2R!!

Cool plans on the tank!!

The hole on the side of your overflow box is for your return line so that it can go through the box instead of over it.

Hmm...this article may be helpful on this: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pipe-dreams-the-in’s-out’s-of-aquarium-plumbing.29/
@kschweer and @143MPCo might be able to give some advice as well.

I don't have any pump recommendations. @gcarroll may have some ideas for you. I definitely recommend not relying on your return for in-tank flow--use powerheads for that.

I love my Tunze skimmer (I have the 9410). There are lots of good ones out there.

I use an EcoTech Radion G3 and love it! I have 2 small kids, and we haven't had any issues...I actually haven't heard of anything on this.
I really love my Apex. I have the classic system.

Thanks for the information! I need all the help I can get.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back