New Reefer 450--Question about emergency drain leak with pic

DogueDeBordeaux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manual states to fill overflow with 6" of water, and check for leaks. I did it was fine.
I have now filled the overflow to the top of the primary drain, and that leaves the top of emergency drain 2"-3" above the water.
Now, for some reason I get a few drops of water from the emergency drain. Maybe 15mls, or less in 24hrs. I do not understand how water can get into the pipe unless it has a small crack in the tube inside the overflow.
It is not leaking anywhere outside, or around overflow. The nuts are still glued to bottom, and all threads are dry. It's all coming from inside the emergency pipe. Maybe it does have a small hairline crack. The pic is how much water comes out 12+ hrs.

I only have water in the overflow.
The tank, and sump are empty. If there were water in the sump I would have never known this.
Should I order a new E-drain pipe for inside the overflow?

reefer450Edrain.jpg

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like this is a new tank. If so, I would contact Red Sea and see what they have to say before you fill this up with water. They should be able to do something or exchange this tank with a new one. I hear their customer service is great. Good luck.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Red Sea will send you a new pipe. When we got daughter's E-170, shipping company had punctured box with forklift damaging 2 panels of the stand. Red Sea sent us replacement at no charge.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back