New Reefer in MN

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this as a response in another thread, thought I'd just introduce myself and start a new thread here.

Hi Everyone! My name is Joe - I'm new here and am looking to start up a reef tank.

Years ago when I was in high school and college I had a 10 gal freshwater tank. Since then, I've always wanted to do a Salt Water tank.

I started researching over the past month or so and needless to say, I was a bit blown away by some of the start up costs I've seen. I've done some research and don't want to start too small so I don't have to upgrade a year or 2 down the road. I think I'd rather have a sump vs an AIO - seems that everyone that I've seen with an AIO ends up upgrading in a year or 2.

I've been looking on Craigslist here in the Twin Cities and nothing on there is catching my eye as far as a decent used system. Want to be around 90 gallon. Part of me also thinks that if I buy new, I know what I'm getting - not always the case with used - but obviously many here have been very successful buyng used.

Been looking at a new Red Sea Reefer 350 system. The quote I got was for around $7k (not including Tax) all in for tank, stand, filtration, skimmer, sand, rock, Apex, Netpune Analyzer/Doser, etc. That seems to be around the going rate if you're going to go new for a tank that size (had a Waterbox priced out and it was similar).

I'm able to get a special deal through Amex that will allow me to pay it monthly with no interest over 2 years - but I'm still having a hard time being close to $8k with tax before I even get any fish/coral. It's not that I can't afford it, I'm just having a hard time with that number.

One question I have is regarding the Neptune Analyzer/Doser - that's around $1k right there. Is that something that 3 months from now, I wish I would have bought? Special deal with Amex expires April 30, so if I'm going to get it, I'm going to get it now.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this type of system for a newbie and if I should just jump right in!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME !!! :cool:
Shop around , look for sales and you don’t need all the gadgets upfront for success . When I started they didn’t have most of what they have today . Been a lot of information upgrades through the years as well . we didn’t have a platforms like reef to reef to learn and share let alone social media . Try looking at the classifieds or market place on this platform . It’s a great hobby ,Good luck !!

Last edited:

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your heart set on a sleek rimless system like Red Sea or Waterbox? If you want to save a bunch of money, you could build your own system with a rimmed 75 or 90 gallon Aqueon reef-ready tank for a fraction of that. In my opinion, what you put IN the tank looks a lot cooler than spending a ton of money on a fancy glass box. I know that’s not a everyone’s opinion though.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The large water volume makes it easier on us noobs.
You can start the tank without the Neptune system and manually test / keep an eye on things.
No point having a controller if you don't know what to control.
There are a lot of controllers that come up in the classifieds if you feel you want it later.
I've never ran a trident analyzer and can only imagine its pretty nice but people have had successful reefs for years without them.

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I bought my first nano setup used, and I ended up having to replace about everything except the glass itself. All aquarium equipment has a shelf live, and buying used you have no way of really knowing how long things will last. The seller is likely not gonna let you fill a 90G tank to check for leaks.
My advice is to always buy new, and only used if it’s someone you want to try before upgrading.

Best of luck and welcome! :)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've had a lot of luck with used stuff and I enjoy DIY so this all at once, all new is a little foreign to me. nonetheless,
welcome2.gif
!

OP
OP
J

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone! I do like the look of the rimless. It’s going in an area of the house where everyone sees it - so we do want the tank and stand to look nice. I’m also not much of a DIY’er these days - too much going on.

I hear what you guys are saying about controller and analyzer and that makes sense. May consider doing without at first.

looking forward to getting up and running! Thanks in advance for all of the questions coming in the future!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, join TCMAS. It's the local forum here in MN. You can take a stab and post a LF used system or keep your eye out for people selling one.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune Trident isn't really going to be necessary until you have a lot of coral and as a new reefer it's best to take things slow the first year as your tank matures to avoid a lot of struggle that comes with quickly stocking coral in a new tank and moving too fast in general. There are also a couple options for controller and/or doser/tester that you may want to do a little more research before diving full into the Neptune suite.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this as a response in another thread, thought I'd just introduce myself and start a new thread here.

Hi Everyone! My name is Joe - I'm new here and am looking to start up a reef tank.

Years ago when I was in high school and college I had a 10 gal freshwater tank. Since then, I've always wanted to do a Salt Water tank.

I started researching over the past month or so and needless to say, I was a bit blown away by some of the start up costs I've seen. I've done some research and don't want to start too small so I don't have to upgrade a year or 2 down the road. I think I'd rather have a sump vs an AIO - seems that everyone that I've seen with an AIO ends up upgrading in a year or 2.

I've been looking on Craigslist here in the Twin Cities and nothing on there is catching my eye as far as a decent used system. Want to be around 90 gallon. Part of me also thinks that if I buy new, I know what I'm getting - not always the case with used - but obviously many here have been very successful buyng used.

Been looking at a new Red Sea Reefer 350 system. The quote I got was for around $7k (not including Tax) all in for tank, stand, filtration, skimmer, sand, rock, Apex, Netpune Analyzer/Doser, etc. That seems to be around the going rate if you're going to go new for a tank that size (had a Waterbox priced out and it was similar).

I'm able to get a special deal through Amex that will allow me to pay it monthly with no interest over 2 years - but I'm still having a hard time being close to $8k with tax before I even get any fish/coral. It's not that I can't afford it, I'm just having a hard time with that number.

One question I have is regarding the Neptune Analyzer/Doser - that's around $1k right there. Is that something that 3 months from now, I wish I would have bought? Special deal with Amex expires April 30, so if I'm going to get it, I'm going to get it now.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this type of system for a newbie and if I should just jump right in!

Plenty of beautiful tanks without controllers and plenty of failed with them. They will not bring you success. They can help lesson some maintenance. Only patience, time and experience can bring success.

You can always add one at any time and those packages usually do not save any money of you actually price it out anyways.

If you run into Dino’s and STN or brown jelly or velvet you may find the fact you spend 7k frustrating.

Perosnally I suggest to not buy a package unless it is large savings (probably not if new) and instead ease into things. Find the tank and sump/stand you like. Pick out your own skimmer and lights and so on. Add a controller later if you find you want one.

I recommend Cade aquariums. Top notch.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

Being so close to BulkReefSupply you could go scope out the dumpster and look for discarded equipment :p

Honestly, half the fun is picking everything out on a new build. Load up the cart online and see where the numbers fall if you have to buy it all in one go for the Amex 2yr financing. $7k ends up being a pretty high end build with top of the line equipment so you can do a lot with that budget.

Some things to consider is getting a 3ft 75g. It will give you the depth and you could get away with 1 LED fixture instead of 2 in a 4 footer. If you are going 4foot long, I would consider going up to a 120g for that 24" depth.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome! Also from southern metro area. I'll say this- I went with the budget 40 breeder tank and added all my equipment separately. I still broke $5000 my first year. Now I have all really nice equipment on a cheap, ugly tank that I hate. Go for the nice tank and stand and slowly aquire the other things you will eventually need. I would'nt get the controller at first. You might be one of those people that enjoys dosing by hand although dosing anything for you is a ways down the road. You will probably be more in tune with your tank if you don't automate everything. I think the only thing you should automate right off the bat is your ato water and light schedule! Hit me up if you ever need any micro brittle starfish, I have 1000s haha

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seapora makes some very affordable rimless reef-ready tanks that are well-built and cosmetically appealing as well. Their production numbers are way down right now with supply chain issues, but with a little patience, you can still find them at some LFS or used. If you don’t need the plumbing to all be precut plug and play, you can get a 40 breeder and make a DIY sump very easily, which will also save you some $. Personally, I don’t understand why people spend the premium to have precut colored plumbing and a fancy sump, when it’s going to be inside your stand anyway, especially if your finances are such that you’re going to be financing the purchases. To each their own, I guess...

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Here in Woodbury. Unfortunately I cant give a recommendation on an AIO system due to my tank was custom made. Not to get off topic but with you living in the Twin Cities one of the most important systems I recommend you install is an RODI system IMO. The water in your area is not suited well for a reef tank if that's what your going for. Very high in negative charged ions.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
I would say getting the whole package deal is not necessary. It will take you over a year just to learn what to test for and what all that equipment does.
If you like the tank, spend what you want to look at. The tank itself is important.
Equipment can be bought as needed and understood. You will need that tank, flow, lights (after cycled unless you use live wet rock).

If you are looking at a sump style or All in One, you will need a few different things like return pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Build your system rather than obtaining items you may not need.

welcome33.gif

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back