New Reefer Intro

55GReeferForNow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on everyone?? My name is Chad Free and I'm from Memphis, TN. I Work for the Memphis Fire Department as a Firefighter/Paramedic and it obviously does not pay enough for this Hobby lol. I am a new Reefer with a 55 gallon marine tank that has been up and running for a year now.

I have live rock and sand with a few fish and a couple cleaners at this time. I would like to think I am taking it slow while introducing fish to the system but I keep loosing fish here and there. Had one ick flare up that took all my expensive fish out (2-3 fish). Currently have one clown, a six line wrasse, emerald crab, and a cleaner shrimp.

I did a little research prior to actually starting the system and realized that I would need an RODI water changing station to make this go in the right direction. So, I built "my contraption" with a 6 stage RODI system to get started. Long story short..... A lot of money later. I feel like I have learned a lot along the way but still feel completely lost most of the time.

I'm still at the hang on the back filter stage because I know that when I venture into the sumps that it's going to be a whole new learning curve. Thanks for allowing me to come along and I am looking forward to learning more. Thanks

I have pictures if I can figure out how to navigate lol

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just outside of Memphis. Nice to meet you man. I started with a 55 and two HOB filters for redundancy. Nice to know there's more people close to this area. You use Memfish?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your losses as that is never a good experience.
Being here on R2R is a good start.
Keep monitoring your fish that are still alive, do some water testing Nitrite, Ammonia and Nitrates for now, when you got some # for us, post them here and we can help you further.
And Welcome of course.

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R;)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We have all been there before, don't worry you will eventually feel like you know what you are doing lol Even after years I still have to ask questions about things.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back