New Reefer needs help troubleshooting

miloreif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m new to the reef hobby, I’ve had saltwater fish for years but never kept coral. I recently set up a 30 gallon tank and it just finished cycling. I’ve added some clownfish and a wrasse and they’re doing great. I’ll list all my parameters and equipment below. Today I bought some Xenia and GSP as my first corals. However both have refused to open up and the Xenia is shrinking and shrinking. I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

I use Biocube salt with all the trace minerals with RO DI water. I have a good quality NICREW LED Coral light. I have two power heads positioned on opposite ends of the tank, facing in such a way that there are no dead zones. I always make sure my hands and clean and free of any traces or soap before doing any maintenance. I also dipped the coral at the appropriate dosage and temperature acclimated them accordingly. I feel like I’m doing everything right and I’ve done a heck of a ton of research. But I can’t even grow a Xenia?!! What am I missing?

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: 420 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.4 dKH
Magnesium: 1300 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm

Equipment:
HOB filter with charcoal, sponge, and biomedia
Protein Skimmer
Heater at 80F
2 power heads
NICREW LED reef light
Plenty of live rock and sand

I also dose with Microbacter7 weekly and just started using Genesis by Polyp Lab.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you just got them today you should anticipate them cozying up to your system and opening up within a day or two.
Rick And Morty Cartoon GIF

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep if there not doing good I found some look like they were melting away. Your water looks OK. When my corals were melting away it was due to high alk but your Alk looks OK. Maybe a photo in white light might give members a chance of what may be going on. Maybe take your phosphate off 0 . Everything looks good imo

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are looking pretty rough, then post a couple of pics please so we can see. As mentioned above, a new coral needs time to acclimate to a new tank, it could take hours, or days, even months for some finicky corals.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are they doing? Hope they opened up some! Upload some pictures if you get the chance, might allow for an experienced member to help diagnosing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back