New Reefer Saint Louis

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name Kyle. I am 26, married, and live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I’m pretty new to reefing. In fact I only fully set up my first saltwater tank in September of this year (2017). Actually I’m quite new to the fishkeeping hobby in general. My first ever aquarium was early 2016 when I purchased a second hand 20g hex freshwater tank. At the time a snorkeling trip in Florida had spurred my interest in fish keeping. I did a little research and decided at the time that saltwater would probably be to difficult and expensive for me. Within 6 months of keeping fish in this small freshwater setup I knew this was a hobby I would enjoy doing long term. I had visited a saltwater shop near me by accident and from that point I absolutely knew I had to try my hand at saltwater reefing. And so began my long tank build. There was a ton of prep work and research, and even upgrades along the way. I even went as far as taking down a wall in my home and reinforcing my floor to make way for the tank. When it was all said and done, it was about a year later and I ended up 6ft 210g bare bottom room divider with a 40 gallon diy acrylic sump that I absolutely love. After having been an appreciative reader of reef2reef for the last year, I feel it is finally time I join the community and share my experience (or lack of) with other reefers. I’ll try to make a tank thread in the near future. Sorry I can’t seem to find the button for posting pictures/attaching files to this thread (maybe I’m too new to the forum?). Anyways thanks for reading and happy reefing.

Kyle

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Kyle to R2R and thanks for signing up. If you're using the web version of the site, you should see a button at the bottom of the text block when posting that says "Upload a File". Click that, choose your picture, and you're good to go. Give it a shot as we all love pictures.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyle, welcome to R2R and reefing.:)

That is pretty cool the you are using the tank at a room divider

It's going to be a cold one up there today and tomorrow!

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Kyle to R2R and thanks for signing up. If you're using the web version of the site, you should see a button at the bottom of the text block when posting that says "Upload a File". Click that, choose your picture, and you're good to go. Give it a shot as we all love pictures.

Thanks for the tip. Trying this from the Apple app so we will see if this works. Here are a few pics of the aquarium

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kyle I'm in Carbondale il...Check out SLASH St.Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists...they have a Facebook and web page...They do 2 annual frag swaps that are pretty impressive...1 in spring the other in fall...

I’ll have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef @TheKyle! You'll love it here!

I'm in Lake Saint Louis, so welcome fellow metro saint Louis reefer!

We are blessed to have some outstanding saltwater stores here in the area! What's your favorite?

Your tank is very nice and looks as you have done your homework on reef keeping! Bravo!

Once again, welcome to the community!:);Singing

OP
OP
TheKyle

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef @TheKyle! You'll love it here!

I'm in Lake Saint Louis, so welcome fellow metro saint Louis reefer!

We are blessed to have some outstanding saltwater stores here in the area! What's your favorite?

Your tank is very nice and looks as you have done your homework on reef keeping! Bravo!

Once again, welcome to the community!:);Singing

Appreciate the warm welcome. Im in south county/oakville area and haven’t been to any of the stores up your direction yet. The three I visit are corner reef, seascape, and gateway aquatics. The corner reef is by far my favorite place to go, everyone there is super helpful and friendly. Super excited to hear they are likely moving to Missouri side of the river soon.

What are your favorite stores?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back