New reefer starting with 28g jbj nano cube need help understanding the scourge of reefing. Mantis Shrimp

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need whatever tips tricks and knowledge people can give me. This is my 2nd try the first time ended miserably all my fault with many mistakes. Now im starting fresh in a new house trying to get a tank set up for a Mantis shrimp and maaaaaybe two clowns. If all goes well in this tanks first year I want to jump to a bigger 40g but im still worried and theres a lot of information out there. Ive got all the necessities or at least I think I do but am willing to go buy what I need.

20200120_221856.jpg 20200120_221903.jpg 20200120_221914.jpg 20200120_221836.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again! As said before def need more sand and caves. Hell want to be able to hide without you seeing him.
Reef lighting has been stated to cause shell rot on these guys so ambient light or low blue light.
And i dont think any fish are a good idea.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question. What went wrong the 1st time? What questions do you have?

Dont over think it. It's all about keeping water. You really need your own rodi system if you dont have one. Weekly water changes should keep your levels good. If not you may need a skimmer or other nutrient export method.

Which mantis are you wanting?

Last edited:

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Welcome to R2R. As mentioned above water quality is a big key and that would include stable parameters. Sometimes larger tanks make that easier but patience and research are essential to any tank. I like your scape.

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first time I still lived in Los Angeles, Ca and put my tank under a windowsill... without an ATO in the summer. My salinity bounced around every day and the salt just kept creeping out. I dont think that I mixed the salt water well enough. I tried xenia and GSL thinking they're bulletproof and I could learn with them but they couldnt survive...

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are updates to the tank. Some critters and LPS to hopefully add color with the Mantis shrimp, planning on picking one up from a restaurant near by that sells them to eat.

IMG_20200209_114449_416.jpg IMG_20200209_114449_414.jpg 20200211_185052.jpg 20200209_163828.jpg

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again! As said before def need more sand and caves. Hell want to be able to hide without you seeing him.
Reef lighting has been stated to cause shell rot on these guys so ambient light or low blue light.
And i dont think any fish are a good idea.
Lighting will cause shell rotting on them? Ive never heard of that before... now im worried because ive got a light on it in hopes that some LPS might add color and a safe spot for 2 clowns.

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough question. What went wrong the 1st time? What questions do you have?

Dont over think it. It's all about keeping water. You really need your own rodi system if you dont have one. Weekly water changes should keep your levels good. If not you may need a skimmer or other nutrient export method.

Which mantis are you wanting?
My first time I still lived in Los Angeles, Ca and put my tank under a windowsill... without an ATO in the summer. My salinity bounced around every day and the salt just kept creeping out. I dont think that I mixed the salt water well enough. I tried xenia and GSL thinking they're bulletproof and I could learn with them but they couldnt survive...

There are a few local restaurants here that sell/cook on site mantis shrimp so I thought id sace a baby one they are colorful here and there mostly zebra patterns tho. Whichever seems more peaceful and 2-3 inches long.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are a few local restaurants here that sell/cook on site mantis shrimp so I thought id sace a baby one they are colorful here and there mostly zebra patterns tho. Whichever seems more peaceful and 2-3 inches long.

Im going to give it to you straight. I think your setting yourself up for failure getting one of those mantis. I dont know any that stay small with zebra pattern. You want to avoid deep water mantis with your setup.

I don't know where you live now, but if you could find a shallow water smaller mantis it would serve you better. Wennerae, havenesis, or smithii would be awesome. Havenesis was my favorite.

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to give it to you straight. I think your setting yourself up for failure getting one of those mantis. I dont know any that stay small with zebra pattern. You want to avoid deep water mantis with your setup.

I don't know where you live now, but if you could find a shallow water smaller mantis it would serve you better. Wennerae, havenesis, or smithii would be awesome. Havenesis was my favorite.
So since my last try I moved to Okinawa, Japan not sure exactly what species live out here but fisherman catch them around the island and sell to restaurants. The waters about 20ft deep at most in those areas. My main problem now is equipment reefing isnt a big thing here and power runs on 50hz vice American 60 so things I brought either dont work or aren't as efficient. That said I had to grab 2 ehime 600s because my pumps wouldn't work, reef lighting is hard to come by and shipping something international when I dont even know if its gonna work is a whole different issue.

OP
OP
Schwab94

Schwab94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Welcome to R2R. As mentioned above water quality is a big key and that would include stable parameters. Sometimes larger tanks make that easier but patience and research are essential to any tank. I like your scape.
Thanks im trying to build as many caverns as possible before adding the main inhabitant. And im thinking by building up all the rock corals can get the light they need from like a kessil A80 and not have a lot of light penetrating below where the mantis lives most of the time.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since my last try I moved to Okinawa, Japan not sure exactly what species live out here but fisherman catch them around the island and sell to restaurants. The waters about 20ft deep at most in those areas. My main problem now is equipment reefing isnt a big thing here and power runs on 50hz vice American 60 so things I brought either dont work or aren't as efficient. That said I had to grab 2 ehime 600s because my pumps wouldn't work, reef lighting is hard to come by and shipping something international when I dont even know if its gonna work is a whole different issue.

Ah gotcha. We're out of my realm of knowledge on this one. I would imagine they'd be a larger spearer though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back