New reefer with sick royal gramma that WILL NOT BE CAUGHT for treatment

Pescado Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone - After reading your forum for the past year or so, I think I'll finally formally ask my first question! It's amazing how much knowledge I've been able to gain just by browsing threads but now I'm really looking for some advice on this one.

I had aquariums when I was a kid but just set up my first reef tank in a couple decades a couple months back. I cycled the tank, added a couple clown fish, corals, snails, etc. and everything was going swimmingly. I then went to the same LFS that I bought the clown fish and a couple weeks later decided to buy a royal gramma. I didn't quarantine him (once again, new here but spent tons of time reading what I should have done differently...) acclimated him and dropped him in. Over the first week he behaved completely normal, ate well, active, no apparent issues at all. A week or two ago however, I noticed him rubbing up against rocks and sand regularly. He has a couple marks on his sides but they look more like scratches from rubbing on things, not the typical pictures I've seen of Ich, Velvet, brook, etc. Plus, he's been showing these signs for about the last 1-2 weeks with no obvious decline in function beyond the scratching. I know it's probably impossible to diagnose without a picture but hopefully my description will be a good starting point. Based on this, I'm starting to think he has some type of intestinal parasite or possibly flukes.

So here is the predicament... I've been trying to catch him to put him in a hospital tank for the past week and i've pretty much given up. Every time I go near with a net he darts into one of the rock caves and the holes in the individual rocks are big enough for him to hide in, so I can't get him out without breaking apart rocks which doesn't sound feasible. So here are the options I'm considering:

1 - Let this play out and see if his condition worsens or improves
2 - Treat the whole DT with Prazipro which is supposedly "reef safe" but I'm a bit paranoid about this approach since I realize that's not the ideal way to apply this product. Based on his conditions, I think Prazipro might be the fix, otherwise he'd probably be dead by now after dealing with this for the past 1-2 weeks.
3 - Anything else??

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my DT with prazi with no problems. I had a gramma with flukes that got through during QT. I did three rounds, but he was still scratching. I will be using the powder form in the future. Point: I would try the powder form of prazi if you can't get it out.

I had a damsel I needed to get out. You would never get him with a net; he could see it across the room. I used a large piece of plexi and one evening I boxed him in against the glass. Lot's of people recommend trying fish traps.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help with a disease diagnosis but as for catching him most fish are much easier to catch at night. Of course that doesn't matter if he hides in the rockwork at night which I suspect may be the case.
Like mentioned you can also buy fish traps that supposedly work pretty well.

OP
OP
P

Pescado Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my DT with prazi with no problems. I had a gramma with flukes that got through during QT. I did three rounds, but he was still scratching. I will be using the powder form in the future. Point: I would try the powder form of prazi if you can't get it out.

I had a damsel I needed to get out. You would never get him with a net; he could see it across the room. I used a large piece of plexi and one evening I boxed him in against the glass. Lot's of people recommend trying fish traps.
Can you help explain why you would recommend the powder form? Is this recommendation because it's a better medication or does it have something to do with reducing the risk level of treating the whole display?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading all over reef2reef and humblefish's site, and it was mentioned that the powder can sometimes be more effective over the liquid. I've done three rounds of liquid, and my gramma is still scratching. So I'm switching to powder going forward. Nothing to do with DT tank risk. Understand the powder is a pain though, because you need to dissolve it in something other than water prior to dosing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back