OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@speedinc, you have tried many named brand lights as well. For my Fiji Cube 32g AIO sps tank (24"Lx15"W16"H, display dim), I will need one more Uno2 to cope with shadowing at the far edge SPS that are placed 8 inches below the water face and 2 inches from the side walls.

Relatively compare Uno2 to my old xr15 G5 Pro:
- Spectrum color: Uno2 color is vivid and "fuller". xr15 is a bit "harsh" under comparison.

- Power/PAR: ~250% more powerful than xr15 Pro. (270w vs. 105w). A small nuclear power plant. Solid numbers who can debate.

- Product quality: massive heat sink, quiet fan (mine is constantly running at different speeds due to my cooler temperature preference), LED info display, high quality waterproof LED drive (power supply), glass face cover (xr15 uses plastic, mine had small cracks around screws :eek:, )

- 90 and 120 degree reflectors are both included: the 90 degree reflector is a real treat to the eyes - NO glare. 120 is ok. xr15, nay...

- Interface, functions and features: Uno2 has too much to list. The level of details on tuning each light spectrum channel, cloud, moon, (yes, you can choose whatever spectrum, intensity or combination of them), cooling fan speed based on your desired temperature, etc. are immense. If you are into it, you will LOVE it. It's up to the users that they want to be advanced users or newbies using all those bloody excellent pre-set defaults (I am using them with minor tweaks). So, options are available for all. In this regard, Uno2 wins by a mile long.

- 3-Year long warranty: 3 vs. 1 = 300% longer.

- Not too pretty software interface: Uno2 provides stable, fully practical and functional interface but it won't win the beauty contest nor the friendly "look" (I do mean appearance because Uno2 is not difficult to use). If you want iPad user experience, finger gestures, colorful graphics or fancy modern high-tech look, you will be disappointed.

** (I was using 120 degree reflector till the shadowing issue occurred. My temporary solution is using the 90 degree reflector, moved Uno2 off the center a few inches to the right, and installed AI Prime at the far left. Still Uno2 covers most of the area. Again, I must mention that it is NOT the light/PAR spread(coverage) issue, it is the shadowing. Wish Reefi Lab make panel LED like Straton Pro in the near future - Shadow Be Gone.

Reefi Lab compares their reflectors and their spreads. This is the Youtube link. Reeflectors & Spreads

More users references for your research
ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro - the telegraham take

I am saving money for the second Uno2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadowing issues:

D-Aquaman sps
IMG_3171-a.jpg

Fruitopia
IMG_3179-a.jpg

Big-R Walt Disney
IMG_3173-a.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a MQ-510 yesterday. Did a couple of tests with it on a Reefer 200XL, @LARedstickreefer your readings are pretty similar to mine. On the default SPS setting, in the middle I got 600+ par and 250-350 on the sandbed with the lights hanging 10" with the 120* reflectors
Regarding your Reefi’s lights, how many are you using on your reefer 200xl and what is your approximate spread measurements. I’ve got 8 foot tank, 34 inches deep and 26 inches high. This is in-wall tank, so I can hang the lights at any height and not have to worry about spillage. Trying to decide if I hang these perpendicular above my tank and horizontal - thus the reason for my spread measurement question. Also, I love the shimmer I get from Kessil lights, so trying to decide if I should supplement reefi lights with Kessils A360x (since I own then already) or does the Reefi put-off a similar shimmer as Kessil?

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a further experiments, the shadowing issue has become less of an issue. So, now I am back to using a single Uno 2 and those SPS at far edges seems to slowly recover and doing OK. I believe those SPS needed more time than usual to to adapt the new Uno 2 and I over reacted. Of course, if I had the budget I would add 1 more and blanket the entire tank. And let them become a LED panel. I know that's over kill.

I sincerely apology that I hastily jumped to the conclusion on the shadowing issue and causing a lot of people's concerns.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have the same bolt pattern as a echotech? I run the echotech rail across my tank and was hoping i can use it with these lights

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested too. I did get me one of those sweet lights and I do like it. Still don’t see the point of the screen but it looks cool in person. Spread seems pretty good.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested too. I did get me one of those sweet lights and I do like it. Still don’t see the point of the screen but it looks cool in person. Spread seems pretty good.
Do you mean the small LED display screen?

The display screen is extremely helpful when you troubleshoot the internet connectivity issue. Three days ago, I lost the lighting connectivity when I upgraded my older home network to the TP-Link Mesh WiFi system. I can't imagine how I could re-connect without the small LED display that shows system vital information (the error code, IP address, etc.) You may not see the value till the day come.

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to order one to use over my IM Lagoon 25g (23” x 15” x 11”). As I’ll be upgrading to a 75g in the coming months, I figured I would start with the lights to get my corals (mostly SPS) used to them. I currently have 3 AI Blades (2:1 Grow:Glow) over the tank now and plan to keep using the Grows as fill lighting to reduce shadowing.
How has your shadowing issue came along since your last post to this thread?

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a second Uno Pro a month ago. For benefits, in addition to reducing shadowing, it prolongs the LED life by cutting the light intensity (wattage output) by half on the previous single Uno 2. My PC Rainbow starts growing like weeds and extending more to the left.

IMG_3578.JPG

Last edited:

Tex11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you swap to the 90 degree reflectors? I've got an IM 25 Lagoon and I've noticed the shadowing on the edges of my acros as well. I'm floating the idea of a second one. Seems a bit overkill for a tank this size haha

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you swap to the 90 degree reflectors? I've got an IM 25 Lagoon and I've noticed the shadowing on the edges of my acros as well. I'm floating the idea of a second one. Seems a bit overkill for a tank this size haha
Yes, I swapped to the 90 degree reflectors. It is SO nice of having none glare at all.

I had the same shadowing issue as yours. Since I made the mistake of building the reefscape too high, those sps on top at the middle of the tank blocking most of the bouncing light. That increased the shadowing problem.

I got to mention this: it's the shadowing issue, NOT much about the spread issue.

I knew it will be overkill with 2x Uno 2s for a 24"x15" tank (display footprint). But I rather not to deal with the shadowing issue especially at the far edge. In addition, 2x Uno 2s will have a LOT MORE even spread and less hot spot, and prolong the LED life span than using just one light.

If you can afford the second Uno 2, why not? I am very happy with my current setup and think it is well worthy.

Tex11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I swapped to the 90 degree reflectors. It is SO nice of having none glare at all.

I had the same shadowing issue as yours. Since I made the mistake of building the reefscape too high, those sps on top at the middle of the tank blocking most of the bouncing light. That increased the shadowing problem.

I got to mention this: it's the shadowing issue, NOT much about the spread issue.

I knew it will be overkill with 2x Uno 2s for a 24"x15" tank (display footprint). But I rather not to deal with the shadowing issue especially at the far edge. In addition, 2x Uno 2s will have a LOT MORE even spread and less hot spot, and prolong the LED life span than using just one light.

If you can afford the second Uno 2, why not? I am very happy with my current setup and think it is well worthy.

That is awesome! I will probably end up doing it, and just tell myself it is for a bigger tank down the road.

I would like to put the 90 reflector back on as well, it complete cuts that glare, and really gives the tank a different look. It is hard to explain!

Tex11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a second unit :grimacing-face:

Did you end up keeping your same lighting settings and just half the master? I'm also hoping they both fit with my probe holder and skimmer. I did some napkin measuring, we'll see...

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a second unit :grimacing-face:

Did you end up keeping your same lighting settings and just half the master? I'm also hoping they both fit with my probe holder and skimmer. I did some napkin measuring, we'll see...
Grats. Yes, I keep the the same lighting settings except Master Intensity.

I used 85% Master Intensity (at Peak period it produced 168 Watts) for 1 Uno 2 Pro. ** Note: I cut down 50% or more intensity on individual color channels Cool, Warm, Amber and Lime.

Now, I am using 40% Master Intensity (at Peak period it produces 70 watts) for each of the two Uno 2 Pro.

Compared two situations (1x168 watts vs 2x70 watts), now I don't need to crank up higher Master Intensity to compensate the far Left or Right edges. For example, far left edge 163 par (before) vs 443 par (now).

Last edited:

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended spread for a ReFi Uno Pro V2? In other words how many units would I need for my 215 gal tank (72" Long x 24" front to back x 28: Deep) ? SPS dominated.

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended spread for a ReFi Uno Pro V2? In other words how many units would I need for my 215 gal tank (72" Long x 24" front to back x 28: Deep) ? SPS dominated.
email Dan Lou of Reefi Lab for qualified recommendations. He is very responsive. Your question seems simple and straight forward for him to answer. In addition to how many lights to use, he may give you a layout of lights placement if you ask. That was what he did for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back