New Reefmat Install- Monster Flow Test

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium maintenance company so I spend a lot of time cleaning aquariums. I also spend a lot of time cleaning filter socks and changing filter pads. I don't like filter socks or filter pads, especially when you have to clean 50-60 weekly.

I snagged a few of the ReefMat 1200's when our LFS got the first round of stock. The first went on a RedSea Reefer 650 Peninsula. I ended up deviating from the recommended install a little to leave the first sump chamber where the water drains into the sump. This is filled with rock rubble and is a great place for a copepod refugium as it is very low flow (only the emergency overflow drain). I have the ATO reservoir over this area anyways so I wasn't going to lose any space leaving that chamber intact. I did remove the sock trays and middle sock partition as this tank does not use the large black sump divider. See below.

E0195BC9-63FD-47AE-B238-A44F6EE3E588.jpeg

67A5A544-1DA1-4011-848E-97393BDDE8E7.jpeg

719F7EE7-094E-4485-BCC7-C85C6E3121C1.jpeg

The second install is the fun one. Its a 500 gallon acrylic reef tank. The initial company that built and installed it put a bioball sump under this massive reef tank. Not ideal and not easy to service. I replaced it with an open 75 gallon aquarium with the plan of adding a filter roller mat and skimmer. Due to the limited availability of stock on release, I only have one of the ReefMats for this tank until a restock comes in, hopefully in two to tree weeks when I can grab the second one.

The tank has a single 2" drain. The plan is to split it into two ReefMat 1200's but for now, we will run it on one and really see if it can handle the stated 2300gph flow. I designed and 3d printed a few 1.25" adapters for the inlet connection on the ReefMat as the provided connecters only go up to 40mm piping. The 2" drain is split into a tee with 1.25" piping and connected to both the right and left sides of the ReefMat, to make sure that the drain flow isn't being restricted too much.

21F4BDC5-0EE0-4569-A1DD-E9DF68509483.jpeg

I am installing it later today and will be able to see if the ReefMat can handle the flow stated by RedSea. I'll post video once I can get it up and running.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 750xxl with sicce syncra sdc 9.0 rated to 2500gph. It can handle it. I had to turn it down to 90% and it's fine.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if I could get away with a ReefMat 500 for my Sicce SDC 9.0 (it runs at 45%).
I don't see why not, but I feel like if you could fit the bigger model the roll might last longer. You would have to do some math to see price per sqft of material.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not, but I feel like if you could fit the bigger model the roll might last longer. You would have to do some math to see price per sqft of material.
I'm changing filter socks every 2 days, so even 2 weeks would be a game changer...

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquarium maintenance company so I spend a lot of time cleaning aquariums. I also spend a lot of time cleaning filter socks and changing filter pads. I don't like filter socks or filter pads, especially when you have to clean 50-60 weekly.

I snagged a few of the ReefMat 1200's when our LFS got the first round of stock. The first went on a RedSea Reefer 650 Peninsula. I ended up deviating from the recommended install a little to leave the first sump chamber where the water drains into the sump. This is filled with rock rubble and is a great place for a copepod refugium as it is very low flow (only the emergency overflow drain). I have the ATO reservoir over this area anyways so I wasn't going to lose any space leaving that chamber intact. I did remove the sock trays and middle sock partition as this tank does not use the large black sump divider. See below.

E0195BC9-63FD-47AE-B238-A44F6EE3E588.jpeg

67A5A544-1DA1-4011-848E-97393BDDE8E7.jpeg

719F7EE7-094E-4485-BCC7-C85C6E3121C1.jpeg

The second install is the fun one. Its a 500 gallon acrylic reef tank. The initial company that built and installed it put a bioball sump under this massive reef tank. Not ideal and not easy to service. I replaced it with an open 75 gallon aquarium with the plan of adding a filter roller mat and skimmer. Due to the limited availability of stock on release, I only have one of the ReefMats for this tank until a restock comes in, hopefully in two to tree weeks when I can grab the second one.

The tank has a single 2" drain. The plan is to split it into two ReefMat 1200's but for now, we will run it on one and really see if it can handle the stated 2300gph flow. I designed and 3d printed a few 1.25" adapters for the inlet connection on the ReefMat as the provided connecters only go up to 40mm piping. The 2" drain is split into a tee with 1.25" piping and connected to both the right and left sides of the ReefMat, to make sure that the drain flow isn't being restricted too much.

21F4BDC5-0EE0-4569-A1DD-E9DF68509483.jpeg

I am installing it later today and will be able to see if the ReefMat can handle the flow stated by RedSea. I'll post video once I can get it up and running.
Looks really clean! Can you say if you adapter plus the PVC elbow has a smaller radius (ie takes up less horizontal space) than the supplied flex tubing does? Trying to find a more compact way to install this.

Also, would you be willing to share the STL file for the 3D printed adapters?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back