New royal gramma not eating, laying on side/staying still, and stringy poop!

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this gramma a couple days ago and dropped it into a qt with 2.0 copper as the water it was in also had 2.0 copper. I tried feeding it since I had it and there was no response. It is often seen hiding between the pvc and laying still and breathing heavily, showing no interest towards food. I decided to check on it today more closely and noticed it had stringy white poop.

I want to treat the qt with prazi right now but there is copper present. If I do a 50% water change and the copper becomes 1.0, can I dose prazi?

video: https://youtube.com/shorts/E2hbMcJqBBE?feature=share

it was briefly laying on its sides which I was not able to capture in the video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got this gramma a couple days ago and dropped it into a qt with 2.0 copper as the water it was in also had 2.0 copper. I tried feeding it since I had it and there was no response. It is often seen hiding between the pvc and laying still and breathing heavily, showing no interest towards food. I decided to check on it today more closely and noticed it had stringy white poop.

I want to treat the qt with prazi right now but there is copper present. If I do a 50% water change and the copper becomes 1.0, can I dose prazi?

My question is with the stringy white poop, is it internal parasite or the food such as Mysis shrimp it was fed.
Should you need to dose prazi or my prefernce Ruby Rally Pro, you will need to add carbon to reduce/remove the copper content and test to assure the copper level is down.
I would like some additional assurance to confirm from @Jay Hemdal

Breathing rate not rapid but labored suggesting possible rise in ammonia.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is with the stringy white poop, is it internal parasite or the food such as Mysis shrimp it was fed.
Should you need to dose prazi or my prefernce Ruby Rally Pro, you will need to add carbon to reduce/remove the copper content and test to assure the copper level is down.
I would like some additional assurance to confirm from @Jay Hemdal

Breathing rate not rapid but labored suggesting possible rise in ammonia.
What test kits are you using ?
The poop doesn’t seem like it was from the food, it looked very off. Can’t I just do some water changes and then prazi instead of carbon? I just tested with api (I know it isn’t the most reliable) and there wasn’t any signs of ammonia but I will dose prime to be safer. Also copper is 1.5 after test from Hanna checker

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, you can dose prazi at half dose copper. The deep breathing is serious, are you sure the water quality is good? If so, then it is some gill disease: bacteria, flukes, or protozoans. I wouldn’t worry about the stringy feces, that often is seen in fish hat aren’t feeding normally, you should address the breathing issue first.
Jay

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that you couldn't mix Copper and Prime?

Or is that only relevant to products like Cupramine?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I asked about test kit(s)- I suspect water quality - Ammonia, nitrate or both. ApI is less than reliable and your levels likely higher hence the labored breathing.
I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API test kits and see what readings they come up with.
Hanna and salifert are good kits and worth the price paid

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back