• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

New RS Reefer 650 peninsula build.

OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this fantastic reef! How are you liking the bare bottom?
Im actually quiet liking the no sand look actually. I did go bare bottom in my previous tank but swore I'd go woth sane when doing this upgrade. So I never thought I'd go back to BB as I really do like the clean sand look. I problem is when the sand isn't looking so clean . But no I'm pretty happy with it and I've got used to it already. Definitely worth doing if you have a hard time keeping your nutrients low.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
So it's been a couple of weeks without sand and I think time for a little update.

This is more of a bit of advice than an update really I suppose. For anyone who's considering going from sand to bare bottom, dont try to remove every last grain of sand in 1 go, you'll drive yourself nuts . I took out what felt like all of my sand but bits appeared here and there over the last 2 weeks, as expected, I just didn't expect it to look as messy as it did .

So today I got around to syphoning it all into my filter sock (thank god for hoseclips) and scraped the bottom glass with a razor. Omg was it covered is crap. Which brings me to my most important point.

If you plan to go bb you might want to plan on filling the base with as many lowlight corals as you can buy. This will leave no room for the base to get overgrown with algae and save you a tonn of work.

Before scrapping the base, if you do. It's worth changing out your pre filter before and after your done. I went through 4 cups of wool and the tank is only 6monyhs old. Mind you I do feed 7 or 8 cubs of food each day.

I haven't quiet got around to that yet as the coral imports have taken a massive hit due to covid so very little available here for now.

But that's the plan .

As for nutrient control. I now having a hard time keeping po4 above zero ever with all the feedings, and no3 is 0.2ppm. So will have to look into dosing these in the near future.

Anyways, I'm happy iwent BB and long forward to alot less maintenance. Fingers crossed.

Apologies for the lack of a photo, I'll add one when I get home tonight along with my new free frag that I aquired for helping install a frag system

20200807_184835.jpg 20200807_184849.jpg 20200807_115509.jpg

Last edited:
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls. Just thought I'd post something as I've added a few new tank mates to the mix in the middle of setting up the nano and thought is share them woth you now they have all settled in nicely. . Enjoy.

20200821_231132.jpg 20200821_231100.jpg 20200821_231118.jpg 20200821_230423.jpg

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors