New RS Reefer 650 peninsula build.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again lol. OK it's more of an upgrade than a new start. So for those of you who already follow my 110g reef build you'll know that two weeks ago I tore down the tank to rescape it, which turned out as good as I could have hoped.

Unfortunately we now have to move to a new apartment . Not all bad though as the title says it all really, so here comes the upgrade to the new 650 shortly. Tank is ordered as well as my DIY lighting rack that I've almost figured out, will be using my current 2x maxspect razor units, 1 70w HID and possibly 2x Orphek 02 12 blue sky LEB light bars if needed.

Filtration will the standard set up for the start which may end up being modified if needed, if anyone is running the 650p and has made any improvements to the standard sump I'd love to see or hear what thoes are . This is the first time I've evert purchased a sump. It's always been DIY so far.

Right that's about it s there's nothing more to show at the mo. But here's the last look at the 110.

Will keep you posted once the tank arrives.
Keep it reef,

20200103_200037.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

new tank, new place. Sounds great. Never did a peninsula before, should be neat watching yours.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Peninsulas are nice displays, with full tank enjoyment and ability to divide a room and perform maintenance.
I have my third peninsula system and due to size still have to place it against a wall.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again lol. OK it's more of an upgrade than a new start. So for those of you who already follow my 110g reef build you'll know that two weeks ago I tore down the tank to rescape it, which turned out as good as I could have hoped.

Unfortunately we now have to move to a new apartment . Not all bad though as the title says it all really, so here comes the upgrade to the new 650 shortly. Tank is ordered as well as my DIY lighting rack that I've almost figured out, will be using my current 2x maxspect razor units, 1 70w HID and possibly 2x Orphek 02 12 blue sky LEB light bars if needed.

Filtration will the standard set up for the start which may end up being modified if needed, if anyone is running the 650p and has made any improvements to the standard sump I'd love to see or hear what thoes are . This is the first time I've evert purchased a sump. It's always been DIY so far.

Right that's about it s there's nothing more to show at the mo. But here's the last look at the 110.

Will keep you posted once the tank arrives.
Keep it reef,

20200103_200037.jpg
Hit me up when you get it wet. I’ll come over and check it out.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, ill try to update this as it happens so if there's not much to look at my apologies. Just want to share from beginning to end incase anyone has any questions about doing the same sort of move.

So the tank got delivered yesterday, nothing much has happened apart from it being put into position and levelled. This is my first redsea system and from what I've heard from our HK reefclub guys having the adjustable feet is a new addition. Which I might say is very helpful, the only thing I would add here is that there is no way to get to the feet in the centre of the cabinet, so what I'd advise is before it's in place have it titled enough to get access to every adjuster and maybe place a level or ruler across the feet just to get them all at the same hight, or you may end up with a few feet off the ground which wouldn't be the best, although I'd say it won't be the end of the world.

I'm still deciding if I want a light sprinkle of sand on the base, as you've seen my last build was bare bottom, which was nice when it came to maintenance but I seriously miss the look of the sand.

The sump is rather a nice size I have to say, I expect I'll use the fuge area as a frag grow out area, unless that doesn't work out but that's the plan for now.

Bought the extra plumbing for thr second pump today which will make the manifold, I'll get to that on Monday then post again once its installed in the cabinet along with the electrical.

Plan is to fill it with tap water on Monday for a 48hr leak test run.

The aluminium tubing I ordered to construct the lighting track hasn't arrived yet so I'll have to make a temp one up for now if it's not here by Wednesday next week.

Well that's about it for now I'll leave a few pics for you all to get a sneak peak. And updates to follow .

20200116_193000.jpg 20200116_202419.jpg 20200116_193047.jpg

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Red Sea Peninsula 650 owner! I've made a few mods over the past 14 months. Getting flow right is one of the biggest challenges. I've tried various options but resorted to two MP40's on the glass end - not ideal but the tank is a room divider between office and hallway so the open end isn't so prominent.

In addition to hard plumbing and the usual Red Sea reefer tweaks, a couple of suggestions to tackle flow, maintenance and noise...

Added a random flow generator to the return pipe (quick and easy worthwhile upgrade):
IMG_1596.jpg

Removed the filter socks and baffles to accommodate a D-D Clarisea roller filter:
IMG_1595.jpg

Added some self-adhesive neoprene sound absorption foam (from Amazon) to achieve near silent operation on my office side:

IMG_1593.jpg

I also don't use the sliding ATO, its a PITA and always in the way... Instead Neptune ATK from a storage tank in a nearby cupboard.

Also, I've removed the bubble trap sponge. After a few months (even with regular cleaning), it reduces flow and water starts to back-up and overflow the glass baffle.

I'm switching skimmer to the rear sump chamber and just ordered a AI Fuge light to add a full refugium to the pre-return chamber.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow Red Sea Peninsula 650 owner! I've made a few mods over the past 14 months. Getting flow right is one of the biggest challenges. I've tried various options but resorted to two MP40's on the glass end - not ideal but the tank is a room divider between office and hallway so the open end isn't so prominent.

In addition to hard plumbing and the usual Red Sea reefer tweaks, a couple of suggestions to tackle flow, maintenance and noise...

Added a random flow generator to the return pipe (quick and easy worthwhile upgrade):
IMG_1596.jpg

Removed the filter socks and baffles to accommodate a D-D Clarisea roller filter:
IMG_1595.jpg

Added some self-adhesive neoprene sound absorption foam (from Amazon) to achieve near silent operation on my office side:

IMG_1593.jpg

I also don't use the sliding ATO, its a PITA and always in the way... Instead Neptune ATK from a storage tank in a nearby cupboard.

Also, I've removed the bubble trap sponge. After a few months (even with regular cleaning), it reduces flow and water starts to back-up and overflow the glass baffle.

I'm switching skimmer to the rear sump chamber and just ordered a AI Fuge light to add a full refugium to the pre-return chamber.
Hey great ideas there. I'll definitely be using these thank you. I'll remove the sponge block, can definitely install some sound blocking foam. The roller I'll look into I think but pretty expensive out here, also I'd love to use my own 15g Arcrylic ATO but as this is a room devider and there's no place to hide it I think I'll have to make do with the standard one. U till it really annoys me lol. Ill have to beg the wife for more space later.

Cool thank you for the options. .

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another little update, so I've knocked together a simple manifold that will be run off my second return pump, which is a 12000lph pump. This will run the UV, Chiller and 1 reactor with 1 spare output for later. Electric conduit is in and hopefully I should take delivery of the extruded aluminium today to make the lighting rails.

The mesh cover was made up from netting and alu window frames I bought from amazon,

Let me just add, as someone who has flooded the entire 23rd floor a year ago filling this thing up tested my nerves. Not that I don't trust redsea, but that is a lot of water lol.

So. Leake test complete and it's now ready to go.

A question for all you reefer owners out there, I currently run 2 return pumps one of which is a dedicated return and the other which runs a manifold that has 1 output to the DT as a redundancy. (which paid off 2 months ago). Have any of you run a secondary pump as redundancy and if so how did you deal with the plumbing?.

Cheers all. Will keep posting when I make any additions worth mentioning.

20200120_115621.jpg 20200120_144936.jpg 20200120_155038.jpg 20200121_111010.jpg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So my aluminium finally arrived, 10 days late. But better late than never right. Now its about Chinese New year here so all shops will close for 2 weeks which means nothing much will be added to the system for a while. I have decided that I will be adding sand and I'm off to buy another bag now .

I've got my 70g of RODI made up and mixing at the moment so almost ready to do the transfer I've been avoiding for a few days already lol.

One additional thing I have done is vynal wrapped the sump in white. This will make it much easier to see detritus in the sump and help with maintenance.

As usual I'll leave you with a couple of pics. And update soon.

Enjoy the holidays HK reefers.

20200123_184658.jpg 20200123_185043.jpg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so finalised the move to the 650 on Wednesday. Pretty happy with how it went, although I really wouldn't want to do that again. Haven't lost anything in the way of live stock, but I did get to see my not doing so well birds nest that was sort of hidden in the back of the 110g. So a good move all in all.

Have yet to place the corals in their final locations but for now this is how it looks.
I was thinking I'd need to add a lot more Rock but after seeing it I think I'm going to stick with the less is more theory, at least for now. I'll let it settle for the next 4 weeks or so before adding any live stock, do the usual testing and see where the dosing needs to start from again.

Currently I have the juvenile (coral eating) emporor in the qt tank so until I'm able to rehome him definitely no chance if new new fishy frineds.

It's been a heck of a fortnight but I'm pleased with the result so far. So let me share with you some pictures of the updated reef so far. Before I do that I'll let here the equipment used to run this reef and of course any advice or questions are always welcome.

So the usual reefer 650 sump system is in use, I've vynal wrapped the bottom, back and ends for easy of maintenance and detritus visibility.

4 redsea filter cups with floss,the fuge
1x lumhi px30 LED on all blue/UV. For frag section
Skimmer is an Aqua excel AE-EC30
Jebao DCS 12000 return pump
Jebao DCS 12000 running manifold
Jebao CP40 crossflow wave maker
Heilia HS66A chiller

LIGHTING
1x 70W 8000k Solarmax HID
2x maxspect razor R424R single LED's

Other equipment not yet added is 2x Orphek O2 120 sky blue LEB light bars, additional jebao CP40 crossflow pump if needed.

Aqua excel media reactor for carbon as needed.

Forth picture is with just the maxspects on.
In the final picture you see a large buildup of condensation inside the left end of the cabinet where the skimmer is, I wonder if any other reefer users out there are having the same inside there cabinets or is this abnormal. And experience would be much appreciated.

Well that's about all now now folks.

Happy reefing.

20200201_190216.jpg 20200201_190205.jpg 20200201_190147.jpg 20200201_191028.jpg 20200201_130959.jpg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much of a update as expected as its a difficult time in hk to go shopping, I did however finally get around to placing the corals in their final homes, managed to pick up a new CUC so I'll share a few pic here for anyone interested.

One thing I have done is set up the Doser, after a week if testing and seeing a constant drop in alk of 0.4 per day I'm adding 30ml per day based on 150g of water and that seems to be increasing the alj nicely by about +0.3 per day. The aim is an alk of 8/9.

NO3 has gone from 2 to 5 in since set up so nopox has also been started at a very low rate and will be fine tuned over the next 4 to 6 weeks. Always better to start lower than you think with this stuff.

As an experiment I have started manuel doing of reef flowers potassium iodide at the rate of 3.25ml weekly also based on 150g.

Ill be sure to keep you all posted on any changes I see good or bad.

Surprisingly the gorgonia is still with me to so I'm happy about that.

That's about it for now then. Enjoy.

20200209_224203.jpg 20200207_205949.jpg 20200207_203639.jpg 20200207_203049.jpg 20200207_203016.jpg 20200207_202850.jpg 20200207_202821.jpg 20200207_155922.jpg 20200207_194447.jpg Screenshot_20200210-103700_Photos.jpg 20200207_202850.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I’ll try to come by tomorrow to check it out. I need to go to MK to pick up some fish.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was helping club member to purchase some RODI fitments in my part of the woods yesterday. We agreed to meet up at fish Street, I'll have to leave my wallet at home next time .

So I bought 4 pieces of SPS and 5 fish, 1 yellow tail tamarin wrasse and 4 shot silk gobies. At $4 USD a piece I couldn't say no. I really have to stop going there every other day lol.

Anyway here a few pics of what I picked up.

20200212_124440.jpg 20200211_183253.jpg 20200211_181609.jpg 20200210_193430.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice bro! You available Friday? I gotta work so I’ll be there at 4:45. My normal time. Need to pick up some fish.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and some of those cheap SPS colonies if still available. Were all of them milles? Hoping for something different.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd post this new addition update as it may help someone considering buying the same back up battery.

So I picked up my coral box V2 back up battery last week. The single page instructions that came with it were a little confusing and there isn't much in the way of clear information or reviews online or even on their website.

I charged the unit for 24hrs prior to testing and it didn't seem to work. It definitely had power as it would power a jebao wave maker when connected as per instructions. It turns out it needed a 24hr charge to hit the mark.

Just to clarify these, the top port is mains power in. The second port is also an input from the pumps power brick, (meaning 2 plugs to run this as intended) and the bottom port is the output directly to the pump controller.

The unit seems to be well built with heavy duty plastic and came wrapped well. The 2 Y cables are only able 14" long and I would have like to see at least 1 of them a meter long. But their easy enough to find locally.

Ill be using this connected to the jebao cp40 crossflow wavemaker just incase.
Will keep you posted on this is anyone is interested. If all works as planned it's a very well priced piece of mind.

20200212_232736.jpg 20200212_232715.jpg 20200212_232712.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back