New sad coral.

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m Dan I’m a new reefer from the U.K. I recently bought my first what I think is a hammer coral ( some of the tips look more like frogspawn ). It looks extremely young and unhappy does anyone have any tips on how I can help it or even I.D it.
Thanks.
32C2D925-1D3B-4D75-B186-2E935FC44A7D.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? what are the water parameters? What type of lighting? Flow? Need to know all the information to offer suggestion.

But judging from that shiny white rock, my first guess would be that the tank is too new and water parameters are unstable.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? what are the water parameters? What type of lighting? Flow? Need to know all the information to offer suggestion.

But judging from that shiny white rock, my first guess would be that the tank is too new and water parameters are unstable.
Hello. The tank is 2 months only. It’s had the lights on for the past week. It’s a Fluval evo 52l tank with a stock light. I’ve got a eheim 1000 return pump with two random flow generators for flow in the tank. The coral is sat out of direct Flow however there’s enough to let it move around. I started the tank with ATM colony and 2 clowns. After the first week the tank seemed stable. Amonia and nitrite are 0 nitrate is 5 and PH is 8.0 on my API kit. I test twice weekly and water change 10% weekly. The highest my nitrate got was 10 but it’s been 5 for a couple of weeks. Calcium on my salifert kit is 420ppm.

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect thanks. I think I’m just expecting everything to look perfect right away and panicking when it’s not

OP
OP
D

Danjoc92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello today is its first full day in the tank. I was just worried as it looked better in the lfs. Some of my zoas are still to open though so I guess all things considered it’s doing ok.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I’m Dan I’m a new reefer from the U.K. I recently bought my first what I think is a hammer coral ( some of the tips look more like frogspawn ). It looks extremely young and unhappy does anyone have any tips on how I can help it or even I.D it.
Thanks.
32C2D925-1D3B-4D75-B186-2E935FC44A7D.jpeg
Looks like fimbriaphyllia sp. Probably a hammer (F. ancora/paraancora) with a few bifurcated tentacles.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tentacles look healthy, not much flesh on the skeleton but good care can fix that. The lighting at the store was probably much better than the stock on a fluval, so it will look nicer at the shop than your tank, even if it’s healthy.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to the hobby (almost 1-1/2 yrs now) and what I have come to learn is that corals will not be rushed when it comes to acclimating to a new tank. Some are fine within a day and others can take weeks. Having said that there are things to watch out for... Loss of colour, tissue recession/loss, the coral actually starts to shrink. One of my early corals actually shrank away to nothing. No melting, no tissue loss it just shrank to nothing. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. This one looks good so far but your tank is really new so keep an eye on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back