New Saltwater Turned Green

Fumbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some saltwater that I mixed up about 2 weeks ago in a brute can for water changes. I pulled what was left of it yesterday and noticed it had a green tint. Water was left covered with a pump running. Is this safe to use? I attached a picture next to fresh made saltwater for reference.

RODI water with 0 tds
Instant ocean salt

29C08CD1-505F-4590-8033-C091EA268755.jpeg

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would toss it. I've left IO mixing as well as not mixing in containers for quite a while and have never had issues. Except one time, I left it for about a week and when I went to use it, it was tick yellow... No idea why it happened. I tossed it and mixed some fresh.

/Could also just be the bucket. I have some that are discolored from using muriatic acid on rocks.

OP
OP
Fumbles

Fumbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would toss it. I've left IO mixing as well as not mixing in containers for quite a while and have never had issues. Except one time, I left it for about a week and when I went to use it, it was **** yellow... No idea why it happened. I tossed it and mixed some fresh.

/Could also just be the bucket. I have some that are discolored from using muriatic acid on rocks.
I can also add that the inside of the can was a little slimy and it wiped away yellow on paper towel. Maybe someone can explain why. I tested for nitrates and it read 0. I didn’t try ammonia or phosphate.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would toss it. I've left IO mixing as well as not mixing in containers for quite a while and have never had issues. Except one time, I left it for about a week and when I went to use it, it was **** yellow... No idea why it happened. I tossed it and mixed some fresh.

+1

When in doubt toss it out

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably the bucket
I have the same issue with Red Sea blue bucket
I mix with 2 5g bucket same salt/RODI but one bucket has exact same color as above pictures

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is saying dump it out but nobody is stating what could potentially be wrong with it. I've had salt mix like this before, with reef crystals, and was told it was because there's a lot of organics in the salt mix.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO salt for some reason has turned on me like this in just a few days. I now mix it the day of and usually use it within 4 hours.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why i use esv bionic. Mixes clean and stays clean...

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this happen to tropic marin pro.
Did a few extra buckets besides bin for tsnk transfer and this Only happened in one of the buckets.. which was close to fully sealed and got up to around 80.
I think it isca combo & has to do with a trace amount of something in the bucket And lack of air and possibly on the warmer side closer to 80. Was mixed for 2 days already and fine.. only overnight when i added a tiny heater that only got it that warm because of the lid being on.
Any bio-chemists in the house?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back