New seneye reading 6.4ph

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I took delivery of a seneye reef today and since adding the slide, my ph is reading 6.4

Do these slides take time to take accurate readings?

I've checked the slide and its sitting correctly. I even fitted it underwater to elevated the risk of bubbles.. do I just wait?

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it? I found no instructions in my box. Nothing saying it on the box either.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I see a small icon now on the slide packaging. I missed this.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pls update us on the nh3 reading we track seneye ammonia reads in another thread

100% of all post cycle reefs should run between .002-009 thousandths ppm

if it reads in the hundredths or tenths its wrong and needs to be trimmed or pre soaked slides, as I read the posts (a prep issue)

and if it reads .001 constantly that too is off, true reef nh3 is active and dynamic and constantly changing within the thousandths level, at least other tuned seneyes show.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine kept reading .499 NH3 and I had to trim my PH with +.75 to get it to match my Hanna. I don't use mine for anything but a PAR meter now. The dang thing couldn't even get the temp right kept saying my tank was 72. Junk in my opinion.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pls update us on the nh3 reading we track seneye ammonia reads in another thread

100% of all post cycle reefs should run between .002-009 thousandths ppm

if it reads in the hundredths or tenths its wrong and needs to be trimmed or pre soaked slides, as I read the posts (a prep issue)

and if it reads .001 constantly that too is off, true reef nh3 is active and dynamic and constantly changing within the thousandths level, at least other tuned seneyes show.
Currently reading 0.001 but I will see what it reads in 48 hours time

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine kept reading .499 NH3 and I had to trim my PH with +.75 to get it to match my Hanna. I don't use mine for anything but a PAR meter now. The dang thing couldn't even get the temp right kept saying my tank was 72. Junk in my opinion.
Same here. And the fact they sell it as a par meter but you have to pay extra to get that turned on. Might as well buy a par meter and call it a day.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. And the fact they sell it as a par meter but you have to pay extra to get that turned on. Might as well buy a par meter and call it a day.
Still cheaper than an Apogee. I was just hoping to get more than a one time use out of a PAR meter. Not the end of the world it helped me determine my lights were too intense and needed to be turned down.

fowler279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cheaper than an Apogee. I was just hoping to get more than a one time use out of a PAR meter. Not the end of the world it helped me determine my lights were too intense and needed to be turned down.
I agree but I'm starting to doubt the results. I just got mine for Christmas and did a PAR reading the other day. The PAR increased as I went further down instead of Decreasing. At the top I was getting around 250 PAR at the bottom I was getting 270-280 PAR. Not sure how that's possible. I'm new to all of this but still doesn't make any sense.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but I'm starting to doubt the results. I just got mine for Christmas and did a PAR reading the other day. The PAR increased as I went further down instead of Decreasing. At the top I was getting around 250 PAR at the bottom I was getting 270-280 PAR. Not sure how that's possible. I'm new to all of this but still doesn't make any sense.
That makes no sense at all. Did you have all of the flow in the tank turned off? or were you testing with all of the flow on?

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call that bad business. Sell a product marketed to give you something to then turn around and charge more money for what it was advertised to come with. It never mentions the extra it costs to get it unlocked to read par.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean. I bought a Seneye Reef for $180 on Black Friday and it read PAR right out of the box.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did not. Ordered it from saltwateraquarium thinking the same thing. Plugged it up and it had the par blanked out. It redirected me to some page to get an unlock for par.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the settings make sure the check box is checked for the device being in a marine tank. I think that may affect the pH reading.

I calibrated (trimmed) my Seneye Temperature and pH to match my controller. Once trimmed the pH has been tracking with my controller through a couple of slide changes.

The Nh3 trim is a longer story covered in this thread, referenced above by @brandon429.

1611107478806.png

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it worked. Would have been so much cheaper then buying a par meter for basically a one time use. Found podyourreef that rented it for 3 days.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did not. Ordered it from saltwateraquarium thinking the same thing. Plugged it up and it had the par blanked out. It redirected me to some page to get an unlock for par.
It was the Seneye Reef? If so I think there has been a post or two about the PAR meter not working out of the box in a couple of instances. Some type of error on the Seneye side.

Did you contact them or the shop first before paying to have the feature added? It would need to be added if it was the Seneye Home.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seneye is measuring temperature a whole 1 degree lower than my Hannah salinity meter! Which to trust!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back