New silicone and plumbing an existing tank

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be redoing my 40 breeder plumbing and additionally adding some acrylic lids with silicone onto the top of my sump.

I plan to drain the tank below the overflow, redo plumbing and let the clear pipe cement dry for 12 hours. I was planning to drain water out of the sump chamber getting the new lid as well.

Will this be safe for my fish? I plan to run heater and powerheads in the display while the sump is offline.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As long as they have water movement and heat they will be fine.
I've had to do the same for different reasons in the past.

FWIW, I've changed up plumbing and use pvc glue and then restarted the flow within a half hour.
But do what you feel is safe. The fish will be fine.

While the silicone on the lid in the sump will hold for a while, it's not water tight or permanent.

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they have water movement and heat they will be fine.
I've had to do the same for different reasons in the past.

FWIW, I've changed up plumbing and use pvc glue and then restarted the flow within a half hour.
But do what you feel is safe. The fish will be fine.

While the silicone on the lid in the sump will hold for a while, it's not water tight or permanent.
Thanks for the reassurance. I might end up just waiting a few hours for the plumbing. I'll only be adding a few beads of silicone to the sump lid. I made a little uv fluorescent filter socks holder combined with a bulkhead for the pipe

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the curing of silicone in enclosed spaces, and depending what type you’re using. Most of the silicones outgas acetic acid over about 24h, but others may use a different agent. Just keep the ventilation up around any areas if there is livestock involved.

OP
OP
D

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the curing of silicone in enclosed spaces, and depending what type you’re using. Most of the silicones outgas acetic acid over about 24h, but others may use a different agent. Just keep the ventilation up around any areas if there is livestock involved.
10-4. I'll plan to drain that specific area of the sump and keep a fan on it

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back