New silicone for old tank

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

Ok so the tank isn't super old (4ish years I think) but has been out of commission for 2 or 3 years. It is a JBJ nano AIO that is 9 gallons I believe. So this tiny boi just got a good wash out and scraping and, while hosing it out, I noticed a good chunk of water making its way between the back divider where the pumps, bio basket, and so on goes to the main part of the tank and I noticed that lots of the silicone had lost it's hold on that divider. I have cleaned it all with white vinegar that was watered down, dried it, razor bladed all of the silicone off. I have gone over it multiple times with a blade to make sure all bits of silicone have been removed and the back portion is completely detached now and cleaned off as well. My question is: what other prep should I go through before adding new silicone now and sealing the in tank sump portion back to the tank? Thanks for the help!

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use acetone to clean everywhere you plan on running a bead of silicone then go to town. You could also scuff the same area on the plastic/acrylic or whatever it is to help the silicone adhere. Momentive RTV or SCS1200 (I think that's what it's called) is better and sticking to plastic than your run of the mill aquarium silicone.

OP
OP
B

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use acetone to clean everywhere you plan on running a bead of silicone then go to town. You could also scuff the same area on the plastic/acrylic or whatever it is to help the silicone adhere. Momentive RTV or SCS1200 (I think that's what it's called) is better and sticking to plastic than your run of the mill aquarium silicone.
Awesome thank you!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back