New Skimmer raised PH

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after years of struggling with my PH, the addition of a new protein skimmer appears to have solved that. For the past three years I ran a SWC 160, while my PH ran in the 7.8 -8.0 range. And while that range was fine it often dipped down to 7.6-7.7 during the winter months with the house closed up. I run Kalk and tried all the other tricks without much improvement.

So about three weeks ago I started running an Omega Vertex 150 and since then my PH now runs 8.2-8.4

Just an added bonus to the skimmer upgrade.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. You've had a CO2 issue that appears to have been resolved by using a skimmer which draws more air. The SWC is rated at "up to" 650 lph while the Omega is rated at 900 lph. I can only guess that the increased air usage assists in pulling CO2 out of the water.

OP
OP
C

cjrudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. You've had a CO2 issue that appears to have been resolved by using a skimmer which draws more air. The SWC is rated at "up to" 650 lph while the Omega is rated at 900 lph. I can only guess that the increased air usage assists in pulling CO2 out of the water.

That was my thought exactly

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back