New Skimmer

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into getting a new skimmer, and would like to hear some opinions. Currently I have a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5, on a roughly 52 gallon system. I can't decide if it's a piece of junk, or operator error, but either way, time to upgrade.

I would say my tank is lightly stocked, but I'm planning on getting one that will handle a (slightly) heavier bioload. Current fish are tailspot blenny, tricolor fairy wrasse, and a pair of midnight ocellaris clowns. Not a lot of coral yet. I feed 1 cube of PE frozen mysis 3 times/wk, a small amount of new life pellets on days between, target feed with reef roids 1 time/wk. If I'm wrong on my interpretation of "light" bioload, then by all means, let me have it (I can't go walking around with my head in the clouds forever!).

My problem choosing a new skimmer is the size. Everything is either rated way higher, or not enough. So far, the best fit I have found would be the Skimz Monster Mini SN123 http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn123-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html

Any suggestions, input, comments, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Within reason, size and price aren't limiting factors, so bring up any and all appropriate models out there. There's just so many options now, it's ridiculous.

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros - I was using Skimz SN163, its really a beast it broke in within a day and started to get thick black smelly liquid in the collection cup, for every two days I have to clean the cup. I tuned it so that the bubbles stay in the middle to the body and neck. So far after three months having very good result.
Cons - Reattaching the cup after cleaning is a pain, it having and rubber O ring and cup is in the model of twist lock. Every time when i attach it after cleaning I am doing it with a caution that I should not damage the O ring. When we make so smooth it starts leaking from the sides of the cup. so obiviously you have to give some pressure while twist lock the cup.

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many choices out there as well as budget. The key point is for the skimmer to run consistently with an appropriate neck size vs. a neck that is too large for your system. Large necks skim once in awhile when the lights go out. Sump size is a concern as well. Other weird points are if you get a neck cleaner it effectively cuts the neck size in half or two smaller necks.
So for your application a 6 inch neck or smaller should suffice. Your only limiting factor is a reliable pump vs. less reliable depending on warranty, brand, etc. Keep in mind if you decide to upgrade... and you will :) you have a bigger skimmer. Nothing is going to die with a larger skimmer.
I personally like Aqua C Urchin's or Remora's for ease of use and maintenance. Don't underestimate them, they are near silent now with upgraded silencer pads inside, and no air intake but injection, tried and true. I use one in my waiting room on my 40g breeder.
The Reef Octopus Classic 152 is nice too with a smooth wine bottle design. I have this on another 60g cube.
If truly money doesn't matter a Nyos 160 will set you back 5 bills but has bragging rights.

Can't go wrong with most skimmers today, a little oversized 2-2.5x is ok.

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is huge. At this point I'd settle for consistently poor performance from the Bubble Magus. Without adjusting the outlet, I'll get zero skimate for a day or so, then I'll wake up one morning to it overflowing with nearly clear skimate. I almost have to clean my stand as often as the collection cup.

@Ponraj A, thanks for the personal account on the Skimz, that's disappointing that it tends to leak out the sides. I really had my sights set on that one.

@SuperDragon, does the Remora or Urchin have to be used HOB, or can they be in the sump? Also, any thoughts on their EV series? I've looked at the Nyos ones as well, I'm not convinced they're worth the doubled price tag, but they are definitely sweet!

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is huge. At this point I'd settle for consistently poor performance from the Bubble Magus. Without adjusting the outlet, I'll get zero skimate for a day or so, then I'll wake up one morning to it overflowing with nearly clear skimate. I almost have to clean my stand as often as the collection cup.

@SuperDragon, does the Remora or Urchin have to be used HOB, or can they be in the sump? Also, any thoughts on their EV series? I've looked at the Nyos ones as well, I'm not convinced they're worth the doubled price tag, but they are definitely sweet!

The Remora Urchin is in sump. There is a achilles heel with every product and the achilles heel of the AquaC skimmers is because of the injection skimming, they require strong pumps, more electricity and noise. This seems not to be an issue with the newer Remora's or Urchins because they are smaller, smaller pumps, and have foam silencers. EV's require some plumbing, power, and space requirements.
I like Reef Octopus and Tunze 9004 too.

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Reef Octopus ones as well, more so now that I hear the Skimz may leak. I haven't heard much for or against the Tunze skimmer, but I love their other products. Definitely worth looking into.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I quite literally just went through this. I ended up with the NYOS 160.it arrives end of week.

You can buy a Vertex 180i open box at premiumaquatics for $399! Can't beat that..

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/vertex-omega-180-protein-skimmer-open-box-return.html
I just measured my skimmer compartment and its 8.25" x 11.5"....boo. Chalk this up as letdown #2 in my new skimmer world.

Out of curiosity, not that either will fit, what is the difference between these two? The Vertex is slightly larger, but at a glance they appear very similar.

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, now that I'm actually taking the time to research more in depth, the Skimz lines with DC pumps seem to have horrible reviews!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I see as the obvious difference between the previously mentioned Vertex and Somatic (by Vertex) is the air intake is considerably better on the Vertex, but they're fairly comparable otherwise. The Vertex brand outperforming Somatic all around, but not blowing it out if the water.

coralosity351

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimz mini monster 143 and it rocks i did put a small amount of petroleum jelly on the collection cup o ring and now it comes on and off with ease. And yes within about two days it was pulling out sone downright nasty gunk best skimmer ive ever owned

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimz mini monster 143 and it rocks i did put a small amount of petroleum jelly on the collection cup o ring and now it comes on and off with ease. And yes within about two days it was pulling out sone downright nasty gunk best skimmer ive ever owned
That's good news! I was always under the impression that Skimz was among the top manufacturers, and I expected to hear from a lot of proponents for them.

I have read a lot of bad reviews about the DC pump they use, which honestly upset me because Skimz has been in the back of my mind for 6 months or so. How long have you had yours? Have you read the same type of reviews?

coralosity351

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it about 3 months. And i read a couple of issues mainly the collection cup and gate adjustment but i havent had either issue at all except the cup being kinda hard to put on and off originally. Thats why i put the jelly on the o ring havent had the issue since. Never heard of any pump issues

coralosity351

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b37cfe8dabb72f9957bea3dca25bc90d.jpg
puts out a very thick foam consistently and it gets turned off nightly for feedings/dosing

OP
OP
Bradley Crocker

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive! My skimate is slightly darker than the water in my sump, or as clear and thin as the air we breathe.

The pump reviews I've read are mostly on BRS, and seem to only be on the models with the DC pump. And any bad reviews about the gate adjustment are definitely not from previous bubble magus owners! I have a piece of 1/2" pvc I need to turn ever so slightly to adjust it. It rarely gets touched anymore. I honestly think if it as a really large airstone anymore.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back