New snowflake clown with mouth open

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenhorn, you have offered nothing constructive to this discussion. What is your prupose here other than to start arguements? OP has lost one fish already, we're just trying to give him solid advice on saving the other one. If he didn't want to save it her wouldn't have asked for advise and just ignored symptoms until they were both dead.
How many times have you dealt with velvet? I'm 2 for 3 on saving fish that come in with velvet, all purchased from LiveAquaria. Once you've done that, and actually seen velvet... it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I pm'd him my number instead of giving half baked advice in piecemeal and my comments aren't for arguments sake, it's so you step back and consider how fast this whole process escalated. Your insistent advice may just get another fish, who is healthy, hurt. If a fish is eating and acting normal then let's take a breather. Remember that he is new to the hobby and in a panic. He isn't even that acquainted with the normal behavior of fish and your telling him it's a disease. As far as my experience, I've seen velvet, I don't buy fish with it, and I qt everything so in the remote case that I have had a fish with velvet it had been through the med cycle and is happy and healthy. So Robin, my comments have been towards OP and Barrett, what's your purpose of calling me out?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being experienced you know that if one fish has already died from velvet, the other one is only a matter of days away, especially since it has already shown the symptoms. He's said it's flashing, and swimming into flow. My fish have been eating the whole time they were infected and showing visible velvet fuzz on their skin... just because a fish eating does not mean it's going to live. Velvet kills, fast... already lost one fish in a day. We're giving him the info he needs to save the other one and any other fish he gets in the future, and you tell him to just wait while his one remaining fish dies.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being experienced you know that if one fish has already died from velvet, the other one is only a matter of days away, especially since it has already shown the symptoms. He's said it's flashing, and swimming into flow. My fish have been eating the whole time they were infected and showing visible velvet fuzz on their skin... just because a fish eating does not mean it's going to live. Velvet kills, fast... already lost one fish in a day. We're giving him the info he needs to save the other one and any other fish he gets in the future, and you tell him to just wait while his one remaining fish dies.

First off, you are speculating on velvet. Second, several fish illnesses share symptoms with velvet. Lastly, stressors accelerate any fish illness. Stressors include but are not limited to, being chased by a net, new tank acclimation, un-cycled tanks, and so on and so forth. So everything my gut is saying about a fish that I can't see, is only showing minor symptoms of who knows what disease, only having an option for a small I cycled qt, not having the media on hand that I am familiar with and the translation of fish behavior from someone who's had fish for a week, is to relax. Never said not to treat, never said it's fine, just saying to slow down. Don't be so upset that your course of action is being challenged. In fact, he listed to your advice last, and we saw how that turned out. Maybe a new perspective is just what this thread needs. I've made my points, you can argue your anecdotal experiences all you want, I'm done.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First off, you are speculating on velvet. Second, several fish illnesses share symptoms with velvet. Lastly, stressors accelerate any fish illness. Stressors include but are not limited to, being chased by a net, new tank acclimation, un-cycled tanks, and so on and so forth. So everything my gut is saying about a fish that I can't see, is only showing minor symptoms of who knows what disease, only having an option for a small I cycled qt, not having the media on hand that I am familiar with and the translation of fish behavior from someone who's had fish for a week, is to relax. Never said not to treat, never said it's fine, just saying to slow down. Don't be so upset that your course of action is being challenged. In fact, he listed to your advice last, and we saw how that turned out. Maybe a new perspective is just what this thread needs. I've made my points, you can argue your anecdotal experiences all you want, I'm done.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just reading back through this thread and it got really testy in here. Might help to check some of the ego at the door when trying to help someone with a problem. No need to get into a full blown ticking contest on his thread. If you took it that personal then use the PM box... come on guys.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just reading back through this thread and it got really testy in here. Might help to check some of the ego at the door when trying to help someone with a problem. No need to get into a full blown ******* contest on his thread. If you took it that personal then use the PM box... come on guys.
Sorry if you are talking about my posts I never intended for them to be personal.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you are talking about my posts I never intended for them to be personal.
Not calling anyone out my man. I was just saying that we should stay on topic as a group is all. Everyone has an opinion and that is what makes the internet go. Just in here we need to try and keep it at a positive level I believe. I mean this is a new guy here not only to the forum but to the reefing hobby in general. He is asking for help and next thing you know it's a spat on his thread. Not exactly gonna make the best impression was my point. I just think there is a lot of knowledge and good people here and I hate to leave a bad impression on someone that's just coming in the door. (So to speak)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to follow this thread due to travel commitments. But let's all please try to chill and just focus on helping the OP. I understand emotions run high when a fish's life is at stake, but at the end of the day all you can do is offer advice, and it's up to the OP whose advice to take.

dream.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought small ones and they died then I bought a little larger and they survived

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no stress here anymore guys the patience is kicking in..I have indeed been stressing out but as Barrett said I think im in a manageable spot right now. I appreciate everyones feedback and everyone reaching out, greenhorn and barrett and robin especially you guys have been with me the whole time. I happen to be more of a texter than caller greenhorn which is why when barrett offered I took it up. No stress though I am glad to know you are all a call or text away. Todays lesson was: everyone has opinions and I have to find the common denominator and apply it using my best judgement which I thonk we accomplished, with all of your help.

Started this morning with her swimming into the flow and flashing clearly, and yes eating. Put her into the qt (which i seeded with an entire bottle of quickstart on the biofoam in the filter and inside the ornament). I grabbed a true perc small clown to quarantine with her and get her someone else to pair up with so I dont end up having to do copper treatment again later. She is in an isolation insert inside the qt tank with the new little guy and is swimming calmly and happily, they both ate brine shrimp and seem fine. Copper and copper test will be here tuesday from amazon and ill do the 30 day treatment and do praz after the copper, just cause I dont like taking 2 pills at once either. Then 76 days later, they go back in my DT. My qt is exactly 10 feet from my DT, hope i dont run into problems. Thanks again guys ill keep the progress in the thread. Heres a couple pics.

Edit: bathed her in rally for 90 mins and that is what has her looking much better, barrett i appreciate you walking me through

Ps..my pom pom crab is still in the DT and pregnant. Cool.

Screenshot_20170820-233141.png

15032916293682052171560.jpg

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up taking a whole different approach here, the original surviving snowflake clown is still alive and well, I lost that small osc clown though. Have since gotten a frostbite clown and have relocated them to the DT again. Have been dosing the DT with reef rally, tonight will be the 4th night and it seems to be working. They are back in the DT because i have had a heck of a time cycling this qt, which is still not cycled (2 bottles of dr tims one and only in). Have also added 9 turban snails, 2 xenia frags, and some zoas. Got a new led light and it is awesome. Planning on copper treatment and 76 days fallow once the qt is cycled, but as of now the rally seems to be working wonders, with no ill effects on water parameters, or even clarity.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up taking a whole different approach here, the original surviving snowflake clown is still alive and well, I lost that small osc clown though. Have since gotten a frostbite clown and have relocated them to the DT again. Have been dosing the DT with reef rally, tonight will be the 4th night and it seems to be working. They are back in the DT because i have had a heck of a time cycling this qt, which is still not cycled (2 bottles of dr tims one and only in). Have also added 9 turban snails, 2 xenia frags, and some zoas. Got a new led light and it is awesome. Planning on copper treatment and 76 days fallow once the qt is cycled, but as of now the rally seems to be working wonders, with no ill effects on water parameters, or even clarity.

Try a bigger qt. 5 gallons is pretty small for two fish. 10 might be better. I'd use an aqueon hobf with a piece of filter media for colonization too. Or add some plastic filter balls or maybe even ceramic. Just watch out for the ceramic absorbing the copper.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back