New sponges?

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240205-150250.png

Getting ready to break down the tank for the big move. I noticed these on the water return. (View from below.)
Screenshot_20240205-150226.png
(View from above- top of the water)
Screenshot_20240205-150126.png
In the blue light the ones on the left are gold. The middle, bubbly ones are brown. Any ideas? Are they something to keep or let dry up in the move like the hairy bastid on the right?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely Colpomenia macroalgae - there are a few that look similar, but they don't seem to be common in tropical waters.

I've only seen these a few times, but they don't seem terribly invasive. They seem to just form clumps, so removal if wanted seems easy enough. Personally, I'd keep it to grow out, and maybe give a few clumps away if someone wants them.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Maybe the top of the tank in winter in Maine is noon-tropical enough. Maybe I'll keep one when I have to break the tank down when we move in a few weeks. They're pretty, but that aiptasia is meeting a snowbank!!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Maybe the top of the tank in winter in Maine is noon-tropical enough. Maybe I'll keep one when I have to break the tank down when we move in a few weeks. They're pretty, but that aiptasia is meeting a snowbank!!!
Yeah, if you don't want to keep any, then I'd really suggest offering them to local reefers or on the forum here - it's not a common macro, and some people might really like to get their hands on some.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back