OP
D

danmarion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point there isn't too much to show off while I wait for the clear coat to cure. I bought the lumber today and will be staining it tomorrow. Hoping to install the wood on Friday at the latest. I will post a photo tomorrow showing the stained boards so we have an idea of the color.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your constructive criticism. I appreciate that you decided to give me feedback and good solid advice instead of simple negativity as others might do. The useful tips and engineering secrets you have given me will prove invaluable with my next project........

Guess there really is one on every forum...

You don't use any engineering. You didn't engineer the stand either. It will work, but it gives a bad name to my profession when you say it was engineered. What is the design load and what safety factor was used? My point is the misuse of the term engineering, not about your stand.
You are welcome.

OP
OP
D

danmarion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top coat it fully cured. I stained the lumber today. It looks quite a bit more red than it does in this photo, the lighting in that building is a little weak. The plan is to install the lumber tomorrow after work. I am on the home stretch now!

20150507_163041.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm impressed. This has got to be one of the nicest JBJ DIY stands that I've seen. It definitely beats my wood DIY stand! And without doubt, it certainly beats that under-engineered (or is it over-engineered) stand offered by JBJ. Anyone who owns a JBJ knows how wobbly that stock stand is.....very poor design. Shoot the engineer who designed that POC.

I also don't recognize the wood....maybe the stain is confusing me, but it looks teak - like. What wood is that and what stain did you use?

Can't wait to see this thing come together. Keep the pictures coming.

Very nice!!!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
en·gi·neer

ˌenjəˈnir/

verb

past tense:*engineered; past participle:*engineered

design and build (a machine or structure).

It looks like you engineered it to me. Let's see her go build a bridge from behind her desk.....

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly believed in S.I. Hayakawa's precept of just as long as the words are understood, regardless of the actual meaning, then all is well, no definition need. S.I. Hayakawa was a liguistic professor (and politician) from California that was ahead of his times. The example of his beliefs that immediately comes to mind are the malapropisms of Slip Mahoney (actor name) from the Bowery Boys (1950's movies), "It looks like we are getting some participation today, so you better bring an umbrella." Accordingly, there is no need to define "Engineering," it is understood!!!

And that's some excellent engineering in the design of this stand....one of the best!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan...be it over or under engineered, be it over or under designed, and no matter how you define either of those words, the stand is going to be awesome and I can't wait to see pictures of the end product.

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I have been wanting to find a way to use poplar in some kind of build. I love the large green bands you can find in poplar, but oak or pine always seems to be my final choice. I have a 45g frag tank that needs a stand and I just may imitate you design. The rustic, industrial design is really cool! Cant wait to see it together!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the stand was actually going to be skinned, covering the steel frame. Not expecting seeing the steel along with the wood, but I'm liking the look. Has a pretty cool industrial look. My only concern would be the amount of expansion/contraction of the wood and how the steel frame will accomendate that movement. I'm also concerned with all those bolts and the wood movement. As a woodworker I think I would have either attached all boards together and then used slots in the steel to have the minimum number of screws to hold the wood (slots allow wood movement) OR have the planking fitted into trestle ends allowing wood movement.

Keep the pictures coming.....again, looks fantastic!

OP
OP
D

danmarion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the stand was actually going to be skinned, covering the steel frame. Not expecting seeing the steel along with the wood, but I'm liking the look. Has a pretty cool industrial look. My only concern would be the amount of expansion/contraction of the wood and how the steel frame will accomendate that movement. I'm also concerned with all those bolts and the wood movement. As a woodworker I think I would have either attached all boards together and then used slots in the steel to have the minimum number of screws to hold the wood (slots allow wood movement) OR have the planking fitted into trestle ends allowing wood movement.

Keep the pictures coming.....again, looks fantastic!

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully that doesn't become an issue. Thankfully, I designed the stand so that the wood is easily replaced. Like I said, I really am not a woodworker. I left 1/8 inch of gap around the planks on all sides, hoping to allow for the wood to expand. Will that make a difference?

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back