New Start with "Old" Live Rock

mommy2redheads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have recently re-started our SW tank and are using the live rock that we used before. The rock has never been completely out of the water (except at some of the higher parts). But, it has been living without the pump on for awhile. My question is are the inhabitants still likely alive in there and if there is a chance of this, how is a good way to tell. Also, is it a good idea to purchase a smaller piece or two (of live rock) and add to the tank now? Thanks for your help!!! :squigglemouth:

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would start the tank like a brand new tank cycle, and if there was not much die off the test parameters should show it by having 0 phos, low Nitrate and 0 Ammonia. If a lot has died the worst that will happen is you will have a month or so until everything is ready.

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree about starting as a new tank.
It would be helpful to know how the rock is being stored and for how long.
Was the water heated and a circulation pump running on it just to keep the water moving?
Have you done any testes on the water? The basic 4, Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH.
Its very possible the rock is still live. Although if it has been in cold water and no circulation, probably not.

papagimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can expect the rock to be dead after this time. No pumps means no water circulation, bacteria will starve out. No biggie though, do as others have suggested and plan to 'cure' the live rock. My current tank was started similarly, only the rock had been allowed to dry out, but enough 'gunk' was still caked on it that it started a massive cycle quickly. I went ahead and cured the rock in tank for a month until nitrates and phosphates were low enough to be considered managable. After the cycle was completed, I went ahead and seeded with about a cup of sand from a fellow reefers tank, and then purchased a pound of hand picked rubble from a LFS (handpicked the ones with little bits of coral still alive on em :p ) and everythings moving along smoothly.

fwiw, I did give another reefer about 40lbs of the same rock, but advised him to give it a really good scrubbing with a hard brush and rinse well before using. Will still have some leeching but not as bad as what mine did. Their are other methods to really cleaning the rock well floating around though.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back