New sulfur denitrator working great!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost for got to ask, what do you think of using Elemental sulfur prills, high purity for the sulfur media. It looks Identical to the media that is sold by the reef supply stores.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience buy I know people have used it before. It's much smaller in size than sulfur media.
Flow of better through media than really small prills. Although the surface area is more in prill than larger sulfur media.
Do able.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
highly recommend to use a second chamber after sulfur and add coral media to gain pH and some alkalinity back. if not second chamber then 75% sulfur then 25% coral media.
Yes I like the secondary chamber.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a jump in phosphates when using the sulfur denitrator? My Nitrates have been consistently over 80 PPM per a API test kit for months now but my phosphates have been consistently low from .02 to .05 using a hanna ULR Phosphorus checker. Today my phosphates have jumped up to .13 on the hanna checker. I have never seen them that high in the tank. Nothing else has really been added to the tank except for two diamond gobies which where only added in the last 24 hours. I have seen signs of the phosphates creeping up for a couple of weeks now. I am getting a green algae that seems to be growing on the sand bed. Has anyone else seen a jump in phosphates from their reactor?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a jump in phosphates when using the sulfur denitrator? My Nitrates have been consistently over 80 PPM per a API test kit for months now but my phosphates have been consistently low from .02 to .05 using a hanna ULR Phosphorus checker. Today my phosphates have jumped up to .13 on the hanna checker. I have never seen them that high in the tank. Nothing else has really been added to the tank except for two diamond gobies which where only added in the last 24 hours. I have seen signs of the phosphates creeping up for a couple of weeks now. I am getting a green algae that seems to be growing on the sand bed. Has anyone else seen a jump in phosphates from their reactor?

Bump.
Anyone know when it's time to change out the sulfur media?

Bump.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed any change in phos with use of sulfur reactor. Usually low pH and alkalinity are the side effects.

Sulfur media doesnt get changed out. Gets consumed and when almost gone, needs to be re filled.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Blue Carbon Reefing
What are your nitrate levels at right now?
One thing you do have to wprry about is if nitrates are absolutely 0 then it's harder to bring phos down and can have negative effect and phos may increase.
So always keep nitrates around 1-10 ppm range.

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up two aquamaxx denitrators on two separate systems about a week ago with ORP probes set to read as pH on apex, with drip rate at 3 drops / sec. For about a week, it was reading 0.75 but within a couple of days, ORP shot up to 13 (-348) and kept rising. Considering both probes were reading 0.75 from the start, I assumed both were off by that much so I've been subtracting that value. (so about -304+)

Only way for me to get the ORP back down to approximately 10 (-174) is to have the effluent coming out almost as a steady stream. Nitrate of effluent is equal to tank nitrate value. Is this normal or should I disregard ORP and leave the drip rate at 3 drips / sec until effluent nitrate is close to 0 and then increase the flow rate?

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing happen on my SD. The only way I can get a reading of 10 is to have a steady stream. If I get it to a fast drop, it just shoots up to 12 and stays there. So far I’ve just kept it at a steady stream and things seem to work ok.

BTW, a week is too soon to tell if the SD is working. It took mine at least a month to really kick in. It has to build up the bacteria.

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing happen on my SD. The only way I can get a reading of 10 is to have a steady stream. If I get it to a fast drop, it just shoots up to 12 and stays there. So far I’ve just kept it at a steady stream and things seem to work ok.

BTW, a week is too soon to tell if the SD is working. It took mine at least a month to really kick in. It has to build up the bacteria.

I ordered a second ORP probe to make sure it's reading correct but since it's happening on both reactors, I think it's correct. What size reactor and aquarium were you running it on if you don't mind me asking? And was the effluent reading lower nitrate than tank nitrate even at steady stream?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got The TS1 set up on my 240 to battle my NO3 being over 100 probably since I had a full crash on my SPS dominant tank.

Set up was easy and I T'd off from my Ca reactor feed line with a John guest valve. Not too many bubbles to begin with, and I'm using a micro ball valve to control the effluent.

The effluent outflow seems finicky though. I'm eyeballing about 2-3 drops/sec, so I'm hoping this little thing will help my NO3 issue so I can get back into acros in my main display.

A side note, I know some people were having issues with dripping around the re circ pump. I did too, but I used some DOW silicone grease around the Sicce pump O ring and it's not leaking.

Also, the calculation for amount of sulfur needed for a 240 is 1.44L of media, if I can fit 1.5L of media and some reborn media in there comfortably, why would I think this unit is undersized for my volume? Or is it based on the volume of water in the denitrator that makes it "under sized"?

I'll be happy if I can get my DT NO3 to 5-10 ppm range and stick to that.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back