New sulfur denitrator working great!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a shot in the dark, but what if you changed the media ratio? Something like 1/4 sulfur to 3/4 calcium?
Yes that does work but I think once you open the reactor and mess with the media the bacteria probably die due to the oxygen exposure, but I am not 100% sure. In the past when I added more sulfur it was almost like a whole restart of the process, maybe a bit faster because I left most of it undisturbed.

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that does work but I think once you open the reactor and mess with the media the bacteria probably die due to the oxygen exposure, but I am not 100% sure. In the past when I added more sulfur it was almost like a whole restart of the process, maybe a bit faster because I left most of it undisturbed.
Yes, that makes sense. But for the long run, might get you to where you want to go.

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just ordered my own Aquamaxx TS-3, 4 bags of 4 lbs of the sulfur 99.9% prills , a gallon of coarse arm media, toms pump + prefilter and air tubing... am i missing anything to get up and running right away when it arrives? More rigid tubing? Ball valves (what size)?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just ordered my own Aquamaxx TS-3, 4 bags of 4 lbs of the sulfur 99.9% prills , a gallon of coarse arm media, toms pump + prefilter and air tubing... am i missing anything to get up and running right away when it arrives? More rigid tubing? Ball valves (what size)?
Looks like you have everything you need but I am not sure about the toms pump. There is going to be a lot of back pressure on that pump when your closing off the output to get one drip per second etc.
I thought about using one myself at the start but I feared that a lift pump would not last with that kind of restriction. Other people have said that they have had them dripping Kalk for at least two years without an issue so you will probably be fine. If I was you I would keep a spare on hand just in case.

Setting up these reactor is an exercise in patience. Do not raise the drip rate to soon or by to much.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now feeding my TS-2 with a manifold off a larger pump in my sump and have a Kamoer Peristaltic pump pulling from the denitrator. I can now really lower my drip rate and dial it in without worrying too much about clogs. So far it's working sooooo much better than the toms pump.

I just got done doing the same thing with my calcium reactor. Loving it.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now feeding my TS-2 with a manifold off a larger pump in my sump and have a Kamoer Peristaltic pump pulling from the denitrator. I can now really lower my drip rate and dial it in without worrying too much about clogs. So far it's working sooooo much better than the toms pump.

I just got done doing the same thing with my calcium reactor. Loving it.
Dosing pumps are imho the best way to do it but you do have to maintain them. When used constantly they will need new hoses every 6-9 months and it’s a good idea to just change the rollers at the same time. I think they are the easiest way to startup the reactor but once the flow is high enough you can really save cash and Maintance time by using a small Flow pump and a valve.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many confirmed reports do we have that the amazon stuff works? (99.0% sulfur prills)
Only one report that a guy said his friend used it. I cannot imagine that it's really all that different than the one LSM made. I suggest you put some in bottle of tank water for a few days just to make sure the stuff does not melt or do anything weird. About the only thing that worries me is it melting and knowing what that other 1% is.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many confirmed reports do we have that the amazon stuff works? (99.0% sulfur prills)
I'm using it. It's working great. It will clog easier than bigger sulfur, but It has more surface area (per cubic inch) than bigger sulfur for bacteria to grow on.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use it from amazon, the key is first you need a good pre-filter, and then use some polyester floss with the sulfur pellets but works great when I need to use it. Which has been a long time now about a year, since I started using Pacific oysters, my nitrates are around 10 to 15. Heavy feeding

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know as I only have about one refill of LSM left.

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use it from amazon, the key is first you need a good pre-filter, and then use some polyester floss with the sulfur pellets but works great when I need to use it. Which has been a long time now about a year, since I started using Pacific oysters, my nitrates are around 10 to 15. Heavy feeding
I put my feed pump in a filter sock. I think it's a very good pre-filter. I think it will last a long time and will greatly reduce maintenance. So far, I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my feed pump in a filter sock. I think it's a very good pre-filter. I think it will last a long time and will greatly reduce maintenance.
Yeah that's your pre-filter, so as long as you have a good pre-filter I never had any buildup or clog up of my do it yourself sulfur denitrator, with a good pre-filter to start with

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this stuff for mine, it's 99.9%
Update about this media. It just showed up in the mail, and unfortunately it's the same stuff listed on amazon. It is slightly cheaper from the site I linked.. but it's labeled on the bag 99%, not 99.9%.

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see someone letting bubbles out, I open my valve and it sucks in air, compromiseing the recirculating pump.

I am hoping for the same thing, or some advice about the same thing. There was air trapped in mine since I set it up, and it didn't appear to be doing anything as it was trapped near the lid. Now that air has made it's way to the recirc pump and it is just being recycled through the media over and over again. I have tried tilting it but I'm not sure it's working. I took a quick video here. It also seems like my pump is noisier than others I've seen, but maybe that is just from the air?

nldemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still get bubbles but that is not air from a bad connection, I feel that is from the reactor process inside. I just have to open the effluent out and tilt the unit until the air escapes out the effluent. Takes a bit of time...

Can you elaborate on this, or share a quick video of what works for you? Are you removing the effluent tube completely and just letting the air bubble out ?

@NO3 I saw you had a post about letting bubbles out as well. If you can give me any advice, I'd appreciate it :)

Last edited:

JWREA123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this has been answered somewhere in this thread but cannot remember. I have set up a sulfur reactor It has been running now for almost 2 weeks tested the water Leaving the reactor and it was off the chart the water going into the reactor is at 35 nitrate It is running about 3 drops a second and I am using 99% sulfur prills. The Unit is a Ts-1 by aquamax . I've never seen this test liquid turn yellow so fast any help would be much appreciated

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on this, or share a quick video of what works for you? Are you removing the effluent tube completely and just letting the air bubble out ?

@NO3 I saw you had a post about letting bubbles out as well. If you can give me any advice, I'd appreciate it :)
For me, the way I get air out of the system is to turn off the recircuiting pump so all the gas (or air) is at the top of the chamber. Then I tilt it for the air to get into the outlet port. Then the gas (air) bubbles surround the outlet tube and the pressure pushes the gas out. If you try this with the recirculating pump on it will just push the gas through the whole chamber and not have time to exit. When first starting up, I did have to play the plug the circulating pump on for short burst to get trapped air to the top. Kind of a pain but was successful.

JWREA123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to elaborate a little bit more on my post above. I have been carbon dosing A DIY mixture of sugar Vaka and vinegar For 2 years now it was just not achieving what I wanted. So decided to go with the sulfur Reactor I have not completely Stop carbon dosing I have been slowly back It off. I am down to 14 ml A-day should I just completely stop ? I was also wondering if I was doing something wrong. Test it for nitrate the **** kit showed off the chart. I didn't test for nitrite Have not had one of those test kids for years. It has been up and running for a little over 2 weeks I was getting some air it turned out to be a the Tom aqua lifter was letting air into the lines. That problem has been fixed for about a week . Just wanna know if this was normal to have this have test coming out of the reactor. Should I slow the drip Down in is at about 2 drops per second

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back