New Sump Build

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are some photos of a sump build I just completed. I started with a 40g Long and added the glass partitions myself. I've included some pics.

01.JPG
1) 40 Gal Long ($114).

02.JPG
2) Mechanical filtration and live rock chamber marked and ready for silicone. Glass baffles ($50).

03.JPG
3) Long view
04.JPG
4) Corner view.
05.JPG
5) Completed and installed.

06.JPG
6) Mechanical filtration and Live Rock

07.JPG
7) Protein skimmer chamber.

08.JPG
8) Refugium chamber... a work in progress.

09.JPG
9) Return Chamber: Heater, pH probe, ATO float

10.JPG
10) From the front.
11.JPG

11) Overall view.

As you can see, the sump didn't fit under the stand. The actual footprint of the space is enough. But I needed an extra 2 inches to maneuver it into place. As you can see, it is set up on wood blocks on the floor in front of the stand. No biggie; I'm building a new stand for a larger display tank, so, it will definitely fit in the new stand. I'll make sure of it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GEEZ! That came out great!
Simple clean effective! Kudos!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you were right. The floss in the long term will be more cost effective and better filtration.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did u find a 40L & what are the dimensions?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the 40 long?
It is an Aqueon 40L. Easy to find. I picked it up at a local store (Petland Discounts). The manager at this location is heavily into salt water aquariums. I've even purchased livestock from the location as she doesn't rely on the supplier to pack and ship randomly, but in fact goes and hand picks all of her saltwater livestock.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did u find a 40L & what are the dimensions?

It is an Aqueon 40L. Easy to find. I got mine at a local pet store.

Dimensions: 48L x 13w x 21 H

Initially, I was going to use a 20 gallon long, but I wanted more volume. The taller tank also helps keep splashing and salt creep contained.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a 55 gallon.. Looks like someone stuck on the wrong sticker! =)

40 gallon breed is much wider and shorter then a 55Gallon and I believe it does not have a center brace...

Love the sump regardless!

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a 55 gallon.. Looks like someone stuck on the wrong sticker! =)
40 gallon breed is much wider and shorter then a 55Gallon and I believe it does not have a center brace...
Love the sump regardless!

Sorry, but I disagree. While the length and width of the 40 long and 55 are the same, the 55 is 4 1/4 inches taller.

40 gallon long: https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aquariums/standard-glass-rectangle-aquariums
55 gallon: https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aquariums/standard-glass-rectangle-aquariums

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job, nice build. hope to build mine out of a 20L

I think a 20 long is a good choice and considered using one. But I wanted LOTS of room for maintenance. My old sump was much smaller. I can't tell you how many times I avoided doing work on my old sump because it was crowded, making some of the most routine tasks a chore.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I disagree. While the length and width of the 40 long and 55 are the same, the 55 is 4 1/4 inches taller.
the dimensions on the 55 is 21". I had a 55 gallon for years (see below pic) and dread those dimensions and can spot it from any picture. I have never heard of a 40 Gallon long as standard size tank. Perhaps they have it but its not this one. I don't really care I just thought id' correct a wrong statement

Dimension stated put into RC calculator show 56Gallons...

Using the following input parameters

Tank Length = 48 inches
Tank Width = 13 inches
Tank Height = 21 inches
Tank volume is calculated as
Tank Volume = 56.7 Gallons

44801_599676242335_2120221_n.jpg

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whatever, man. Aqueon markets it as a 40 gallon long.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I went and got a 40 long from my lfs 80 bucks. Much cheaper than I expected. Mines a visit though

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I went and got a 40 long from my lfs 80 bucks. Much cheaper than I expected. Mines a visit though

$80.00? Good deal! I paid $115.00 for mine. There is one small detail that I would change about my build...

If you intend to add a refugium, make the sides out of a dark colored glass instead of clear. I used clear glass cut by a local fabricator. The lamp of the refugium lights up the entire sump which has resulted in algae growing in all compartments, lessening as you get father from the light.

A dark colored glass for the refugium walls will help to keep the light contained and minimizing this problem.

Please post pics of your build.

mdlc805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info I was planning g on using black acrylic. I know n people say it doesn't stick as well but my current sump has been holding strong for over a year now. I used clear acrylic on that knew though and experienced the same algae problem

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info I was planning g on using black acrylic. I know n people say it doesn't stick as well but my current sump has been holding strong for over a year now. I used clear acrylic on that knew though and experienced the same algae problem

When "gluing" two pieces of acrylic together, the "glue" isn't actually a glue, but an agent that actually bonds the two pieces together, much in the same way that a weld joins two pieces of metal together. Using aquarium grade silicone to mount your acrylic partitions in place should work. I can't see why it wouldn't.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 61 45.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back