New Sump Build

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are saying that a little extra time with proper setup/prep of your baffles before silicone makes your tank look infinitely better without globs of silicone everywhere? Whoduh thunk! Nice work!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info I was planning g on using black acrylic. I know n people say it doesn't stick as well but my current sump has been holding strong for over a year now. I used clear acrylic on that knew though and experienced the same algae problem

"it doesn't stick as well " doesn't accurately portray the issue. It will eventually leak. Silicone and acrylic do not make a permanent bond.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet sump Build! I'm building mine this summer. I was gonna use a 40 breeder, but I think I'll go with a 40 long instead. Also I'll have my sump in the basement on a bench at gut level. With all that space and not having to get on my hands and knees, my maintainence should be a breeze. Thanks for sharing your build.

Thank you.

NakiFantaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sump! I'm in the process of turning a 29 gallons into a sump for my 60 gallon display.
Have all my glass cut and ready to go... but should I paint the baffles that section off the fuge? If so what kind of paint is best? And reef safe?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sump! I'm in the process of turning a 29 gallons into a sump for my 60 gallon display.
Have all my glass cut and ready to go... but should I paint the baffles that section off the fuge? If so what kind of paint is best? And reef safe?

I don't know about painting baffles; I just don't like the idea of dry paint within the water. I'd be concerned about chemicals from the paint leeching.

I wonder how window tint from a local automotive store would work. With that, you're only dealing with the adhesive from the tint.

Let us know how you decide to proceed.

My glass guy offered to seal a thin sheet of PVC between two pieces of 1/8th glass. This would make for a baffle just over the 1/4" inch thickness of the other glass baffles in use.

Back