1   0   0
Nice job!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom what did you use for your drip tray under the floss? Did you just use egg crate? If so, are you getting much dispersion or is it more centered around drain pipe?

I am in the process of making a 40B sump and am just wondering as this would be easier than making a sock holder

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job not to mention you probably saved a bunch of money diy is the only way to fly.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom what did you use for your drip tray under the floss? Did you just use egg crate? If so, are you getting much dispersion or is it more centered around drain pipe?

I am in the process of making a 40B sump and am just wondering as this would be easier than making a sock holder

I'm using egg crate. I also use white felt under the floss pad which serves as a polisher/drip pad and makes for even dispersion.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!

Is it just me or is your heater waaaay too far out of water?

Nah... the heating element is completely submerged and my tank temp is at a consistent 25 degrees Celsius. I built a temperature controller which controls it and a cooling fan.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When "gluing" two pieces of acrylic together, the "glue" isn't actually a glue, but an agent that actually bonds the two pieces together, much in the same way that a weld joins two pieces of metal together. Using aquarium grade silicone to mount your acrylic partitions in place should work. I can't see why it wouldn't.
I used acrylic and silicone to hold them to glass. You can also use glass and then silicone black acrylic to the glass dividers.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a nice job. I built my own using a 70 gallon wide. I was going to put my sump on the other side of wall in the garage using a 125 gallon but when outside temperatures reach 120 degrees F during the summer I would also have to add a chiller. If I ever get my garage cleaned out I may still do that, I already own the chiller.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a nice job. I built my own using a 70 gallon wide. I was going to put my sump on the other side of wall in the garage using a 125 gallon but when outside temperatures reach 120 degrees F during the summer I would also have to add a chiller. If I ever get my garage cleaned out I may still do that, I already own the chiller.

My home has central air. But I also have a wall unit in the same room as the tank (It was there prior to central being installed). I set the wall unit to constantly on and plugged it into the temperature controller opposite the heater on the tank. So even if the house is cool enough, the room ac will kick on if the tank gets too warm.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WHERE did you get a 70 gallon wide???

I'm planning a new build using a 75 gallon. But the footprint is only 48". I'd like to sacrifice the height and perhaps get a tank that was 60".

Who makes the tank?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHERE did you get a 70 gallon wide???

I'm planning a new build using a 75 gallon. But the footprint is only 48". I'd like to sacrifice the height and perhaps get a tank that was 60".

Who makes the tank?
had one built through a local pet store cost me less than glasscages sells it for. It is called wide which is front to back 24". It still give me room for reactors and 20# co2 tank under the stand. I also have a 40 tall under my stand for ATO last for about 10 days worth of evaporation.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are some photos of a sump build I just completed. I started with a 40g Long and added the glass partitions myself. I've included some pics.

01.JPG
1) 40 Gal Long ($114).

02.JPG
2) Mechanical filtration and live rock chamber marked and ready for silicone. Glass baffles ($50).

03.JPG
3) Long view
04.JPG
4) Corner view.
05.JPG
5) Completed and installed.

06.JPG
6) Mechanical filtration and Live Rock

07.JPG
7) Protein skimmer chamber.

08.JPG
8) Refugium chamber... a work in progress.

09.JPG
9) Return Chamber: Heater, pH probe, ATO float

10.JPG
10) From the front.
11.JPG

11) Overall view.

As you can see, the sump didn't fit under the stand. The actual footprint of the space is enough. But I needed an extra 2 inches to maneuver it into place. As you can see, it is set up on wood blocks on the floor in front of the stand. No biggie; I'm building a new stand for a larger display tank, so, it will definitely fit in the new stand. I'll make sure of it.
Sweet sump Build! I'm building mine this summer. I was gonna use a 40 breeder, but I think I'll go with a 40 long instead. Also I'll have my sump in the basement on a bench at gut level. With all that space and not having to get on my hands and knees, my maintainence should be a breeze. Thanks for sharing your build.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info I was planning g on using black acrylic. I know n people say it doesn't stick as well but my current sump has been holding strong for over a year now. I used clear acrylic on that knew though and experienced the same algae problem
You could always just silicone black plexiglass to the glass partitions that make up the walls of the refugium. The glass works better as a partition because silicone bonds a lot stronger to glass than acrylic.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back