New sump HOB drains

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new sump with a HOB overflow two drains etc. trying to get the water flow right but I got wayyy too much water going down the drains. I think I need to dial back the return (ball valve) and then play with the slightly adjustable weir/ in-tank box height??

Any input appreciated

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better choice is a gate gate valve to offer more control.

Can you share some photos?
Very hard to find a sch40 1” gate —- I’ll snap some pics in the am when I attempt to play with it again

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually didn’t even realize I could use sch80 with 40 pipe, cool! But until then here’s where I’m at…

I think part of the problem is I’m using 2” sch40 pvc with reducers to 1” soft at all connections points… ?

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually didn’t even realize I could use sch80 with 40 pipe, cool! But until then here’s where I’m at…

I think part of the problem is I’m using 2” sch40 pvc with reducers to 1” soft at all connections points…

I’m not concerned about the noise in the basement but rather the nose upstairs in the DT area it’s super loud :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 12

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t know enough about HOB overflows, but you have all the ingredients to have an amazing setup with an external overflow tank!

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that was water falling into the larger pipe. If you could slow it down it would help but I can’t give any good advice because I don’t know what happens with HOB when you slow the siphon.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that was water falling into the larger pipe. If you could slow it down it would help but I can’t give any good advice because I don’t know what happens with HOB when you slow the siphon.
That's definitely a worthy concern. Anytime when water is required to go above the main tank water level you're subject to air bubbles accumulating at the high point. Get a big enough air pocket and it breaks the siphon.

High flow can prevent that, slowing the flow might be a recipe for concern.

But I agree, restricting the flow of the full siphon will quiet it down.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely a worthy concern. Anytime when water is required to go above the main tank water level you're subject to air bubbles accumulating at the high point. Get a big enough air pocket and it breaks the siphon.

High flow can prevent that, slowing the flow might be a recipe for concern.

But I agree, restricting the flow of the full siphon will quiet it down.
But how I that done? A gate on the drain lines?

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a gate valve is the best option, your initial thought of a ball valve will work too, but isn't ideal for fine tuning.
I read that people don’t usually put any sort of restrictions on the drain side … but maybe this is an exception to the rule?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that people don’t usually put any sort of restrictions on the drain side … but maybe this is an exception to the rule?
Are you saying in general? Or for for this particular HOB set up?

I would venture to say that because you're draining to a basement, the velocity of flow is greater than if it were draining a few feet below the tank. Given that perspective, your set up is different than a traditional system. I would think that you'd have to slow flow down to simulate the flow equivalency to that of a traditional setup.

OP
OP
tb582

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok bought two ball valves and put them on … I think I made it worse lol - I just can’t get the return + drains dialed in right.

So the inner box height only really controls the tank water volume so once that’s set the only other things to play with are the return ball valve and the drain ball valve …. I’m all for ideas if there some way to attack this problem.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't restrict both drains, just the one that's considered the full siphon. The other shouldn't have much flow theough it, just a trickle at best.

It's bot surprising that ypu can't get the fine adjustments with a ball valve. Gate valve would be best.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%
Back