New sump Loud Noise!!!!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my sump today, water level high, and i plugged in the following equipment and turned them on: DC pump (noiseiest), skimmer (fairly quiet), phospban reactor (quiet), heater, and a pump for the reactor (quiet). The DC pump is so loud! Also do we have to much or to little water, is that what is causing the noise? Heres a video of the noise, our sump, and the tank.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my sump today, water level high, and i plugged in the following equipment and turned them on: DC pump (noiseiest), skimmer (fairly quiet), phospban reactor (quiet), heater, and a pump for the reactor (quiet). The DC pump is so loud! Also do we have to much or to little water, is that what is causing the noise? Heres a video of the noise, our sump, and the tank.

You need to adjust your valve on the left. You need to balance your return flow and the overflow valve. Set how fast you want your return pump. Then open the valve all the way. Slowly close the valve- start with like one turn every 5 minutes. It will slowly get quieter. As it gets quieter do small incremental turns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust your valve on the left. You need to balance your return flow and the overflow valve. Set how fast you want your return pump. Then open the valve all the way. Slowly close the valve- start with like one turn every 5 minutes. It will slowly get quieter. As it gets quieter do small incremental turns.
ok ill try. Which way do i turn the valve to make it quieter?

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like roof gutters during a flash flood.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my pump was super quiet, but most of any ambient noise/vibration was being caused through the connection to the pipes. You could try a silicone (food-safe) pad underneath the return pump - that might help?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pump is likely sucking air due to low water level thereby gurgling. To fix this, lower the amount of flow going up to tank to allow water level to rise and drainage to keep up.
To clarify - it appears pump is pumping water to tank faster than water can flow into sump. If you have a speed control on pump, simply lower GPH.
If not, get yourself a ball valve (as pictured below) in which you can turn valve and slow the flow as needed.

1625784116613.png
1625784142761.png

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump is likely sucking air due to low water level thereby gurgling. To fix this, lower the amount of flow going up to tank to allow water level to rise and drainage to keep up.
To clarify - it appears pump is pumping water to tank faster than water can flow into sump. If you have a speed control on pump, simply lower GPH.
If not, get yourself a ball valve (as pictured below) in which you can turn valve and slow the flow as needed.

1625784116613.png
1625784142761.png
Nailed it

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the level in your overflow by turning the down flow valve, slowly. Very small increments. Wait 3-4 minutes in between adjustments. Turn the Red Sea valve clockwise to raise the level in your over flow until it reaches the emergency down flow tube. It is explained in the owners manual. Adjusted properly your aquarium will be very quiet.

Back