New Sump Question

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling up my new 80g tank, and previous owner marked on the sump the minimum and maximum levels of water for the return pump. Should it be kept at exactly maximum or anywhere in between, just not minimum?

image.jpg image.jpg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends completely on the drain back from your tank when the return pump is powered off. the previous user added those lines to avoid the sump from overflowing onto their floor.
i would start short of that line, cut the power off and see how much it drains back. when it stops filling add your own lines and enjoy your new sump!

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easiest way to figure out minimum and maximum is to turn off the pump let it all drain back and you can fill it near the top. Turn on the pump then when it levels out thats your maximum hight. Then I keep my min about 1” above the pump so it doesnt run dry.

i keep my ato setup to run inbetween the 2 lines.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also that fluval heater looks like its not submerged. You need them fully submerged or bad things can happen. I like to keep it in the chamber after the thermometer so you get an accurate reading of the display.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind that the amount of water that will backflow from the return line siphon can be dependent on how the return nozzles are positioned in the tank. If they are positioned high then there may be little back flow until the siphon breaks. However if the return nozzles get adjusted lower (either intentionally or accidentally) then the back flow siphon _could_ drain a lot more water back into the sump.

In order to avoid much/any backflow from the return line(s) I have installed check valves in my return lines.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In order to avoid much/any backflow from the return line(s) I have installed check valves in my return lines.

I dont even bother putting check valves in, its just another thing to fail or need to clean. A properly setup system should have no reliance on check valves imo.

OP
OP
clownfishowner225

clownfishowner225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that fluval heater looks like its not submerged. You need them fully submerged or bad things can happen. I like to keep it in the chamber after the thermometer so you get an accurate reading of the display.
I know, tank isn’t set up yet trying to figure out where to put it in sump

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back