New Swiss 1900 liter (500G) Build

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the objectives of this build was automation... hence no more hauling buckets unless in an emergency. Therefore, here is how I'm going to setup the automatic water change and ATO on the tank:

AWC & ATO System.jpg

(The two Litermeter pumps are actually connected together as well)

The fresh saltwater tank will hold about 430 liters which at 1% change a day will last 24 days. I could always reduce this to 0.5% water change per day which would double the number of days.

The RO/DI tank will hold 140 liters. This volume is less important as it will refill automatically. I just wanted it big enough so that the RO/DI unit wasn't running every day to fill it. I calculate that the 140 liters will last about five to ten days, depending on the time of year.
You’re going to need an ATO for your New Salt Water tank?

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have decided on my supplier for the tank, sump and stand. We're still debating 19mm or 24mm. Probably go for 24mm.

The tank and stand structure (aluminum) will be built at my house. The plan is to have the tank and stand in place by the end of June so I can start installing all the equipment and piping. Hope to get wet by end of July! :D:D

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two return pumps. I changed the model purchased from the 80w to the 100w and completely forgot to check the output pipe size. That goes up from 32mm to 40mm and I was planning to use 32mm for my returns. Any idea how much reduction in flow this will cause?

IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are starting to come together! Very nice Laith :)

Thanks. Yes, things are moving along!

Spent hours the other day putting together an order for all the PVC piping and associated bits. And there are lots of bits! :eek: And I'm sure that I will have ordered one too few of one of the crucial bits :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on an Avast Skimmate Locker (along with their Swabbie for the skimmer).

Should I get the large (5.9 liter) or the Super one that snaps onto a 5 gallon bucket? I want to be able to go at least two weeks without emptying the thing.

Having doubts about how much skimmate will actually be produced, especially given that I will have the RE "Vlies" fleece rollermat upstream from the skimmer...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a large piece of cardboard that is exactly the height of the tank (90cm). So played around with seeing how easy it will be to get in and out of the tank at the beginning to place all the rockwork. I have 60cm between the top of the tank and the ceiling. The Mitras lights will be on rails so I can slide them left or right out of the way of the location where I need to work.

Just enough room to get in and out. But without a footstool in the tank to climb out I'd never be able to get out of the thing! :rolleyes:

The depth of the tank is going to be the biggest challenge... but hopefully it will also be what will make the tank stand out. It's a big bet but I think it will be worth it (I hope!) :cool:

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two return pumps. I changed the model purchased from the 80w to the 100w and completely forgot to check the output pipe size. That goes up from 32mm to 40mm and I was planning to use 32mm for my returns.

Putting together the rest of my GHL order and just realized that the largest GHL flow sensor is 32mm. Putting those on 40mm returns is going to restrict flow :oops::(.

:mad:

Well, the flow sensor is more of a nice to have item and not a required item. I'll start without them.

Bright side: save some money, a good thing since watching the scary rate at which budget is being used up :eek:.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through your thread. It is looking like this will be a great build!

I noticed no one commented much on the glass thickness. I will say that a safety factor of 3.8 is generally used for aquariums. If you use 3.8 in the calculator you are using, it returns a 23mm thickness. This is the minimum I would feel comfortable using and think going with the quoted 25mm glass would be a very good idea.

As for the 40mm return size (and I'm sure you already know this); it is always advised to use the output pipe size of the pump unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. Going to a smaller size will cause additional undue wear on the pump.

Following along and looking forward to watching your system come to life!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through your thread. It is looking like this will be a great build!

I noticed no one commented much on the glass thickness. I will say that a safety factor of 3.8 is generally used for aquariums. If you use 3.8 in the calculator you are using, it returns a 23mm thickness. This is the minimum I would feel comfortable using and think going with the quoted 25mm glass would be a very good idea.

As for the 40mm return size (and I'm sure you already know this); it is always advised to use the output pipe size of the pump unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer. Going to a smaller size will cause additional undue wear on the pump.

Following along and looking forward to watching your system come to life!

Yes, in the end the glass that has been ordered is 2x12mm low-iron (Starphire type) glass. And I will have one brace across the middle of the top. Originally I didn't want a brace like that at all but it has two advantages:

1. It allows you to have narrower eurobracing around the inside edge. Working in the tank is going to be difficult enough with this depth that having very wide eurobracing would have made it that much more difficult.

2. The builder brought up a point that had never entered my mind: it gives me a shelf to put things on when I am working on the tank ;Happy.

Royal Exclusiv did indicate to me that going one size down on their return pumps is ok but I decided to stick with the 40mm. Pumps will run more efficiently and can run at lower power which makes them even quieter. The goal with the two pumps was to have both running at around 50% and give me the sump flowthrough I want. And then if one has a problem, the other one can take over at higher power to provide more or less the same flow.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how would you guys get good flow in this tank without using CLs? I want at least 50-70x flow...

At the moment I'm thinking two Gyre 350s on the end opposite the overflow near the surface and two Hydro Wizard 63s at the end where the overflow is... I can't seem to find another solution that can get flow down the 3m length of the tank without adding pumps on the glass opposite the overflow.

Help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back