New tang question

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 120 gallon tank. So far I have two cleaner shrimp, two clowns, a Midas blenny, starry blenny and a yellow tang. My friend decided to buy me a powder blue tang as a surprise. Very nice of him but also not expected.

So here is the question. My yellow tang is nicknamed the Yellow Menace for a reason lol. How do I make sure the introduction to my display tank goes smoothly?

OP
OP
GloomyGoomy

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on updating my tank as soon as I finish updating the basement. Will they be okay in there for 6 months? 8 months at the longest?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an acclimation box -- @James M is correct about the tank size. A 120 is really big and I bet it is gorgeous, but tangs do need a lot of room to swim around in. Some folks say it has to be at least a six foot tank. Now Liveaquaria says you can have a powder blue tang in 75 gallons of water -- which surprises me. Blue Zoo and saltwaterfish.com say 125 gallons minimum. So this information will be left up to you and you will need to decide what to do with this information. You have a wonderful friend to purchase such a fantastic fish for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GloomyGoomy

GloomyGoomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an acclimation box -- @James M is correct about the tank size. A 120 is really big and I bet it is gorgeous, but tangs need a lot of room to swim around in. Now Liveaquaria says you can have a blue tang in 75 gallons of water -- which surprises me. Blue Zoo and saltwaterfish.com say 180 gallons. Now fishcare.com says that 100 gallons are needed minimum, but 200 gallons are optimal. So this information will be left up to you and you will need to decide what to do with this information. You have a wonderful friend to purchase such a fantastic fish for you.
He feeds my addiction lol yeah I’m kinda confused on the actual tank size needed for tangs. Each site says something different

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He feeds my addiction lol yeah I’m kinda confused on the actual tank size needed for tangs. Each site says something different
My original post was for a blue tang, but I noticed after you said "powder blue" which is a tad smaller. I made the changes but you already replied to my post. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back