New tang twitchy

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I need quick assistance, my new tang appears to be twitching his body and top fins when swimming around periodically. It’s not happening often but sometimes when swimming around. I got him yesterday, he was not QT. He’s swimming around a lot and eating seaweed flakes already, fins look good and so does body.

Does this look like flukes or some parasite? In the video you can also see him breathing, is that fast?

I read they do that as an aggression type twitch, he does it mostly when swimming against glass and he has been “attacking” the glass a little bit. Any thoughts? I tried catching him for dip but I can’t, and it’s stressing us both out. Thanks for help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I need quick assistance, my new tang appears to be twitching his body and top fins when swimming around periodically. It’s not happening often but sometimes when swimming around. I got him yesterday, he was not QT. He’s swimming around a lot and eating seaweed flakes already, fins look good and so does body.

Does this look like flukes or some parasite? In the video you can also see him breathing, is that fast?

I read they do that as an aggression type twitch, he does it mostly when swimming against glass and he has been “attacking” the glass a little bit. Any thoughts? I tried catching him for dip but I can’t, and it’s stressing us both out. Thanks for help!

If it is stressed, trying to catch it will further stress it out and cause other issues including injury, etc
If you cant catch it easily and dip, you can go Hyposalinity in whereas you lower tank salinity to 1.022-1.023 for a day ot two, then do water changed and bring it back up but no more than ( +/- ) 2 at one time

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Sorry but what exactly would going hypo do? He was at 1.020 when I got him. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Sorry but what exactly would going hypo do? He was at 1.020 when I got him. Thanks!
Hypo reduces chance of disease and flukes. If brought up gradually, they will adapt fine. If quickly, can get ich, flukes, black ich and other symptoms

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks.

I have now noticed his feces, it’s white clumps that blow up into fine particles, these are happening somewhat frequently, it’s not stringy at all, very powdery.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright thanks.

I have now noticed his feces, it’s white clumps that blow up into fine particles, these are happening somewhat frequently, it’s not stringy at all, very powdery.
May have Internal parasites. start with PraziPro and monitor both fish and its' feces

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some focus and bind general cure with the focus to the foods for internal parasites

Thanks, will do!

Is there a protocol for binding general cure to food? How much general cure should I bind to x amount of food? I can only find directions for dosing entire tank. Thanks!

EDIT: I found this online:

General Cure can be used as a medicated fish food soak by using 1/2 a packet for an average 60 gallon bio load medicated fish preparation. Fish food should be soaked for 15 minutes.
After soak, pour entire contents into aquarium.

I am dosing a very young reef tank so I want to be really safe doing this.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What people seem to do (we do) is use the scoop that comes in the focus to measure out the focus and then a scoop of the general cure. Mix and Let sit for 15 minutes on the food (thawed mysis, lifeline or what ever) then feed. Try to only add to the tank what will get consumed quickly. Then Add more. Focus is also an antibiotic with a binder and there is abx and parasitic control in the general cure (metro and praziquantel). We add a scoop of each to one frozen square of shrimp or lifeline (maybe two).

External parasite treatments seem to be pretty ineffective at getting into the fish but work well for what is on the fish. That is why feeding treated foods is important especially when you see the long stringy white movements.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back