New tangs

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just got 2 tangs, a blue hippo and a larger brunette naso tang.
I added them to the DT at the same time to reduce territoriality. It’s cute, they remind me of my paired clowns the way they stick together.
Anyway, they seem to be doing well and eating any food offered. They completely decimate the seaweed in the clips within a couple of hours. I’m just wondering, how often do you replace that seaweed? I will go through a lot of it if it needs to be in constant supply!! What do most of you do?

Attachments

• IMG_0368.mov
    10.7 MB

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a Blonde Naso that only eats Nori. I have to keep a constant supply because of this. It's taking him a long time to gain weight due to his picky diet. All of my other Tangs eat LRS Reef Frenzy with a passion and only snack on the Nori.

PotomacReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blonde Naso that only eats Nori. I have to keep a constant supply because of this. It's taking him a long time to gain weight due to his picky diet. All of my other Tangs eat LRS Reef Frenzy with a passion and only snack on the Nori.

This was a problem for me when I kept a Naso. I used the seaweed pellets from Hikari and put them on an auto feeder into a frozen food diffuser in my tank. Kept the Naso really well fed :)

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add mine every other day. But your tank looks REALLY new, with no algae growth, so until you get some I would add it every day. Tangs are often called "the cows of the ocean". Because all day every day the graze and pick at algae. And it's super important for their health. Once your tang matures and has some growth of it's own, then you can maybe cut back

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Miller535 really nailed it. I have a hippo, yellow and kole tang in my mature 125 along with a foxface. They get about 1/3 of a sheet every other day. Keeps them interested in keeping the tank clean. I would continue to feed nori every day until the tank matures a little bit. Awesome scape by the way!

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I do just still have mostly diatom algae now but some bright green flat algae is starting to pop up on the rocks and sand. The both readily take flakes and pellets and I also feed frozen shrimp to the little clowns and a tiny blue chromis. I thought we were ready for all this as we had a small fish only marine tank about 30 years ago but we have so much more to learn. Happy these groups exist so we are able to learn from the valuable experiences of others!

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I do just still have mostly diatom algae now but some bright green flat algae is starting to pop up on the rocks and sand. The both readily take flakes and pellets and I also feed frozen shrimp to the little clowns and a tiny blue chromis. I thought we were ready for all this as we had a small fish only marine tank about 30 years ago but we have so much more to learn. Happy these groups exist so we are able to learn from the valuable experiences of others!

Another thing to remember about tangs, is that they will eat ANYTHING. But they are herbivores, so while meaty foods fill their bellies, it does little for them nutritionally. The key to long term health for tangs is algae/herbivore food every day. If not, tangs tend to get HLLE

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Nori but got fed up of feeding it all the time so I do it occasionally, but I feed Ocean Nutrition formulas 1 and 2 every day with a bias towards formula 2 which is for the vegetarians from the Apex auto feeder.

I also feed frozen daily and mix this around with different types.

Ive got 7 Yellow tangs and there always hungry!

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 tangs in my main DT a Gem, Purple, Yellow, Sailfin, Blue, Convict, Blue eyed kole, Chervon, And achilles they finish one of those in under a minute plus I have angels that like nipping at it too I just balance everything out I give in the morning flakes. In the afternoon Nori and Seaweed. And in the evening I give a mix of everything. Brine, Mysis, Sponge, Squid.

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel ya!! Theres soooooooo much to learn, and then more to learn after that

We just started a tank of our own as well. Adding first fish today, two Dot Clowns acclimating now. Thanks for this thread as we want a blue tang at some point and I'll need to know the answers the questions you've asked! Great looking tank, keep it up!!

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure this uploaded properly but it is much better than the first one I posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.MOV
    22.8 MB

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3/4 half sheets of organic nori every day to my tangs and angels. They love it and I cant think of them not having it daily. Keeps them healthy, belly’s full and seems to help with natural aggression, They finish it off in an hour or 2 then graze on rocks rest of the day. I also feed a frozen mix of mysis, brime, sponge and pellets soaked in selcon in the afternoon...I have a yellow, gem, purple, blonde naso and yellow belly hippo along with angels in a 625g FOWLR. Good luck and go for it on the nori!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to macro algae, not cheato, they want to graze, elastic band it to a piece of rubble?
I have 4 tangs and a ff that all take red nori with garlic but won't touch green nori.
As above, variety is good, their digestive systems are not deigned for frozen shrimp, it will keep them alive but who knows how healthy?
Good luck.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else in this hobby it depends on your reef. Energy (food) in, energy out. However much nori you put in, you need to account for its removal as waste in your system. Until your system get a bit more mature with algae I would make sure they have enough nori to keep them healthy. How much, how often, and when to cut back is totally dependent on your fish‘s health and your parameters (nutrient export capabilities). Tangs eat and poop a lot so act accordingly. I have a Gem and Whitetail Bristle tooth that I feed 1/2 sheet every other day. My wrasses however love nori as well so they account for much of it. Have fun!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back