New tank, 2nd cycle..?

Andy_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 weeks ago I set up a new 20 gallon nano. Dosed Dr. Tim's ammonium nitrate to 2ppm and Dr. Tim's live nitrifying bacteria. Cycle went fine, checked last night and I was back down to 0-.25 per API test. Checked again tonight with a Red Sea kit just to be sure, ammonia is thru the roof. Grabbed the API kit just to see if it was really that off, and API also showed ammonia thru the roof. Like, 8.0 bad. What the heck happened? 0 fish, 1 astrea and 1 hermit added a few days ago, 0 lights. How on earth did it go from cycled to outright toxic overnight like that? I did do a massive water change after the cycle finished (like 90%), Tuesday, to try and get rid of some slime. Dosed Fritz 460 last night to help with the slime after the water change Tuesday. pH tonight was 7.6, so I'm assuming the water change dropped the pH and raised my toxic ammonia? I added another 2 oz bottle of Dr. Tim's tonight.. I haven't checked nitrates or nitrites today bc at that level of ammonia I assume it's just going to be a waste. I'm assuming another water change is about my only option, but how much should I do? 50%?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit dosing the chemicals and let the tank cycle on it's own.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's very little that can cause nitrifiers to fail once they get rolling - but Oxygen is an absolute requirement. Slime + low pH suggests maybe a bacterial bloom that depleted all O2 and thus cycling can't proceed.
(sometimes if O2 is low and the bacterial bloom is rolling, it can even go backwards - NO3 reduced to NO2, and - rarely - even to ammonia)

Crank up aeration and no worries.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back