New tank - Alkalinity dropping

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young tanks / cyling / establishing biological beds eats alkalinity, and can eat it really fast. They need to get carbon to grow from somewhere. Also, live sand and crushed coral contains some organics, and as these decompose (they go from a sealed bag to lots of fresh 02 in salt water) they use up alk.

Short form is alk is used up by all kinds of biological processes, especially when tanks are cycling. I woulnd't even bother test calcium and magnesium. It's not going to go anywhere and you are just wasting test kits. I would also target a higher alk value like 8.5 or 9 if you are going to balance calcium at 450.

Use a capfull of ammonia vs that dead shrimp. Saves you a lot of time.

I'm ussing dead shrimp now. I can't find any ammonia solution here in the Netherlands that I trust.
Do you know a good solution I can get here

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ussing dead shrimp now. I can't find any ammonia solution here in the Netherlands that I trust.
Do you know a good solution I can get here

The person you are asking has not been on in several years. I’m not sure what is available. Can you buy ammonium bicarbonate or ammonium chloride?

Frans1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person you are asking has not been on in several years. I’m not sure what is available. Can you buy ammonium bicarbonate or ammonium chloride?

I started with "live sand" and "microbe lift nite out 2". I put 4 shrimp in a filterbag and this are my readings now.
If I see this I think everything is oke, only nitrate is already getting very high. I use "Red Sea Coral Pro Zout" with alkalinity of 12, it dropped already to 8.45. Is this normal for a cycling aquarium?

1710272710326.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with "live sand" and "microbe lift nite out 2". I put 4 shrimp in a filterbag and this are my readings now.
If I see this I think everything is oke, only nitrate is already getting very high. I use "Red Sea Coral Pro Zout" with alkalinity of 12, it dropped already to 8.45. Is this normal for a cycling aquarium?

1710272710326.png

The nitrite is causing interference in nitrate testing. Nitrate is likely not that high.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back