New Tank and Equipment Info

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks!

I am getting back into the hobby after a hiatus, and things have seriously changed over the past few years.

I just bought a SCAquariums 50 Gallon Cube Plug and Play system, and I am getting my item list together for the equipment Ill need.

Here is what I am looking at so far, are there any changes yall would make? I would appreciate any help you can give.
Tank and Sump:
www.scaquariums.com

50 GALLON STARFIRE PNP SYSTEM

www.scaquariums.com
PROTEIN SKIMMER: SCA-301
RATED FOR 180 GALLON
SKIMMER PUMP: ATMAN PH2000
IMPELLER: NEEDLE
RETURN PUMP: ATMAN PH3000 500 GPH

Lights:
LOOP Orbit R24 Reef Light w/ eFlux Pumps Bundle - 2xLED - Current USA

www.bulkreefsupply.com

LOOP Orbit R24 Reef Light w/ eFlux Pumps Bundle - 2xLED - Current USA

Perfect for SPS and mixed reef aquariums up to 36″. This convenient bundle from Current USA combines coral-specific lighting with controllable return and wave pumps to create the ideal smart system for any SPS or mixed-reef aquarium up to 3 feet in length. All bundled items are controllable...
www.bulkreefsupply.com
www.bulkreefsupply.com

4 Gallon ATO Reservoir

200W Ultra Heater - AQUAEL

Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED - Innovative Marine

BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual with Sicce Syncra 1.5 Pump

Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 300 - Two Little Fishies

Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off - Tunze

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I mean, it does if you think so too!

There are a few areas, one may wish to consider. If you are only looking at a 1.5 pump, you'll need closer to the 3 for this tank, especially as it wears. I also recommend something to measure flow of this when possible, as you'll want to know if something gets in the impeller or it wears out. Another item to consider is the skimmer. It will probably work just fine, but it is an economical A/C skimmer and the pump will likely be very low quality and noisy. It might be worth it to just consider another model with a better pump if you'll be near it regularly. As for the kalkwasser reactor, very nice addition but do know its something that will likely need to be external to your tank and sump and is not required until you have a demand that justifies it, otherwise water changes and light to moderate dosing may be more practical. There are also other considerations for dosing for phosphate and nitrate control, so this is another reason to consider adding the reactor later.

Congratulations and keep us updated on your build!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’ve had the Orbit loop stuff and it sucks. You can get better lights and pumps for less money. Look at 165W viparspectras, Jebao SW30’s, and a Jebao return pump. Seems a bit early to add all the reactors. You probably won’t need them for at least 6 months to a year. You’ll have a better idea then of what will best meet your needs, so it’s probably prudent to wait. Actually just saw you’ve got 2 return pumps. Only need 1 unless you’re buying a backup?
If budget is a concern, don’t waste money on a crazy overpriced ATO reservoir, a 5 gallon bucket works just the same. If you need specific dimensions you can use Weldon and sheets of acrylic to build your own….$200 to hold water is crazy.
Add an inkbird controller for your heater.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’ve had the Orbit loop stuff and it sucks. You can get better lights and pumps for less money. Look at 165W viparspectras, Jebao SW30’s, and a Jebao return pump. Seems a bit early to add all the reactors. You probably won’t need them for at least 6 months to a year. You’ll have a better idea then of what will best meet your needs, so it’s probably prudent to wait. Actually just saw you’ve got 2 return pumps. Only need 1 unless you’re buying a backup?
If budget is a concern, don’t waste money on a crazy overpriced ATO reservoir, a 5 gallon bucket works just the same. If you need specific dimensions you can use Weldon and sheets of acrylic to build your own….$200 to hold water is crazy.
Add an inkbird controller for your heater.

Awesome!

I wasnt planning on adding the reactors until i had enough of a coral load to actually deplete the stuff in my salt mix.

As for the pumps and stuff, the tank comes with a return pump, but i have read some mixed reviews on it, so i thought having a backup might be a good idea.

As for the lights, I read a bunch of good reviews, but i have no experience with the brand. I like that the include controllability. I am not set on any brand specifically, I just want to make sure

On the ATO tank, i picked it mainly for the dimensions. I agree it is ridiculously over priced. Normally I would just use a HPDE bucket or something.

I will certainly look into the inkbird.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

I wasnt planning on adding the reactors until i had enough of a coral load to actually deplete the stuff in my salt mix.

As for the pumps and stuff, the tank comes with a return pump, but i have read some mixed reviews on it, so i thought having a backup might be a good idea.

As for the lights, I read a bunch of good reviews, but i have no experience with the brand. I like that the include controllability. I am not set on any brand specifically, I just want to make sure

On the ATO tank, i picked it mainly for the dimensions. I agree it is ridiculously over priced. Normally I would just use a HPDE bucket or something.

I will certainly look into the inkbird.
5 gallon bucket or an empty bucket from your salt mix makes the bestest ATO reservoir ever. Just saying LOL

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the reactors during the build, but don't use them until you need them. It's always easier to do that sort of thing when the tank is empty.

I prefer to oversize my return pump run my reactors off a return manifold. Fewer cords/plugs, less equipment in the sump, etc.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I mean, it does if you think so too!

There are a few areas, one may wish to consider. If you are only looking at a 1.5 pump, you'll need closer to the 3 for this tank, especially as it wears. I also recommend something to measure flow of this when possible, as you'll want to know if something gets in the impeller or it wears out. Another item to consider is the skimmer. It will probably work just fine, but it is an economical A/C skimmer and the pump will likely be very low quality and noisy. It might be worth it to just consider another model with a better pump if you'll be near it regularly. As for the kalkwasser reactor, very nice addition but do know its something that will likely need to be external to your tank and sump and is not required until you have a demand that justifies it, otherwise water changes and light to moderate dosing may be more practical. There are also other considerations for dosing for phosphate and nitrate control, so this is another reason to consider adding the reactor later.

Congratulations and keep us updated on your build!
Thanks! The skimmer that comes with it has very mixed reviews. I will most likely be upgrading it in the future. I have always had great experience with Reef Octopus, so Ill likely get one of those.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the reactors during the build, but don't use them until you need them. It's always easier to do that sort of thing when the tank is empty.

I prefer to oversize my return pump run my reactors off a return manifold. Fewer cords/plugs, less equipment in the sump, etc.
Thats pretty much what my plan was, get it all set up and plugged in and just use them when needed

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro Tip: Kalkwasser is best in areas with humidity under 40% or in a house with constant running air conditioning. If you’ve got that, then heck yeah, kalk all the way. Otherwise, 2-part, all-for-one or a calcium reactor is the way to go. A TLF KW300 has never been able to sustain any of my tanks on its own because the humidity in San Diego is too high and it’s ridiculously expensive running AC here.

OP
OP
J

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro Tip: Kalkwasser is best in areas with humidity under 40% or in a house with constant running air conditioning. If you’ve got that, then heck yeah, kalk all the way. Otherwise, 2-part, all-for-one or a calcium reactor is the way to go. A TLF KW300 has never been able to sustain any of my tanks on its own because the humidity in San Diego is too high and it’s ridiculously expensive running AC here.
I wife keeps our house at the rough temperature of Hoth in the winter.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The skimmer that comes with it has very mixed reviews. I will most likely be upgrading it in the future. I have always had great experience with Reef Octopus, so Ill likely get one of those.
I have an Octo (formerly Reef Octopus) Classic 110S in my new tank. I really enjoy it and its reasonably quiet with a decent collection cup.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could always setup a manifold with ball/gate valves without the reactors. I just hesitate for someone relatively new to the hobby to buy a bunch of equipment they won’t need for a while. My experience says, after 6-12 months you’ll make better/more informed decisions and reduce the risk of getting something you end up replacing because it wasn’t the best fit for your tank’s needs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back