New tank ATO struggles

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I’m having a new 280 gallon tank built soon. I’m in the tank designing stage.

For the ATO, I currently have my RODI connected directly into my sump via a float valve. It worked for me, but a lot of people told me it wasn’t smart as it is prone to failing and flooding my entire house and tank.

But does this mean I have to worry about manually filling an ATO container 1-2x a week? It honestly doesn’t sound very sustainable long term.

I don’t know. The thought of me needing to sit and wait for my ATO to fill for 30 minutes twice a week sounds like such a chore.

Not sounding very fun. :(

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend having the ro feed to a holding tank with the float valve. Then have an electronic ato from the holding tank to your sump. It means that two separate pieces of equipment would have to fail simultaneously for it go haywire. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend having the ro feed to a holding tank with the float valve. Then have an electronic ato from the holding tank to your sump. It means that two separate pieces of equipment would have to fail simultaneously for it go haywire. My 2 cents.
Can you explain? Because if the electric ATO in sump fails, it will be the same exact thing the tank being directly connected to the RODI. Because let’s say the sump gets stuck on the on position - it will take water from the ATO, and then the ATO water level will drop resulting in the RODI filling it back up = infinite amount of water going into the sump. So I don’t think it’s fair to say both systems need to fail to have a flood. Only the sump needs to fail.

I guess I can certainly use the float valve on the ATO to make refilling the container much easier than just waiting for it to refill manually.

Back