New Tank Build - Fish Wish List

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I have officially built my very first soon to be reef tank and am wondering if my wish list for fish is practical, knowing I will be buying a few starters within the month! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I would like to keep the fish count to a minimum with more focus on corals eventually once my tank is more stable/established.

First, some tank details to provide context:
54 Gallon Corner Bow Front Tank
Dimensions: 39" x 27.25" x 23"
60lbs CaribSea Life Rock
50lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink Arag-Alive Substrate
Fluval 407 Canister Filter
Eheim Heater (150W)
2 SunSun JVP-131 Wavemakers
Hygger ATO
(Starting fishless cycle with Brightwell’s Microbacter Start XLM & QuikCycle next week!)

I do have a 20 gal QT which I will use for all fish before going into my DT. I am thinking the following for Fish, added in the following order:

1 Orange Storm Clown Fish
1 Picasso Clown Fish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Royal Gramma

I WOULD actually like to also add the following, but am not sure if they are smart additions with the above 4 listed fish, hence my post!

1 Sand Sifting Goby
1 Green Mandarin Dragonet

Please let me know any thoughts or other suggestions you might have! I am very open to them and would love some further expertise! Thank you so much!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. No tangs? (jokes)
967D0870-8574-4BAC-893E-1ADF56EC6260.gif

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That list is fine, I would add the dragonet way down the line when you have a healthy natural pod population to prevent it from starving
Absolutely plan to add the dragonet last. I definitely read a lot about that before considering as an option! Thank you so much for your post!

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no mandarins in new tanks. they need a very established system to survive. everything else seems fine though.
Definitely plan to add the Dragonet last! One question I do have, the sand sifting goby… with Fiji Pink in the tank… do you know if he will do okay with the grain size?

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54 is big enough for a dwarf angel like a coral beauty if you wanted another herbivore to pick at alage besides the lawnmower blenny.

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
54 is big enough for a dwarf angel like a coral beauty if you wanted another herbivore to pick at alage besides the lawnmower blenny.
I have wanted a coral beauty for years but now that I am doing a mostly dominant soft coral tank I am leery because I’ve heard so many stories about them eating corals. Thoughts on this?

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CB. They are considered the more safe dwarf angel option. I have seen him nip at LPS sometimes but leaves soft corals alone. You never know what you will get though. A pest eating wrasse like a yellow coris might also be useful. Lawnmower blenny, mandarin, and sand sifter wont swim much so the tank might look empty, especially if your clownfish decide to host a powerhead :)

OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CB. They are considered the more safe dwarf angel option. I have seen him nip at LPS sometimes but leaves soft corals alone. You never know what you will get though. A pest eating wrasse like a yellow coris might also be useful. Lawnmower blenny, mandarin, and sand sifter wont swim much so the tank might look empty, especially if your clownfish decide to host a powerhead :)
Great info thank you so much! I actually didn’t think about the visibility/swim activity so that’s very helpful to consider. I do think a wrasse or CB could add some nice color to the tank, I just don’t want to overcrowd!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back