New tank build for a New House

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

This is the first time posting a build thread on R2R but after reading some of the amazing threads lately I was feeling inspired. This build sort of started in January and was posted on a local forum but figured I'd give it a shot over here. There will be a lot of cutting and pasting so please bear with me....

January 12, 2017

So after setting up my 150G tank 5 and a half years ago i was forced to shut it down and sell everything off. I was selling my new house at the end of October and moving my wife and 6 kids (5 kids at the time but had our newest addition 5 weeks later) into my parent's house while our new house is being renovated (expected completion date is the end of Feb).

Reef keeping has become such a huge part of my life that the thought of not setting up a new tank in my new house was inconceivable. As we were doing a major reno, including moving walls around, I figured that was as good a time I would ever have to build my final dream tank. The original plan (ever changing work in progress) was to build a similar size 150G (5*2*2) into the wall between my office and the dining room. The tank would be view-able on both sides, with my office side being encased by a bookcase. For the filtration, I'm building a room in the basement under the tank to hold the whole filtration system. As this project was getting above my pay grade I have now retained Colin from Roof Boutique to assist with the design, build and installation of this tank.

The tank itself is being made by Miracles. Given Derek's great reputation I feel very good about this.....

Now on to my major dilemma....

Until Last week I have my head set on a 150G 5*2*2 tank as i had for the last 5 years. Although the fish tank was a priority, having the wall unit to store my many books was also important as I intend to spend a lot of time in my office. The thought of making my tank bigger never occurred to me...... Then, one eventful night, after the stand for the tank and the wall the tank would be going into was already framed and the carpenter and I had made numerous revisions to his drawing for the unit my mother started asking me questions about the progress with the fish tank.

I went on to explain that that the stand was build and the room in the basement was framed... She then asked my how big was the tank going to be. I explained that I was going to keep it the same size I had before... And that's when everything changed. My mother starting giving me ****, that how could it be that you finally have the space and you're building your dream tank that you keep it the same size... And then my wife pops up i the background "I was actually surprised you were keeping the tank the same size but I didn't want to get involved in your project". That was a game changer for me. If my wife was encouraging me to go bigger, how could I refuse her right???

First obstacle I now faced was, how do I tell my contractor, that all the work he did building the stand and framing the opening was for nothing.... So far this has been the easiest part. As soon as I told him I wanted to make it bigger he jumped with joy at the idea. We then started talking size... Which has lead the current dilemma. I was first thinking of taking it to 6 feet but my contractor has now opened my head to the idea of 7 feet or for him preferably 8 feet long. Now my head was in cloud 9.... Can you imagine an 8 foot long tank!!!!!! Just imagine the beautiful tangs I can have!!!!

I quickly sent Colin a message to get his thoughts on this and weather the filtration system he was planning could handle the jump from 150G to 210G or ever 240G. He right away added fuel to the fire encouraging me to go 8 feet and the the system could handle even 300G. He keeps reminding me that once the tank is in and the wall unit is built, there is no changing my mind to go bigger....

Now to my dilemma.... As one side of the tank is the dining room, I know an 8 foot tank will be spectacular (the wall for reference is 140 inches long). my worry is on my office side. The tank would be 8 feet (96 inches) long and in my wall unit I've allowed for 6 inches for access on each side of the tank for the plumbing and cleaving. that take the total to 108 inches leaving only 16 inches for bookshelves on each side.... Will my office look funny with only 16 inches of shelf space on each side???? At 7 feet I would have 22 inches on each side which I think is perfect. This is where my head says go with a 7 foot tank but my heart says go with 8 feet..... Or do I say "screw it, I'm the only one that;s going to be in my office so who cares what it will look like on my side"....

So this takes up to today. Everyone is waiting on my to make a decision of what to do and I'm torn. Meanwhile I'm holding up the renovations which will tick off my wife and contractor so that's a big NO NO....

The 2 PDF's attached are my own VERY rough renditions of what the office wall unit would look like at 7 and 8 feet. The width of the unit is to scale but not the height. As well, in these drawings I was allowing 8 inches of access on each side of the tank but I was told I can reduce that to 6 inches which would allow an extra 2 inches of bookshelves on each side.

January 13, 2017

Ultimately I decided to go with the 8 foot tank at the end!!! Derek at Miracles is giving us a great price and everyone keeps telling, "you're only going to do this once!!". That is VERY TRUE!!!! As well, I'm thinking about the fish. 8 feet of space to swim in is better than 7 feet... I know it doesn't compare to an ocean but it is our obligation to provide them the best home possible if we're going to keep them in our houses.

January 16, 2017

Humidity is a bit of an issue that we have to figure out how to address. In the basement fish room I'm not too concerned as it's a large room that is doubling as a second kitchen. Most likely I'll put a spare De-humidifier in there. The concern right now is the humidity in the upstairs office where the tank is going as the unit is wood and it will be holding my books. Colin is working with my contractor and the carpenter to address the issue. we're playing with the idea of a exhaust vent built into the unit to allow for an exit of the humidity from the unit.

Attachments

• 8 foot tank.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 7 foot tank.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 122
OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 18, 2017

The order is in to Miracles and the Glass has been cut!!! Now is the waiting period for the tank to be delivered.... In the interim I've got a couple of drawings I'll share with your guys. The first is the tank and the second is general look of what the system as a whole will look like. The system drawing is still in it's infancy.

January 22, 2017

Right night to deal with the humidity we're playing with the idea of putting acrylic on the tank in the office. It will help deal worth humidity upstairs and help ensure no fish jump out, but I'm not sure how it will affect my lighting and and corals...

February 17, 2017

The contractor has now re-framed and dry walled the wall where the fish tank is going into. As well the stand is being rebuilt to 8 feet from 5 feet.

Tank 1.jpg

Tank 2.jpg

Attachments

• System first Pass.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 126
  • Tank Drawing.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
February 19, 217

I haven't worked on lighting yet but I'm things of a hybrid LED and T5 approach.

As far as access, I already thought about that. If you see my drawings above for the office side I built into it side access panels 6" for the external overflow, pumps and access to clean. As well, there is an overhead access of 24" for lighting and general access to the tank. I'm used to a 24" tank as that was the height of my 150. It's a good thing I'm on the taller side which makes it a bit easier reaching into the tank. I think I'm still a month or 2 away from getting it wet and then a while longer for fish and then corals.....

March 6, 2017

So I just got confirmation that the tank is being delivered on Thursday!!!! VERY exciting to say the least. Has to finish curing so no water going in for at least 2 weeks but we needed it on site for the the wall unit being built.

The fish room in the basement is coming along. The sheet rock is up with one wall being plywood which will be used to secure controllers and what not. This room should be done this week.

I got a couple of updated drawing for the filtration system going into the basement which I'm attaching. It has an auto water change system built in as well as a frag tank for me to play around with. I'm getting excited now finally seeing it all come together.

March 9, 2017

The tank has arrived!!!!!!
I'm now waiting on the wall unit to be installed this week/weekend and then this baby can go into it's new home.
Can't wait to finally put some water into this thing!

Tank 3.jpg

Tank 4.jpg

Attachments

• david assem 1 - Tank.PDF
    39.2 KB · Views: 163
  • david right bottom - Tank.PDF
    41.8 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 18, 2017

Got the new pump today.... this was one of the major changes needed when we increased the tank size from 150g to 240g... we went with the 3/4 HP sea horse external pump which is going to be hard wired. This will move 4,560 GPH before factoring in head loss. I'm not sure what the final results will be though once the plumbing all in.

March 23, 2017

The filtration system has now been finalized and is in for production. It will all be coming together later next week. This is the sketch of the system. What is missing from the sketch is he water change/auto top-off that's on the bottom left.

March 24, 2017

I believe everything is controlled by valves The attached drawing should answer your question. Attached are the detailed plumbing specs for the sump /fuge/frag tank. Colin is now thinking of changing the compartment order to take advantage of the micro fauna that grow in the fuge to allow it to make it's way into the main display. The first drawing does not allow it as the micro socks will capture everything. Thoughts?? I need to push forward with this ASAP . Thanks,

Pump.jpg

Sump.jpg

Sump 1.jpg

Sump 2.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 9, 2017

The tank is now in its new home!!! The tank was put in place and the wall unit was built around it.

The sump /refuge/frag tank should be coming in tomorrow.

Hopefully this can all be plumber together quickly.

May 2, 2017

Plumbing of the system is now underway. It is scheduled to be completed today I believe and then hopefully we can start with filling this beast up. Here are some pics so far..

Sump 3.jpg

Sump 4.jpg

Tank 5.jpg

Tank 6.jpg

Tank 7.jpg

Tank 8.jpg

Sump 5.jpg

Sump 6.jpg

Sump 7.jpg

Sump 8.jpg

Sump 9.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 9, 2017

And we have water!!!!!

May 11, 2017

Tank is full. We let it sit for a couple of days before adding salt to make sure there were no leaks. Luckily there were only a couple of small little drips but nothing to serious.
Last night we added the salt an well as 2 bags of sand!!!! The water was clearing up mostly this morning. I'll be rinsing out the filter socks tonight which will help clear the balance of the water.
Live rocks and lighting I'm hoping will be next week..... It's coming along nicely.
The office where the tank is is silent which is great. The basement where the filter room is though...... I need to put up a door ASAP ..... I ran into problems with the contractor so it never got done. Oh well...

Tank 9.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 23, 2017

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been swamped with work deadlines..... the tank is slowly progressing and now has some fish in it!!! I started off with the following:

- Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Yellow eye Kole Tang
- 2 Picasso Clowns from my prior tank
- 2 royal grandmas
- long spine sea urchin

For lighting I went with 4 AI Prime HD units and 4 36' 2 bulb T5 units. The T5s have been running for a few weeks and the LEDs are being installed today. I will try to post some pictures later today once the rest of the lights are installed.

There are still a couple of small leaks we're contending with and an issue with micro bubbles in the main display that we're trying to sort out as well.

June 27, 2017

I added a couple of beautiful fish that I've been on my wish list!!!! A super male golden Rhomboid Wrasse and a lineatus wrasse!!!! ***** Update***** Unfortunately I lost the lineatus wrasse a couple of weeks after being introduced. I woke up one morning and it was completely gone not even a trace!! I lost of Golden Rhomboid on Aug 11 do to some carelessness on my part. I left the cover off for 30 minutes and walked away from the tank to deal with my clownfish eggs. Very sad day for me...

July 10, 2017

here are some of my recent additions..

Blond Naso Tang
3 blue chromis
3 female Tytail Anthias and 1 male.

as well, I came home to find that my clowns have laid eggs for the first time!!!. I'm going to try raising the fry (my wife and kids are all excited) but I have very low expectations especially on a first try... I'll keep you all posted....

July 20, 2017

My first attempt at raising the Fry was a complete failure!!! Many of the eggs did hatch but do to some unforeseen circumstances my proposed set up could not work and i was forced to improvise which is never good. Unfortunately when i woke up in the morning all the fry that hatched had died.

In the interim I also added a snowflake eel. I had one in my last tank and my kids loved see it feed.

Lineatus.jpg

Rhomboid.jpg

Clown Eggs.jpg

Lytail F.jpg

Lytail M.jpg

naso.jpg

Clown Eggs 1.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've taken some pictures of the tank now so you can see where we ended up. I've included some FTS from both sides as well as some of the fish room in the basement. The FTS from my office side has the top access panel removed as we're having issues with the hinges that were used as they are not holding the panel in the up/open position. We're waiting for the cabinet maker to figure out a solution.

I seem to be having great success with my LPS but less so with SPS. I was manual dosing 2 part but found my lvls too high so I have stopped dosing for the time being. I also want to get a proper spare. My lvls (as tested earlier this week) were the following: calcium - 518 Alk - 11.4 Phos - 0.21 ppm Mag 1350. I know my alk and cal are still high so i'm letting them drop and doing a water change.

I still consider the tank a work in progress so any and all suggestions/recommendations are welcomed.

3d74c0fbc02cc21607a876617b61cc04.jpg

b0c17db4d5147d9dd718869defb47009.jpg

fbb768bb6926f168861b0013a9cca81c.jpg

6c84749423d02051ed22c0d35a90450b.jpg

d396a36c0d1dc87f80b69327c5e5555f.jpg

a59301e519453b63b1c23075aef82c96.jpg

58262d7e507243d513652235792706c6.jpg

4c6bf2930f79776c979f130e3a3002e9.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my clownfish breeding... I'm on my 3rd attempt and so far this is the most promising so far. I have 14 fry hay hatched 2 days ago and are swimming nicely. I'm feeding them rotifers 3-4 times a day. As well, I created a slow drip from the sumo to the fry tank to keep the water clean. At night I empty a lot of the water from the tank prior to feeding as the drip adds up over the course of the day.
17e7653f9d0270b1c1df61de3962e8db.jpg

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great so far. It might be more economical/lower maintenance on a tank the size to go with a calcium reactor long term.

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few SPS corals to date but I've had very mixed results to say the least. My parameters seem to be ok:

Alk 10.7
Cal 482
Phos 0.10
Mag 1410

I'm not sure what can be wrong but I've been hesitant to introduce any new SPS as I'd rather not throw money in the garbage.. tank has only been cycled for 3.5 months so it sure if that could be the issue... my LPS seem to be thrilled in the tank though.....

Any thoughts?? Should I try added more SPS yet??

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've tried a few SPS corals to date but I've had very mixed results to say the least. My parameters seem to be ok:

Alk 10.7
Cal 482
Phos 0.10
Mag 1410

I'm not sure what can be wrong but I've been hesitant to introduce any new SPS as I'd rather not throw money in the garbage.. tank has only been cycled for 3.5 months so it sure if that could be the issue... my LPS seem to be thrilled in the tank though.....

Very nice tank! how are the clownfish fry going?

I would say it has something to do with the tank being young, alk is pretty high for SPS. Also how stable are you keeping the alk and calc, that is probably the most important factor. I had many problems when I first moved my tank and really have not had success till I started growing coralline everywhere, that is when I started getting confident with my SPS

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great so far. It might be more economical/lower maintenance on a tank the size to go with a calcium reactor long term.
I may look into it more once I start filling the tank up with more corals and the consumption amounts start getting high. I've always been scared of calcium reactors... probably because I'm scared of change and the unknown....

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few SPS corals to date but I've had very mixed results to say the least. My parameters seem to ...

Except possible in a couple of very small locations, you likely do not have enough light to support SPS. That would be my guess.

Micksfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above statement on not enough lighting. On that size of tank, you'll want to add more light power to it. Your latest parameters, as long as they are holding steady, should be okay for SPS. So most likely then is an issue with lighting.

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! how are the clownfish fry going?

I would say it has something to do with the tank being young, alk is pretty high for SPS. Also how stable are you keeping the alk and calc, that is probably the most important factor. I had many problems when I first moved my tank and really have not had success till I started growing coralline everywhere, that is when I started getting confident with my SPS

Unfortunately I have not be having much success with the clownfish fry... I would get like 50 or so to hatch but then they quickly die off on me... I've tried so many different things and read many articles but still no success. The longest I've been able to keep them alive has been 6 days.. I'm taking a bit of a break from trying until I'm able to do more research, then I'll try again.

I know the Alk has been high. I have stopped dosing Alk for over a month now trying to get it down to around 8. I was down to 8.9 but then for no reason it jumped again to 9.8 without anything being added/dosed... I'm going to be testing again to see where the levels are now... Coralline has now covered my rock so I took that for a sign to start adding some frags. I've added the following so far as a test run to see how things go. I lost one to RTN within a day but the others seem to be holding so far.

Frags.jpg

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except possible in a couple of very small locations, you likely do not have enough light to support SPS. That would be my guess.
I've started to wonder about the lighting if it's enough of not... After watching the recent review of the AI Prime HD by BRS I'm a bit concerned. As I'm supplementing the lights with 2 T5s on each side of the AI Prime fixtures I'm not sure if it's enough or not... I'm thinking of adding additional AI prime fixtures between each of the existing fixtures (an additional 3 fixtures to have a total of 7 fixtures). My rock work is centered in the tank to allow for ample swimming room for my fish and I do not intend of keeping much SPS at the ends of the tank...

The other thing I'm not sure about is if I have enough flow in the tank... I'm moved my 2 MP40s lowing in the tank to around the mid-section as I thought they were too high before. As well, I redirected one of the return nozzles more downward towards the corals as I think I have more than enough surface agitation.

I appreciate all the feedback....

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the loc-line. Add Sea-Swirls. Add two more MP40 at the other end.

So you have four total 48" T5 or eight? If you are committed to AI Prime (not a bad choice, just need more), then put three in a 12-16" side equilateral triangle over each bommie. This will give those areas the needed light intensity necessary. You can always tune down.

OP
OP
Studjunior

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I haven't had a chance to update this thread is a VERY long time so I figured, no better time than the present, especially as there have been some major developments in the tank recently (Not all good) and some future plans I can use some feedback on.

Until recently, my fish, SPS and LPS were all doing great. I battled some brown jelly disease in my large frogspawn coral but after breaking it up I was able to save approx. 75% and it's now growing again. My SPS corals for the most part were all well encrusted and and were glowing to the point I was able to start fragging them and putting my frag tank to use. Then, a few of months back things just went downhill even though there was no changes to the tank, the parameters (tested bi-weekly), and no new corals of fish added to the tank. It all started with my large purple dragon colony. Slowly sections would start to RTN. I ended up breaking up the colony into many sections to save as much of it as possible and even moved sections into my frag tank. Slowly, one by one (sometimes days or even weeks apart) new sections would RTN. Fast forward, I'm down to a few sections after losing over 90% of my coral. I'm hoping these sections survive.

I wish that was the end of my problems though. Over the last 2 months, almost systematically, one by one my SPS colonies that were all doing great have suffered RTN. Some corals, milli's, lost their tissue in patches, while others bleached one day and were then just skeletons the next and other looked like the tissue was literally melting. If corals were touching that was the worst as they would all die immediately. None of my LPS or Montis have been effected and at this stage I only have a few SPS colonies left. water parameters have all been stable except for a rise in the water temperature to 81-82 due to summer. This was corrected within a week with a new fan and the temp is now a stable 78-79. I'm still not sure what bought upon this RTN, if it was an infection or some other factor and I'm not sure if it's finished running its course through my tank. I will say though that it's very sad and depressing seeing 4 years worth of coral growth disappear in such a short time....

As they say though, no good things come from settling on the past.... So now we look forward.

I'll try to post some updated pictures of my system tonight.

Thanks,

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back