New tank build - heater suggestion for apex

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them set on non-relay ports so there is no "welding"
I don't know what tech they're using in the circuits. My point is that it can be a hardware or software error. If the outlet has a method of being turned and and off, there is an added point of failure.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't know what tech they're using in the circuits. My point is that it can be a hardware or software error. If the outlet has a method of being turned and and off, there is an added point of failure.

Yes, in that sense yes, another point of failure.

If one is worried about heaters being stuck in ON position I'd recommend a cheap RANCO (I like AquaLogic because their probes are sealed in epoxy inside a titanium tube or similar inline; used can be had cheap). I've used them in the past and they are solid; I dont remember reading on any of the fora of these failing.

I believe the EB8s have 6 triac controlled outlets and 2 relay ones. I use the relay type ones for smaller devices that may not work well with triac controlled ones; generally speaking anything over 20W will be fine with a triac.

Im unsure what the new APEX does with its new toy looking plastic power strip.....just confirmed all clickedy clack relays on the EB832. I didn't complain about a mixture of triacs and relays so I wonder what the reason for switching was; perhaps that people had problems with low power devices getting stuck on.

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He he, no kidding. They are long indeed. The 300W will not fit in many sumps laying down; perhaps one can throw it in the overflow if its tall enough.
glad you guys mentioned this. Should they be put in the skimmer section I am assuming? This is the first time I have ever had a sump. Ill have to check and see what the length/dimension of my sump is and see if this thing will even fit!

- ha yeah the 250w is 18''....this wont fit in any sections of my sump....

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't put it in the return section since the water level there can change and unintentionally expose the heater. I have mine in the center "fuge" section. It's the longest section I have and even still the heater sits at an angle and sticks up ever so slightly.

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys recommend a heater that doesn't have a temperature controller or do u recommend heaters that do have their own temp gauge and setting their temps at like 79 or 80 so I have evene more redundancy? I have no idea how good the temp probe is for apex. If it the temp probe for apex goes bad will the system alert you?!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ones that do. The Eheim Jager are pretty reliable and accurate

OP
OP
Cody Clark

Cody Clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone keeps saying eheim but they are sooo long. they wont even fit laying down in my sump.. :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back