NEW TANK BUILD

BenJones2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am getting back into the hobby again and have a 45 gallon tank. The dimensions are 2ft high, 1ft depth, and 3ft long. I am going to be putting this in a wall near my kitchen and am very excited to get this started. I have some knowledge on salt water tanks. Not an expert by any means. I purchased 30lbs of Black Hawaiian sand today. I know it is magnetic and to watch out for the sand scratching the glass. I just love the look of the black sand. I already have tons of live rock from my old tank. I have a few questions on the sand bed as well as the CUC.
1. I scooped out 90% of the sand and vacuumed out the water. Would it be beneficial to have a very thin bed of my old sand then put the 30lbs of black sand on top to help with cycling and the beneficial bacteria?
2. 30lbs will be about a 2" sand bed. I keep hearing different opinions on a deeper bed? Any opinions would be great.
3. I know the live sand I ordered they say just add sand and add fish. I would still wait at least a week to add fish. How about a CUC. Would that help with the cycle to have some snails/crabs etc?
4. I have a ton of live rock but am thinking of cutting some of it down so you have a better view from both sides of the tank. I believe I had a little over 50lbs of live rock in it before but it seemed like a little over kill. Is it ok to cut it down a bit or is it better to have more live rock for the beneficial bacteria?

Just so you know my goal for this to have an anemone, SPS and some clown fish but that will be way down the road. Thank you in advance

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back