New Tank Cycle

yllwftsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have been reefing over 2 years now. I currently have a 3ft by 2ft wide by 1ft high tank with sump. I am going to decommission this tank and move to 2ft ios, Innovative Marine Nuvo 20, due to personal reasons.

The main topic about this post is i am planning to use my current rock scape and media. Should i cycle the new tank with my current water, natural sea water or just new salt mixed water?

Thank you

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use same rock. I would however not suggest using same substrate as they carry high nutrients with in them and they also present some other issues. You can use the old water but personally I would go with new water and re cycle the tank using softer rims one and only or microbacter 7 which are my 2 personal favorites. Hope this helps!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have been reefing over 2 years now. I currently have a 3ft by 2ft wide by 1ft high tank with sump. I am going to decommission this tank and move to 2ft ios, Innovative Marine Nuvo 20, due to personal reasons.

The main topic about this post is i am planning to use my current rock scape and media. Should i cycle the new tank with my current water, natural sea water or just new salt mixed water?

Thank you
Water carries very little nitrifying bacteria. Use it if it's convenient but it won't help the new tank cycle. Using your existing rock should allow you to skip the cycle in the new tank, but I agree to not use the old sand. If you're concerned or want extra insurance that the tank is instantly cycled (once you've moved the rock), you can add some bottled bacteria like Fritz Turbo Start.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Y

yllwftsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use same rock. I would however not suggest using same substrate as they carry high nutrients with in them and they also present some other issues. You can use the old water but personally I would go with new water and re cycle the tank using softer rims one and only or microbacter 7 which are my 2 personal favorites. Hope this helps!
I am currently having a bare bottom so for this new tank, i’ll be using a new sand but very little as i can. MB7 are hard to find in my area, they are usually sold out.

OP
OP
Y

yllwftsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water carries very little nitrifying bacteria. Use it if it's convenient but it won't help the new tank cycle. Using your existing rock should allow you to skip the cycle in the new tank, but I agree to not use the old sand. If you're concerned or want extra insurance that the tank is instantly cycled (once you've moved the rock), you can add some bottled bacteria like Fritz Turbo Start.

Good luck!
Sure thing! i am likely gonna use dr tim’s!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back