New tank - first fill logistics question

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my goal was to keep one at least partially filled with RO water. Would be hard to lift that up to stack the 2nd underneath [emoji22]
I thought the same thing then ended up with 3
1. Always have RO on hand for top offs.
2. Always have salt water on hand for water changes
3. Need to put the change out water somewhere so that is the 3rd I do not have a drain near my tanks if I did I might not need the 3rd one.

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same problem and the same idea as well mainly (same tank size too about lol)
One question, can I add my rock during the 2nd stage of filling and will it make much difference to the cycle?
My thinking is the cycle takes weeks anyway so I can spread the filling over a week?

Sorry for hijacking!
Shouldn't be an issue.

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29Gal mixed reef and am hoping to get a 75Gal show sometime this week. I will also be doing my initial fill over a few days, adding sand and rock when it is 3/4 full, then finish it. I also plan on letting it cycle over an extended period of time to be sure it has completely cycled. Pumps and heater will be started when I start the fill. Before adding livestock, I plan on stocking it with macro and some pods, giving both some time to establish themselves.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I always planned on getting wheels. Seems crazy not too. I’d just rather not buy 3 cans when I’ll only need 1 in my normal routine (storage reasons)

Making water, ready to add, and having one for water-removal that is empty is huge. trust me

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same problem and the same idea as well mainly (same tank size too about lol)
One question, can I add my rock during the 2nd stage of filling and will it make much difference to the cycle?
My thinking is the cycle takes weeks anyway so I can spread the filling over a week?

Sorry for hijacking!
The only thing is I would make sure my rock was on the bottom and not the on top of the sand. A watchman goby will dig under ( or similar species) and possible get crushed. Just my $.02.

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the good info everyone. Tank still hasn’t shipped so I have a while to take all this feedback and implement the strategy.

Again, much appreciate folks sharing their knowledge and tips.

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing is I would make sure my rock was on the bottom and not the on top of the sand. A watchman goby will dig under ( or similar species) and possible get crushed. Just my $.02.

Thanks! This was my concern. Was thinking I'll drop the base layer in anyway, guess I could just put the whole scape in, its dry anyway so those base rocks can get a longer cycle

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second SAKO, just make sure rock is directly on the glass not on sand. Will save you lots of headaches later. I have also so eti es used epoxy to "glue" the rock to the bottom of the tank.

Actually recently saw this on a Vivid Aquariums video, so will do. Thanks for the suggestion!

@phattduck
sorry for hijacking bro!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“If” you get anxious, and you want to speed up the process, “and” your tank isn’t so large that it will cost you a fortune, you could always cheat and buy some 89-cent jugs of distilled water. Then use your RODI as you move forward. Best wishes!

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“If” you get anxious, and you want to speed up the process, “and” your tank isn’t so large that it will cost you a fortune, you could always cheat and buy some 89-cent jugs of distilled water. Then use your RODI as you move forward. Best wishes!

Ya. That crossed my mind but carrying all that water home sounds like hard work lol

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the tank 60-70%, Add salt to that. Add the sand and rock. Mix the last batch in the trashcan and top off the tank.

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one tag on question. I’d like to get a cheap pump to make initial fill and water changes easier.

The closest I’ll be able to wheel my Brute can full of water to the tank will be about 12 feet & the tank will be about 5 ft high. Does this mean I’d need a pump with approx 7-10ft head height?

Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok one tag on question. I’d like to get a cheap pump to make initial fill and water changes easier.

The closest I’ll be able to wheel my Brute can full of water to the tank will be about 12 feet & the tank will be about 5 ft high. Does this mean I’d need a pump with approx 7-10ft head height?

Yes you are close assuming the brute is on the same floor level. Head usually means vertical pump but you have to take a slight consideration for the vertical aspect as well. You are very close. On my water changes, I siphon with a 3/4” tube, it goes fast. On my refills I use a five gallon bucket. My tank is small so not a huge deal.

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you run a sump? If it's at floor level you can likely run a siphon there and use your return pump on once the water level gets up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back