New FOWLR tank set up.

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to marine aquariums. This is a 30 gallon half moon, 40 pounds live sand, 30 pounds rock. All parameters checked with salifert test. I know I said I was going to be patient in another post. My numbers stayed so constant I went ahead and added two fancy clowns, numbers are staying good. I have a protein skimmer and powerhead (needs to be cleaned). There is a lot to learn for a newbie but enjoying the hobby. The clowns already eating mysis and pellets. I added some nori, and I have some green algae starting to form. After reading here (R2R) I think I will keep it a FOWLR tank, kudos to those who keep a reef. I did dose the tank with bio-spira when the water settled. I will mention that the little skimmer (hob) is doing an excelled job, after installing, the junk I pulled from the water is insane. I had been ghost feeding. This nano setup is a trial to see if I want to go bigger later. I got the ORA clowns from live aquaria, they arrived heathy and happy. They are doing the quiver dance now, I think they have paired already. They were side by side and exploring the new tank for a couple days side by side, but as mentioned, then full stop, one will get in front of the other and quiver, then they both swim away. It’s not always the same one doing the dance, it’s both of them. The nori settled to the bottom left side, they nibble it some.
8DA470AF-E67C-4742-BB93-4926BF6FA13F.jpeg

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to marine aquariums. This is a 30 gallon half moon, 40 pounds live sand, 30 pounds rock. All parameters checked with salifert test. I know I said I was going to be patient in another post. My numbers stayed so constant I went ahead and added two fancy clowns, numbers are staying good. I have a protein skimmer and powerhead (needs to be cleaned). There is a lot to learn for a newbie but enjoying the hobby. The clowns already eating mysis and pellets. I added some nori, and I have some green algae starting to form. After reading here (R2R) I think I will keep it a FOWLR tank, kudos to those who keep a reef. I did dose the tank with bio-spira when the water settled. I will mention that the little skimmer (hob) is doing an excelled job, after installing, the junk I pulled from the water is insane. I had been ghost feeding. This nano setup is a trial to see if I want to go bigger later. I got the ORA clowns from live aquaria, they arrived heathy and happy. They are doing the quiver dance now, I think they have paired already. They were side by side and exploring the new tank for a couple days side by side, but as mentioned, then full stop, one will get in front of the other and quiver, then they both swim away. It’s not always the same one doing the dance, it’s both of them. The nori settled to the bottom left side, they nibble it some.
F58D5DFF-153B-4D9E-99E9-381178C017D1.jpeg

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Like the scape. Nothing wrong with no corals. You might consider a turkey baster to blow sand off your rock.
Good idea, I could modify one to reach down there. Thx it has been bothering me, but I didn’t want to stir it up to much. Need to hit the power head with it too!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank. Nothing wrong with fish only. It allows you livestock choices you can't consider with corals. I really like that half moon shape.

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank. Nothing wrong with fish only. It allows you livestock choices you can't consider with corals. I really like that half moon shape.
Thank you, we are enjoying it. If I do another tank which is likely, I may try my hand at a reef. My wife wants me to to turn the half moon into a sea horse tank if I get another tank...

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered some ampipods to add to my tank, they came in today. Got them acclimated and released. I will say I am impressed. I cut all power to the tank, no lights. Then i released the pods... I ordered 200 probably got 250 that I could see. I tried to count them to no avail, lol. I turned on my flash light and they were all over my nori I had in the tank, it looked like a Nathan’s hot dog eating contest. Once the lights came on the clowns were chasing pods, so I turned my flashlight back off quickly. I thought these would be smaller, not so, some were 2mm long. They were various sizes. I got these from amazon for $35.00 and free shipping. Dang this is an expensive hobby, love it though.
472F505E-8CBD-43B4-B645-D469E30774B0.jpeg

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to add coral that are low maintenance to add a little color, you could get some green mushrooms. And adding a couple clowns is fine early on. They are hardy fish but I would go slow if you add any more.

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a diamond goby, look how he has rearranged the tank sand. If he had a job somewhere he would be the best worker on the site. He is none stop. He has got tunnels everywhere and I like it. I give up trying to keep the sand of my rocks, oh well. He was shy for a few days now he don’t care if you watch him or not.
FC6DB702-07A3-4EAA-BE1C-476AFE4713C8.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank - I kind of like the sand on the rocks. Welcome aboard

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked Perimeters, a little over 8 weeks since I added water, all is good.
10 ppm nitrate
8.2 pH
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
Salinity 1.024

I am happy for a fowlr tank.

OP
OP
Sako338

Sako338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just had a close call. The guy pictured above, just got buried by accident. I ordered a bunch of snails from reefcleaners and I was moving them on top of my rock off the sand and one fell in front of the goby’s hide. So with my sand rake while trying to scoop the snail up I have an avalanche of sand cover goby’s den. Thinking I have accomplished something, I set back down. I got to noticing where’s goby? Oh cr@p I buried him. I dug and dug in a 2 inch sand base with multiple sand avalanches, making things worse, to finally shine a light back in the cave to see him though a tiny gap. I figured he could get out now, and sure enough he popped out after about five minutes. Now he is rearranging all the sand I moved.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back